• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Sua'ali'i getting 1.6 to play for the Tahs is ridiculous it undermines the fairness of super rugby.

While I support the signing for rugby Australia and I understand he would have been strong on wanting to stay home with his family.

I do believe it’s fundamentally unfair, that in a comp with a salary cap of 5m they spend so much on top ups for 3 clubs

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sua'ali'i getting 1.6 to play for the Tahs is ridiculous it undermines the fairness of super rugby.

While I support the signing for rugby Australia and I understand he would have been strong on wanting to stay home with his family.

I do believe it’s fundamentally unfair, that in a comp with a salary cap of 5m they spend so much on top ups for 3 clubs
I think you need to take another look at the rebels list - there's a growing wage bill on the wallaby side there and it's set to get a massive kick again with Tupou's arrival.

I do agree there are issues with how the salary cap is run/enforced (it basically isn't) and the impact of wallaby top ups on that, but the core of that goes to the discrepancy between the cap here and NZ and the need for something like this to be balanced competition wide.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Could well be a kind of compensation for the very necessary loss of all those other "heartland" players and coaches that are quite rightly given up to fill out the expansion teams - which is one of the components needed to grow the game in areas that are confused between the two codes.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you need to take another look at the rebels list - there's a growing wage bill on the wallaby side there and it's set to get a massive kick again with Tupou's arrival.

I do agree there are issues with how the salary cap is run/enforced (it basically isn't) and the impact of wallaby top ups on that, but the core of that goes to the discrepancy between the cap here and NZ and the need for something like this to be balanced competition wide.
There is no way she is on the Tahs books for more than 500k meaning he will be getting 1m outside the cap. That’s 20% over the cap with just one player

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Could well be a kind of compensation for the very necessary loss of all those other "heartland" players and coaches that are quite rightly given up to fill out the expansion teams - which is one of the components needed to grow the game in areas that are confused between the two codes.
So essentially your view is that Qld and NSW deserve to be strong and stuff the rest of the sides

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So essentially your view is that Qld and NSW deserve to be strong and stuff the rest of the sides
Hahah you're having a laugh yeah?

Of the top of my head the Rebels in recent years have had exemptions to the salary cap, been the beneficiaries of the Western Force's demise, have a squad that has a number of ineligible players for the Wallabies and still sends their squad to Queensland to play club rugby.

Let's also not forget the dodgy licence transfer.

You'd think any Rebel supporters (or lack thereof) would be appreciative but here we are debating how horribly you're treated by Australian Rugby.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Hahah you're having a laugh yeah?

Of the top of my head the Rebels in recent years have had exemptions to the salary cap, been the beneficiaries of the Western Force's demise, have a squad that has a number of ineligible players for the Wallabies and still sends their squad to Queensland to play club rugby.

Let's also not forget the dodgy licence transfer.

You'd think any Rebel supporters (or lack thereof) would be appreciative but here we are debating how horribly you're treated by Australian Rugby.
You bag the rebels for lack of fans claim to be the heart land and then play in a stadium where empty seats outnumber the occupied ones. Jog on champ

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and CG.
I think taking two of Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) is unnecessary. I'd go with whomever is in form of the two come RWC time (right now JOC (James O'Connor) is the front runner) together with both Carter Gordon and Noah Lolesio. Gordon just has to be there. He has the most promise of any No 10 in this country since Larkham, and his form in Super Rugby justifies his selection nonetheless. Noah isn't really a newbie any more and while not as prodigiously talented as Carter, he has the form to be a cool head in a crisis type player if the senior one goes down with injury.

It is now up to Quade to re-establish his credentials to overtake JOC (James O'Connor) for the senior No 10 spot. If he does so, there is a fair chance JOC (James O'Connor) will still make the squad as a utility player. He is a better rugby player than he is a No 10 imo.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
There are rumours that uncle Nick Politis is gonna target Max Jorgensen to respond Sua'ali'i's gate...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There is no way she is on the Tahs books for more than 500k meaning he will be getting 1m outside the cap. That’s 20% over the cap with just one player
The next highest paid player in Australian Rugby is reportedly Tupou, on something well in excess of $1 million a year when he joins the Rebels, you don't think a massive chunk of that would also be outside the cap?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You bag the rebels for lack of fans claim to be the heart land and then play in a stadium where empty seats outnumber the occupied ones. Jog on champ
Can that also be due to capacity?

For example, 25000 at AAMI park is a near sell out, but 25000 at Lang Park is just under half capacity.

Surely the actual number through the gates is the fairest way to determine paying supporter base?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The next highest paid player in Australian Rugby is reportedly Tupou, on something well in excess of $1 million a year when he joins the Rebels, you don't think a massive chunk of that would also be outside the cap?
I am not a fan of central contracts topping up Super contracts. I think it undermines the fairness of the competition.

Only way it can work is if there are mechanisms to make sure it is evenly distributed.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Can that also be due to capacity?

For example, 25000 at AAMI park is a near sell out, but 25000 at Lang Park is just under half capacity.

Surely the actual number through the gates is the fairest way to determine paying supporter base?
At the same time the Rebels are one of fourteen professional football clubs in Melbourne all competing for fans as opposed to one of four. Furthermore you would think a heartland club would worry about a bigger stadium.

There is a certain irony when the Reds crowds at Suncorp are all listed as TBA as they are too poor to be listed and the Rebels cop it.

The myopic hatred for expansion markets is part of the reason why rugby Australia is in such a mess.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There is a certain irony when the Reds crowds at Suncorp are all listed as TBA as they are too poor to be listed and the Rebels cop it.

Listed TBA where?

Reds have only played at Suncorp once this season(Vs Drua) and they listed the crowd in the match report that was posted on the Reds website (13,529)