• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He's a good tackler, wont shy away from hitting the line line as hard as he can but he doesn't dint the line & doesn't dominate contact at that level.

I like him as a footballer & i'm sure he would be great to have around the group doesn't look like he would have arrogant bone in his body I just don't think he is a lock or blindside that wins you a rwc
Are you mad? Jumps in (and calls ) line outs (and can play lock if required), great running with the ball and linking / offloading, excellent maul disruptor...
Struggling to see the gross deficiencies he has as a number 6.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
He's a good tackler, wont shy away from hitting the line line as hard as he can but he doesn't dint the line & doesn't dominate contact at that level.

I like him as a footballer & i'm sure he would be great to have around the group doesn't look like he would have arrogant bone in his body I just don't think he is a lock or blindside that wins you a rwc
I don't think he'd lose you one either if the team had others who can win it. Excellent solid Super player and improving with every opportunity at Wallaby level imo.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
1. Bell 2. somebody pls 3. Tupou
4. Frost 5. Skelton
6. Holloway 7. Gleeson 8. Valentini

Has fuck all pilfering but can bend a line
Dct if a Wallaby pack was picked today it would contain 5 - 7 Brumbies. You must think there will be a huge changing of the guard come RWC time if your preferred pack only has two.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dct if a Wallaby pack was picked today it would contain 5 - 7 Brumbies. You must think there will be a huge changing of the guard come RWC time if your preferred pack only has two.
I wouldnt go that far. Props, Frost and Valetini all certain starters. Bit more flexibility around the rest.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Are you mad? Jumps in (and calls ) line outs (and can play lock if required), great running with the ball and linking / offloading, excellent maul disruptor...
Struggling to see the gross deficiencies he has as a number 6.

Doesn't win contact at that level & not overly effective at the breakdown & is under size for a lock. His maul disrupting is nothing like Swain, offloading yes I agree better than Philip, Rodda, Frost ect. As I said I like him but he's never going to come off the back of a set play & damage the defensive line like Valetini & Wilson nor scream in and make a big hit forcing the line back like Gleeson & Leota.

Just my view of him

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Doesn't win contact at that level & not overly effective at the breakdown & is under size for a lock. His maul disrupting is nothing like Swain, offloading yes I agree better than Philip, Rodda, Frost ect. As I said I like him but he's never going to come off the back of a set play & damage the defensive line like Valetini & Wilson nor scream in and make a big hit forcing the line back like Gleeson & Leota.

Just my view of him
Well, if he was played with Gleeson and Valetini (maybe unlikely combo, I agree) I think it actually covers everything pretty well. And I'm talking about him at 6 - the lock reference would be at a pinch, which is useful versatility to have (for example with the inevitable YCs the Wallabies will give away). Not at all suggesting he be picked as a lock alone. Leota is not currently an option, and Wilson is an 8.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well, if he was played with Gleeson and Valetini (maybe unlikely combo, I agree) I think it actually covers everything pretty well. And I'm talking about him at 6 - the lock reference would be at a pinch, which is useful versatility to have (for example with the inevitable YCs the Wallabies will give away). Not at all suggesting he be picked as a lock alone. Leota is not currently an option, and Wilson is an 8.

Wilson was just used as an example for running the ball, I basically mean like Bobby v & Samu work at the brums but come international level doesn't give a line out option, picking Jed at 6 doesn't give an impact in contact option.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wilson was just used as an example for running the ball, I basically mean like Bobby v & Samu work at the brums but come international level doesn't give a line out option, picking Jed at 6 doesn't give an impact in contact option.
You've heard of Gleeson - I think he was mentioned above? That combo covers all bases - lineout, attacking bulk & work and defence. But I get it, you think Holloway is not good enough. I just disagree. Samu is far more likely to play at 7 (or indeed the bench) for the Wallabies than anywhere else, I reckon.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
who’s everyone guess if it’s not Hooper? It’s gotta be someone in the squad whose position will pretty much go unchallenged.
If is not Super Hooper, should be Valetini, Kerevi, White, Koroibete. A winger being captain is not ideal cause he's far away from the action. A backrower and a halfback are always near of the referee so Valetini and White would be the best options. As long as White will be a doubtless starter under Cheika

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Look at the numbers. According RA Tupou is a more valuable player

I know AAA is a more TRADITIONAL tight head prop and more reliable in these days but a 100% Tupou brings things that AAA can't. Tupou is a better ball carrier, TBH.

If Tupou can be 100% fit like some years ago, he can dispute the starter spot hand by hand with AAA meanwhile I can't see any backrower who can dispute the number 8 jersey with Valetini, not even Langi Gleeson. That's my point.

If you have to face the ABs tomorrow, AAA is my starter THP. I don't eat glass

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hasn't yet played much at Super Rugby level but admittedly he did look good and composed early on. But I wouldn't say he is a more natural playmaker than Carter Gordon at this stage of their developments. Wouldn't surprise me if Carter is No 1 in years to come with Lynagh in his shadow a bit.
He already has a cultured boot and his awareness and positional play comes more naturally than any 10 we have seen for a very long time. Carter Gordon is playing well but it has taken him a few seasons to get there. Lynagh needs to get stronger but otherwise he looks just about ready.