• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Squad predictions coming through...

Lynagh's inclusion would surprise me.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I might be wrong, but I would imagine a scrum coach works on techniques? Who would know? It's all a mystery to me.
Just get ball to lock‘s feet, then halfback pick up said ball then pass ball. Backs run ball. That’s what should happen Mr Referee. When it doesn’t, one reset, then a quick tap penalty to non offending side. No full arm penalty. International Rugby Board? Are you listening? Scrums are a restart in play for backs to get more space and heaven forbid, even try a move to possibly bamboozle opponents and give the spectators some excitement. Full arm scrum penalties are a blight on the game. Why? Because they are a bloody lottery and boring. That is all.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Squad predictions coming through...

Lynagh's inclusion would surprise me.

I think there are still big questions around what the real aim of this squad is going to be and how many uncapped players get included as a result. There's a lot of talk about Mafi, Wilkin, Ryan Lonergan, Carter Gordon, Lynagh, Toole, Flook and Jorgensen all getting included, but that's 9 debutants in a world cup year. It's even more inexperienced players when you add in guys like Gibbon, Johonson-Holmes, Liam Wright and Vunivalu who are only just capped.

Realistically only around 3 or 4 of that group could make a world cup squad and probably only 1 of the younger rookies, but it may be the case that Eddie focuses a bit on the younger fringe talent in this camp to help get a feel for who that bolter might be. It is surprising that it's then only a ~33 man squad, but I guess if you factor in injured and overseas wallabies it's already easily past 40.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think there are still big questions around what the real aim of this squad is going to be and how many uncapped players get included as a result. There's a lot of talk about Mafi, Wilkin, Ryan Lonergan, Carter Gordon, Lynagh, Toole, Flook and Jorgensen all getting included, but that's 9 debutants in a world cup year. It's even more inexperienced players when you add in guys like Gibbon, Johonson-Holmes, Liam Wright and Vunivalu who are only just capped.

Realistically only around 3 or 4 of that group could make a world cup squad and probably only 1 of the younger rookies, but it may be the case that Eddie focuses a bit on the younger fringe talent in this camp to help get a feel for who that bolter might be. It is surprising that it's then only a ~33 man squad, but I guess if you factor in injured and overseas wallabies it's already easily past 40.
This ain't his Wallabies RWC squad, as Horan says he'll purposefully pick a lot of outsiders to get a look at them and send a message to some other underperforming incumbents. Guaranteed this squad will outrage and get tongues wagging.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
This ain't his Wallabies RWC squad, as Horan says he'll purposefully pick a lot of outsiders to get a look at them and send a message to some other underperforming incumbents. Guaranteed this squad will outrage and get tongues wagging.
As per the SMH article, I wouldn't be surprised to see some already capped Tah's miss out on this squad

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just get ball to lock‘s feet, then halfback pick up said ball then pass ball. Backs run ball. That’s what should happen Mr Referee. When it doesn’t, one reset, then a quick tap penalty to non offending side. No full arm penalty. International Rugby Board? Are you listening? Scrums are a restart in play for backs to get more space and heaven forbid, even try a move to possibly bamboozle opponents and give the spectators some excitement. Full arm scrum penalties are a blight on the game. Why? Because they are a bloody lottery and boring. That is all.
As a prop, i respectfully disagree, and would suggest a game named rugby league for you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Sounds like a great deal for teams that can't scrum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually thought the guys on the nrl broadcast tonight and the players after the game tonight handled the whole thing with class. Even brandon smith took the chance to retract his earlier statement.

He probably realised that it was a pretty shitty thing to say about a 19 year old teammate that he's going to spend most days of the week with for the next 18 months.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
As a prop, i respectfully disagree, and would suggest a game named rugby league for you.
Well. The continued scrum penalties that result in limited ball out is, imho, a killer. Love scrums as a set piece but not constant resets and scrum penalties that see a penalty goal. Tries should be 7 points, as there is far more skill in creating one. Especially if they start in your own quarter. Push over tries and rolling maul tries should be reduced? As a compromise though, if the ball is at the locks feet, even after a scrum collapse, the half should be directed by ref to play it. Some better referees are doing this, but not all. Consistency here would be a win. In the ‘olden’ days there were far less scrum penalties and backs were allowed to do ‘their stuff’ far more. I respect the ‘piggies’. Especially the props!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A lot of the commentary has been around the majority of players being "fit to train" so I've had a go at naming the squad based on 2 full 15s of fit players:

1st XV:
1 Slipper
2 Porecki
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Frost
5 Neville
6 Valetini
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 White
10 Carter Gordon
11 Nawaqanitawse
12 Foketi
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

2nd XV:
16 Gibbon (Robertson)
17 Lonergan (Mafi)
18 Johnson-Holmes (Nonggorr)
19 Holloway
20 Swain
21 Wilkin (Liam Wright)
22 McReight
23 Samu (Gleeson, injured?)
24 McDermott (Lonergan)
25 Lolesio (O'Connor/Lynagh)
26 Jorgensen (Toole)
27 Henry
28 Flook (Perese)
29 Vunivalu
30 Hodge (Kellaway)

With the final ~ 3 being the injured players included:
31 Tupou
32 Bell
33 Rodda

Bracketed players are the ones I see as the most likely alternatives, with this weekend offering a lot of opportunity to shift things, particularly in that 2nd backline where the players could easily swap or shift position. The way things have gone this year I fully expect a few players to be ruled out with injury this weekend.

All this does mean the balance of the squad is clearly out - I'd expect any final squad to have 3 hookers, halfbacks and fly-halves and to probably drop a few of the other backs/rely on utility cover at the very least. It does feel like an Eddie move to really drive competition in the positions by naming a top 2 for each at this stage though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like the inclusion of the young guys in this squad if it happen. Good confidence boost to keep doing what you're doing. Anyone left out of this squad gets a bit of a rocket to step up or the RWC is gone. The quality players will respond.
agreed but geez that Paul Kent is making a dick of himself around the traps
Yeah, Kent & Gould have picked a flavour with this and its turning out to be the wrong one. Funny that they dislike each other as well. The Fox League coverage from Pre-Match to the Matty Johns show after were very fair. Basically saying of course you take an offer like that and if it doesn't work or he wants to come back he can.

We're about a week off a coach sacking or a nightclub assault. Stay strong Joseph, you'll be old news before you know it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The training will be pretty light surely.

They're meeting up on the Sunday or Monday for two full days (from what I understand) after all Aussie teams except the Rebels will have played on either the Friday or Saturday. Rebels have a bye.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would've thought they don't even get on the paddock for this block of training and it's all admin type stuff with a bit of video analysis how they're going to play?

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would've thought they don't even get on the paddock for this block of training and it's all admin type stuff with a bit of video or analyise how they're going to play?

There'll be a couple of light sessions I'd assume.

They need some social media content!

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well. The continued scrum penalties that result in limited ball out is, imho, a killer. Love scrums as a set piece but not constant resets and scrum penalties that see a penalty goal.
I love a quick game with ball in play as much as the next person, however Rugby Union is a different ball game to others, with a higher degree of technicality. You essentially want to reduce the importance of winning the set peice. We basically start playing league.

Tries should be 7 points, as there is far more skill in creating one. Especially if they start in your own quarter. Push over tries and rolling maul tries should be reduced?
Not sure why a try scored by the forwards is worth less? Scrums and Mauls are less skillful? Tell that to the brumbies pack.
As a compromise though, if the ball is at the locks feet, even after a scrum collapse, the half should be directed by ref to play it. Some better referees are doing this, but not all. Consistency here would be a win.
Totally agree with this, if the ball is won without infringment and the ball is playable, then play the ball.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A lot of the commentary has been around the majority of players being "fit to train" so I've had a go at naming the squad based on 2 full 15s of fit players:

1st XV:
1 Slipper
2 Porecki
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Frost
5 Neville
6 Valetini
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 White
10 Carter Gordon
11 Nawaqanitawse
12 Foketi
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

2nd XV:
16 Gibbon (Robertson)
17 Lonergan (Mafi)
18 Johnson-Holmes (Nonggorr)
19 Holloway
20 Swain
21 Wilkin (Liam Wright)
22 McReight
23 Samu (Gleeson, injured?)
24 McDermott (Lonergan)
25 Lolesio (O'Connor/Lynagh)
26 Jorgensen (Toole)
27 Henry
28 Flook (Perese)
29 Vunivalu
30 Hodge (Kellaway)

With the final ~ 3 being the injured players included:
31 Tupou
32 Bell
33 Rodda

Bracketed players are the ones I see as the most likely alternatives, with this weekend offering a lot of opportunity to shift things, particularly in that 2nd backline where the players could easily swap or shift position. The way things have gone this year I fully expect a few players to be ruled out with injury this weekend.

All this does mean the balance of the squad is clearly out - I'd expect any final squad to have 3 hookers, halfbacks and fly-halves and to probably drop a few of the other backs/rely on utility cover at the very least. It does feel like an Eddie move to really drive competition in the positions by naming a top 2 for each at this stage though.

I reckon Fa'amausili might feature in there