• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dct if a Wallaby pack was picked today it would contain 5 - 7 Brumbies. You must think there will be a huge changing of the guard come RWC time if your preferred pack only has two.

That is correct because from that preferred forward pack suggested two of those props listed are currently injured, one player is based overseas and the hooker wasn't named.

There's potentially a quite different group of players available come RWC. It isn't really a changing of the guard Bell, Tupou and Skelton were all available for the RWC and Jones prefers them. It doesn't mean that any Brumbies player has dropped down the pecking order.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I know it's feeble but decide to pick my best 33 for the WC - ONLY from who is currently in the squad/wider squad/not available through injury (though would want a 3rd HB)

Hooker: Lonergan, Porecki, Fainga'a
Prop: Bell, Slipper, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Pone
Lock: Arnold, Rodda, Frost, Skelton
BR: Holloway, Valetini, Samu, Gleeson, Hoops, Mcreight
HB: White, Lonergan
FH: Quade, Foley, Gordon
C: Kerevi, Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Hodge
OB: Kellaway, Wright, Koroibete, Petaia, Nawaqa

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know it's feeble but decide to pick my best 33 for the WC - ONLY from who is currently in the squad/wider squad/not available through injury (though would want a 3rd HB)

I would be amazed if they only took one 9 with the limitations one bringing in replacements

I think either Nawaqa or Paisami would drop out for another 9

As to the fifth prop, I think Robertson is also a viable option unless Pone can play long, consistent minutes without getting wounded

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I would be amazed if they only took one 9 with the limitations one bringing in replacements

As to the fifth prop, I think Robertson is also a viable option unless Pone can play long, consistent minutes without getting wounded
Robertson a solid chance because of versatility, however Slipper and AAT been able to play both sides could count in Fa’amasuili favour.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I would drop Paisami or C. Gordon for a third 9 with Hodge being able to cover both positions for the minnows.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Screenshot_20230404_132841_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230404_133051_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230404_132941_Samsung Internet.jpg

FB_IMG_1680624671053.jpg

18sqva.jpg

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
If Hooper is not captain (which many on here don't like, despite the opinions of McKenzie, Cheika, Gibson and Rennie) my choice would be AAA. Players like Valetini might be certain starters, but has he captained at any level? There's a lot more to being a captain than being a good footballer. Appoint White captain and you can rest assured every ref will be hating us, and while not accusing anyone of anything intentional, unconscious bias comes into play on marginal decisions.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)

I suspect that we'll need to take 6 props in the RWC squad. As already forecast by Eddie, HIA will be a significant issue come RWC time. The squad will need to deal with plan B's and redundancies. As such, we will need 3 LHP and 3 THP.

If we head to the RWC with 5 props (say 2 LHP and 3 THP as you have outlined above), and say 1 LHP gets an HIA or injury, we're stuffed. None of Bell, Tupou, Ala'alatoa and Pone are capable of playing on the other side. Only Slipper is (at a stretch, as seen in 2022) and that doesn't leave any cover for LHP.

One of Robertson, Gibbon, Sio or Schoupp will be in the RWC squad (or two, subject to Bell's fitness).

Also, 5 centres (noting Hodge is a Swiss Army Knife) is a luxury. Eddie will likely only take one of Paisami & Foketi.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder how serious EJ (Eddie Jones) is on Richie Arnold...

There's a write up about him in the Roar today, and he looks to have carried on from his brother:

Someone who watches a bit more French rugby can probably comment further.

Just before he left o/s a few years back when he playing with the Brumbies, I thought he was in excellent form at the time when Sam Carter was injured and the Arnold twins packed together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suspect that we'll need to take 6 props in the RWC squad.

I agree. I think the increased squad size to 33 will basically guarantee 6 props, 3 hookers and 3 halfbacks.

My squad structure would be:

Best matchday 23 plus
2 props
1 hooker
1 lock
1 backrow
1 lock/backrow utility
1 halfback
1 fly half
1 centre
1 back three

I wonder how serious EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) is on Richie Arnold...

Half of it feels like Eddie Jones came up with the quip about Rory working on the Hino production line and really wanted to use it in his presser and it only really worked if he included Richie on a Zoom call.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I hate this expectation from some quarters that we have to speak of NZ rugby in hushed, reverent tones. Jones has said nothing wrong here Marce; we are allowed to want to compete hard for the Bledisloe, and it is absolutely reasonable that we should want our teams beating NZ teams.
Absolutely, but after 20 years of been beaten every year in Bledisloe, you can't talk aloud. Work in silence and show it on the field

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Half of it feels like Eddie Jones came up with the quip about Rory working on the Hino production line and really wanted to use it in his presser and it only really worked if he included Richie on a Zoom call.
Apparently he met with him when he was over in France scouting world cup locations, so it's admirable commitment to the bit if that's the case.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Absolutely, but after 20 years of been beaten every year in Bledisloe, you can't talk aloud. Work in silence and show it on the field
He wasn’t bragging, or claiming we were going to beat NZ, or any other kind of loudmouth talk that puts a target on our back. He wants us to be competitive. We’re allowed to want that and say that out loud.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He wasn’t bragging, or claiming we were going to beat NZ, or any other kind of loudmouth talk that puts a target on our back. He wants us to be competitive. We’re allowed to want that and say that out loud.
Competitve is a pathetic excuse for a loss. The only way to get respect from NZ is to beat them - end of story.