• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
In no universe.

While I agree that Frost is currently ahead of 2 players coming off long term injuries & personally think atm both those guys are pushing it up hill to get to france both Rodda & Philip have reached higher levels than Frost has yet. I do think Frost though come 2027 could be something very special.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is this our strongest XV for the WC

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Allaalatoa
4. Frost
5. Rodda
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Lonergan
17. Bell
18. Topou
19. Skelton
20. Samu/Leota
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia
There's a lot I don't like about that team.

Rodda has no form, due injuries admittedly, over the past two seasons. We are not short on quality locks and I for one will be disappointed if Rodda gets a seat at the expense of say Neville or Philip. Frost, Skelton are the two front runners, and then comes Richie Arnold (perhaps), Neville, Philip, Swain and Holloway in front of Rodda.

Hooper must be long odds to be in the starting lineup but may make the squad. Even some Tahs fans on here rate him the second best No 7 for the Tahs. Like others, I expect Jones to go for a bigger player or one who plays bigger at 7, and think the options are Wright and Samu. Even if he were to go with the traditional Aussie No 7, I don't think Hooper's form warrants his selection. He may have had his best game of the year last week but it was still below par for selection as the Wallaby No 7, punctuated as it was by missed tackles, being swatted off by ball carriers, slow running and slow to return to the line after having an involvement and cynical play that indicated to me that he is now not able to front up consistently over 80 minutes in a high tempo, high pressure game.

I am completely comfortable with Holloway at 6. He has immense presence at lineout time, is a good defender and more often than not makes ground in contact in possession of the ball. Others who might come into the equation for 6 are Leota and Swinton, but Jed has it at the moment and I am more than happy with that, He would best compensate for lineout weaknesses in the second row if Skelto starts, as I expect to happen.

Cooper, Koroibete and Kerevi are question marks on fitness and form. We need to see them in action to gauge their usefulness to the Wallabies.

In no reality does Petaia miss out on a wing spot to Kellaway. Good and dependable as Andrew is, Jordan will be a star at this Cup and his combination with Koroibete and Wright in the back three is mouthwatering.

Otherwise Bernard Foley would be a step backwards to a mundane No 10 who has issues managing an attack, passing the ball under pressure and kicking. All very important skills we want to see in a No 10. Carter Gordon is our future standout 10 and either he or Noah Lolesio should be the bench 10 imo. Whichever Eddie Jones thinks will fit into his game plan the best.

In summary, I think your team is nowhere near the strogest we can put out for the Cup.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Is it confirm that there is only 3 O/S options?
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), Foley and Kerevi will be Eddie’s choice. If Kerevi declines, then Koriebete.

I wouldn’t pick Foley but Eddie will.
I believe it’s been confirmed by RA, but Eddie has implied otherwise? Might be getting my wires crossed

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), Foley and Kerevi will be Eddie’s choice. If Kerevi declines, then Koriebete.

I can't see him picking both Quade and Foley as O/S picks, and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks Foley ahead of Quade purely because he's much less of an injury risk. Maybe one of them will sign for an Aussie franchise next year before the RWC, that would solve that problem - Foley would be a great journeyman selection for the lesser pool games and as cover for the main 23.
I feel like Koriebete is the 1st round / 1st pick when it comes to Eddie scraping the oversea barrel.

Our best performer the last couple of years
Agreed

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)

Yes sorry might have missed some soup therefore not seen the full frost and still thinking of last year locks

I think korobete, Kerevi and Cooper will be first players picked
Jones did mention it was still 3 players but he will get his way if he needs to open up for a couple of more spots if he thinks it necessary to help try and win the cup

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Weren't they the Canterbury jerseys that the Wallabies wore against Romania in the 1995 World Cup? Pretty certain they weren't made by Asics.
Asics didn't sponsor any rugby nation till the 2000s if I can remember but they should design it now. Isn't it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I can't see him picking both Quade and Foley as O/S picks, and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks Foley ahead of Quade purely because he's much less of an injury risk. Maybe one of them will sign for an Aussie franchise next year before the RWC, that would solve that problem - Foley would be a great journeyman selection for the lesser pool games and as cover for the main 23.

Agreed

The more that Carter Gordon shines the less likely it is that we will see Foley and Quade. How many of us have been watching Japanese rugby? By all reports Foley is flying. At a higher level of comp than Quade - if Quade was playing.

Still I suspect we'll see either Quade or Foley, likely one of them. Or alternatively JOC (James O'Connor) steps up.

I can't see Lolesio taking a slot over Carter.

Finally, like others I see the value of Hodge at 22 and stand-in 10 on the lessor pool games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's the purpose of Carter Gordon? This is a RWC year, there's no point picking players for the future. So for me the only 10s in the squad will be Quade and Foley with a multi-positional player capable at 10 for Portugal or even Georgia such as Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor). You got to make compromises in the squad of 33 somewhere and definitely can't carry 3 pure 10s.

I don't care how good he's going I don't want Carter Gordon anywhere near a 23 for a RWC semi or final. It's a recipe for disaster. Imagine if he gets the goal kicking yips or something, misses the first couple and his confidence is totally shot? Foley and Quade have both kicked clutch goals and are highly experienced. We need that.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What's the purpose of Carter Gordon? This is a RWC year, there's no point picking players for the future. So for me the only 10s in the squad will be Quade and Foley with a multi-positional player capable at 10 for Portugal or even Georgia such as Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). You got to make compromises in the squad of 33 somewhere and definitely can't carry 3 pure 10s.

I don't care how good he's going I don't want Carter Gordon anywhere near a 23 for a RWC semi or final. It's a recipe for disaster. Imagine if he gets the goal kicking yips or something, misses the first couple shots and his confidence is totally shot? Foley and Quade have both kicked clutch goals and are highly experienced. We need that.

The best 10 is Australia?

you don’t believe in him yet?

let’s give him a run in the rugby championship and see if he’s X factor translates to test level.

Completely. We need to get through the RC first and that won't use either Foley or Quade. Carter will get his chance.

For me it's 1. Quade/Foley, 2. Carter Gordon, 3. Hodge (long shot JOC (James O'Connor))

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What's the purpose of Carter Gordon? This is a RWC year, there's no point picking players for the future. So for me the only 10s in the squad will be Quade and Foley with a multi-positional player capable at 10 for Portugal or even Georgia such as Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). You got to make compromises in the squad of 33 somewhere and definitely can't carry 3 pure 10s.

I don't care how good he's going I don't want Carter Gordon anywhere near a 23 for a RWC semi or final. It's a recipe for disaster. Imagine if he gets the goal kicking yips or something, misses the first couple shots and his confidence is totally shot? Foley and Quade have both kicked clutch goals and are highly experienced. We need that.

The purpose of Gordon for me is that he might actually be the best 10 in the country right now. QC (Quade Cooper) is first picked if (and this is a big if) he's fully recovered and ready to go. Foley I don't think we should take at all.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If your taking three 10s Carter Gordon is definitely in there. He is the best attacking and most physical player in Aus now and moving forward. RWC year you want experienced test players which will include QC (Quade Cooper) as first choice and Foley as the 2nd option. As a coach if QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley go down, you wouldn’t hesitate with Carter starting or on the bench. Hodge is a goer and looks like JOC (James O'Connor) will be left at home if he doesn’t prove himself soon.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The purpose of Gordon for me is that he might actually be the best 10 in the country right now. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) is first picked if (and this is a big if) he's fully recovered and ready to go. Foley I don't think we should take at all.
Right so Quade gets injured say at training or first 10 mins going into a RWC semi and you’d be more comfortable with Carter Gordon at 10 over Foley?

If your taking three 10s Carter Gordon is definitely in there. .

It’s highly unlikely 3 pure 10s make a 33 man squad. There are much more attritional positions.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Right so Quade gets injured say at training or first 10 mins going into a RWC semi and you’d be more comfortable with Carter Gordon at 10 over Foley?

It’s highly unlikely 3 pure 10s make a 33 man squad. There are much more attritional positions.
Read my comment again. Foley 2nd, and Carter 3rd.

Let’s see how the Championship go. Carter might move up the pecking order.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I agree that Frost is currently ahead of 2 players coming off long term injuries & personally think atm both those guys are pushing it up hill to get to france both Rodda & Philip have reached higher levels than Frost has yet. I do think Frost though come 2027 could be something very special.

Nah, Frost’s test form last year was far, far more impressive than Philip…