• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm 100% sold on Gleeson and/or Samu @ 7 - I think Eddie will be too. Hooper (or McReight) will not win us at RWC @ 7.

Just basing this off the current trends I'm seeing at Test level and what's been successful.

Do we forget how Pocock (and Hooper) were refereed completely out of the game in the 2015 final? SA's dominance in 2019 and the Lions series didn't involve a genuine fetcher at all. Josh vdF is hardly a notable fetcher either - he's a tackling machine with good carrying ability (and height).

France use two 6.5s as well in Cros, Jelonch and Ollivon.
Kolisi is a fetcher?

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
This is exactly my team too.
1. Bell 2. somebody pls 3. Tupou
4. Frost 5. Skelton
6. Holloway 7. Gleeson 8. Valentini

Has fuck all pilfering but can bend a line
You could throw in Latu or BPN @ hooker to give some hard nosed pilfering, also possibly someone like Liam Wright @ 6 to give you another turnover guy without losing too much in the Lineout. lose a bit of power, but overcompensated elsewhere... also a captaincy option..

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
You could throw in Latu or BPN @ hooker to give some hard nosed pilfering, also possibly someone like Liam Wright @ 6 to give you another turnover guy without losing too much in the Lineout. lose a bit of power, but overcompensated elsewhere... also a captaincy option..

If you mean BPA he got injured on the weekend & will be out for the season. Rob Leota we need to get fit he is the perfect fit for 6, although he could be an option for 20 with his versatility.

I just dont see Holloway or Hanigan psychical enough for test footy

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you mean BPA he got injured on the weekend & will be out for the season. Rob Leota we need to get fit he is the perfect fit for 6, although he could be an option for 20 with his versatility.
I thought it was an ACL but turns out an ankle, article said 3 months which probably does rule him out given he was already unlikely.

A fit and firing Leota would probably be my bench option (or Samu). Replaces either Gleeson or Valetini.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought it was an ACL but turns out an ankle, article said 3 months which probably does rule him out given he was already unlikely.

A fit and firing Leota would probably be my bench option (or Samu). Replaces either Gleeson or Valetini.

Even if he did get himself right I dont think he's getting in ahead of QC (Quade Cooper)/Foley, Marika & Skelton.

Leota/Samu prob depends on what starting line up you have, I mean you Leota is an option at the line out rather than a replacement lock. Samu gives more 8 & 7 coverage

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think there was something written recently that suggests Eddie won't be restricted by overseas selections for the RWC squad. He'll get who he wants - would be madness not to select the strongest possible squad because there's a quota on overseas selections.

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
And what did we win with a young Quade? What did the AB's win with Carlos Spencer?

We seem to ignore how important Dan Carter's defense was for NZ being so dominant for so long
Fully agree with your comment on Dan Carter, just need to emphasise that he was the full package. Even kicked a goal in a WC final with his wrong foot just because he could. Tackling / Defense was not his only claim to fame.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I have not heard the term sorry.

like I said I was taught to go for the legs when I was in junior rugby. If the game has evolved and this is now something they teach then maybe this is one of the fundamental problems with Australian rugby.

I am certainly not a coach but if they teach you to go high now then your only promoting bad habits which either lead to
a) someone getting steamrolled over
b) some TMO wanting to interject about point of contact and asking the in field referee to issue a yellow/red card
It is something they teach now. Chop tackles are take out the legs and give opportunity for a pilfer. Bear tackles to wrap up the ball to prevent offloads, slow down the play and potentially hold the player up for a maul. I was taught to go go low when I was playing, but that was a long time ago abd the game has moved on

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Holloway? Born for the physical side of the game.

He's a good tackler, wont shy away from hitting the line line as hard as he can but he doesn't dint the line & doesn't dominate contact at that level.

I like him as a footballer & i'm sure he would be great to have around the group doesn't look like he would have arrogant bone in his body I just don't think he is a lock or blindside that wins you a rwc

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
He's a good tackler, wont shy away from hitting the line line as hard as he can but he doesn't dint the line & doesn't dominate contact at that level.

I like him as a footballer & i'm sure he would be great to have around the group doesn't look like he would have arrogant bone in his body I just don't think he is a lock or blindside that wins you a rwc
Who does?