• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let's get to the important stuff!

Why are all Super Rugby teams, bar the Brumbies, fading in the second half? My take is they ain't fit enough and it has nothing to do with their mental state. That is just a bs excuse for not being fit enough to play for 60mins and a few of them for 80.

This has been going on for too long to ignore and all the Kiwi teams know that all they have to do to beat an Aussie team is to hang in there.

This is a massive issue and needs to be addressed immediately. The players all claim it ain't a lack of fitness yet they stop contesting the breakdown and start holding back in the D after half time. A couple of teams ie Rebels have the skill set but can't last.

We can't win a RWC with a team that contains players who can't play a full game or even the part of it they are needed for.
Depth.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I hope they do something with it though and not just trot out a blank jersey. Get the indigenous design on it even subtly to break it up.
Apparently the design is done:

"The Wallabies have designed the white jersey to be another iteration of the First Nations jersey, however, with green patterns on the shoulders and on the midriff".

I'm sure Asics already has the design ready to produce. France has launched their RWC kit few weeks ago

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is alternating shorts another option also.
i know it’s not as easy as a jersey to identify, but contrasting shorts might be a way to somewhat assist when there are clashes if teams are reluctant ditch their traditional colours
Adam, why are teams expected to ditch their traditional colours? Colours for teams go right back to Roman times (maybe earlier) when the chariot races were betted on between the Reds and the Greens.
Flying the flag for only the Greens and ignoring the Reds would have caused a riot in Rome.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Adam, why are teams expected to ditch their traditional colours? Colours for teams go right back to Roman times (maybe earlier) when the chariot races were betted on between the Reds and the Greens.
Flying the flag for only the Greens and ignoring the Reds would have caused a riot in Rome.
The article was posted above

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The article was posted above
Jesus Adam, I have been badly colour blind all my life, I am rated at P9 ie start at A1 and work down. I was turned down by the Navy as a 16 year old because of it. All my mother's family had been naval people and I wanted to join as well.
Sorry, I assumed it was something to do with 'people of colour' an odd title.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Sua'ali'i grew up playing league for Glenmore Park Brumbies from under 8s, he made the PSSA (Primary School Rep) in a number of sports including AFL, League, Basketball and Rugby. He was spotted here by Kings he started playing regular rugby at school and then played for Eastwood at 14. He was always a league kid.

Katoa on the other hand has said “I’d never close out the opportunity to play rugby union because I grew up playing rugby union. It was the first sport I played." "I was born in New Zealand and spent my first nine or 10 years in New Zealand. All I wanted to be was an All Black. I’d never close that door.” So clearly not true he was a Leaguie.

I thought that South's paid his tuition at Kings. He was very good too. Played GPS 1sts in year 10, so was pretty handy. But he was always slated to go to Loig ( Not with South's though which pissed them off)

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
We are still on the front page
HvDtCB4.md.jpg

Rugby boomerang lol
One of the worlds best players that could make the 4th ranked team in the world.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Derpus, I think Wilkins's statement after the game shows some insight “ it comes down to discipline and when the guys get fatigued we’ve got to stick to that discipline and can’t go away from our systems.” ie they get tired and can't function properly....

I suspect Wilkin is working his way into the cup squad at the expense of McRight.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would buy this as a reson for the Rebels, Force and Brumbies with comaparitvely weak grass roots and competions. Thus why the Brumbies have a good recruitment and pathways to help supplement.

But with the Tah's and Reds having the Shute and Hospital it begs the question are the competitions just a too low standerd to produce the relevant talent anymore?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m of the opinion that the term finishers gives players and coaches the idea that certain players are not required to play a full game.

My understanding of the origin of the term is that is exactly what it meant. Goes back apparently to a baseball player who was known for bringing the bases home at the end of a game. As he got older he didn't play the full proceedings. So it is about using an experienced, talented player for the specific purpose of the end game.

BTW the term "reserve" also means they are not playing a full game. In fact it can mean they are not likely to play at all. A finisher will definitely be on the field.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would buy this as a reson for the Rebels, Force and Brumbies with comaparitvely weak grass roots and competions. Thus why the Brumbies have a good recruitment and pathways to help supplement.

But with the Tah's and Reds having the Shute and Hospital it begs the question are the competitions just a too low standerd to produce the relevant talent anymore?
Have they ever been of a high enough standard? relatively few players come from club rugby. Most Super Rugby talent is identified long before that.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Let's get to the important stuff!

Why are all Super Rugby teams, bar the Brumbies, fading in the second half? My take is they ain't fit enough and it has nothing to do with their mental state. That is just a bs excuse for not being fit enough to play for 60mins and a few of them for 80.

This has been going on for too long to ignore and all the Kiwi teams know that all they have to do to beat an Aussie team is to hang in there.

This is a massive issue and needs to be addressed immediately. The players all claim it ain't a lack of fitness yet they stop contesting the breakdown and start holding back in the D after half time. A couple of teams ie Rebels have the skill set but can't last.

We can't win a RWC with a team that contains players who can't play a full game or even the part of it they are needed for.
There is no depth. Barely the full strength starting XVs can compete against the Kiwis, then at the second half the substitutes are not good enough.

Plenty of good Super Rugby players playing overseas is one of the reasons

Look at the Tahs playing at Eden Park with important players resting against a full strenght Blues starting XV. It will be a slaughter

Agree, depth is part of it. I think if you tracked the minutes of profession or semi-professional games many of the NZ squad members have played it would be higher at higher levels of competition. There is also more money floating around NZRU for players which impacts this.

I personally still feel it's more to do with execution and game management. When your structures break down. Mistakes are made. You make the tactically poor decision. You increase the work and effort that is involved. Is fitness a factor, maybe, but I feel like it's more.