• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon there is close to zero chance Samu is in the starting XV of our best team.*

He's a very good chance of being in the 20 jersey.

*unless half the squad is injured per Dctarget's post above.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You haven't watched any SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) this year have you? On form Hooper probably isn't the form 7 this year

I still reckon this race is far from run though.

His last game was easily his best game of the season and there's a number of weeks to go before any squads are picked.

I think the biggest issue he faces is Eddie Jones leaning towards a less traditional 7 and opting for bigger bodies across the backrow.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

His last game was easily his best game of the season and there's a number of weeks to go before any squads are picked.

I think the biggest issue he faces is Eddie Jones leaning towards a less traditional 7 and opting for bigger bodies across the backrow.
That's true. But I think he has limited time to get back to his Hooper best, and ensure he can fit into EJ (Eddie Jones)'s plans

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Top level Hooper is the best Wallaby player easily of the past decade but we have not seen it for a while. I don't just mean this Super season, but recent international seasons too.

We're kidding ourselves if we think he's currently anywhere near his best, he's really coasting on his reputation. When he was on song he was hands down the best 'Tahs player every single game, pulling off multiple freaky shit multiple times in 80 minutes. I don't see a way back for him to his peak.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Top level Hooper is the best Wallaby player easily of the past decade but we have not seen it for a while. I don't just mean this Super season, but recent international seasons too.

We're kidding ourselves if we think he's currently anywhere near his best, he's really coasting on his reputation. When he was on song he was hands down the best 'Tahs player every single game, pulling off multiple freaky shit multiple times in 80 minutes. I don't see a way back for him to his peak.

Recent international season. In 2021 he was one of the nominees for World Rugby Player of the Year.

I agree completely he's not anywhere near his best. I don't think he will need to show a lot of it prior to the tests starting to get first crack though (unless Jones looks to go for a quite different 7).

The last game was really the first glimpse we've had this season of some high quality play so he has not only back that up but improve on it.

I just reckon people would be crazy to write him off now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Eddie is going for a small 7, it’s still Hooper, McReight has been quite ineffective, he’s been blasted at rucks easily even when he’s super quick to get to them first. Wilkin is an option but it’s highly risky to throw an inexperienced 7 into a RWC.

Regardless, Eddie won’t go for a small 7. It’s between Gleeson and Samu for me.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Is this our strongest XV for the WC

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Allaalatoa
4. Frost
5. Rodda
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Lonergan
17. Bell
18. Topou
19. Skelton
20. Samu/Leota
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia

If you picked the team today I would have Petaia at 14 ahead of Kellaway. I think Petaia's kicking game is hugely underrated as well, has a great boot on him which will help with the other 2 in the back 3.

Don't like Foley on the bench either, would prefer Gordon or even Hodge for more versatility.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
gettyimages-74266492-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-74266507-2048x2048.jpg

rugby-union-australia-v-romania-rugby-world-cup-3695-mandatory-creditaction-images-stu-forster-joe-r.jpg

Now?

Weren't they the Canterbury jerseys that the Wallabies wore against Romania in the 1995 World Cup? Pretty certain they weren't made by Asics.

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Is this our strongest XV for the WC

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Allaalatoa
4. Frost
5. Rodda
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Lonergan
17. Bell
18. Topou
19. Skelton
20. Samu/Leota
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia
Very close to this
I’d take that line up

my only changes would be
Still unsure on porecki - still hoping for latu, uelese or mafi to push hard - porecki could not get anything right in tour and he has supposed to be considered reliable

frost or phillip - phillip will have more grunt/ or Neville done nothing wrong

6 - I think we need more impact so I think Samu or leota

back line is perfect bar foley - does not want to defend or take a hit
Would prefer o Conner or hodge as they cover multiple positions and not just 10

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
My RWC side
1. Slipper
2. Mafi
3. Allalatoa
4. Phillip
5. Rodda
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikatau
14. Petaia - kellaway
15. Wright

16. Uelese
17. Bell
18. Tupou
19. Neville / frost
20. Samu
21. McDermott / lonergan
22. O Conner / hodge
23. Kellaway / Petaia

24. lonergan
25. Sio - we need to add him from overseas
26. Faamasili
27. Frost / Neville
28. Mcreight
29. Wilson / Holloway
30. Lonergan / McDermott
31, hodge / o Conner
32. Foketi
33. Marky N

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is it confirm that there is only 3 O/S options?
QC (Quade Cooper), Foley and Kerevi will be Eddie’s choice. If Kerevi declines, then Koriebete.

I wouldn’t pick Foley but Eddie will.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is it confirm that there is only 3 O/S options?
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), Foley and Kerevi will be Eddie’s choice. If Kerevi declines, then Koriebete.

I wouldn’t pick Foley but Eddie will.

I feel like Koriebete is the 1st round / 1st pick when it comes to Eddie scraping the oversea barrel.

Our best performer the last couple of years