• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should just scrap it in RWC years.

1. It's easily the longest preparation time you have for a series of tests. We've effectively got from sometime in June without players getting recalled which makes it easier to integrate more overseas based players into the squad.
2. Are more players really likely to head overseas if their only shot at selection is effectively once every four years because they're not in the top couple of overseas based players? Seems unlikely to me.
3. Results for the Wallabies matter in terms of interest in the game and revenue. It's in the best interests of all the domestic based players for the Wallabies to do as well as possible at the RWC.

I don't really buy the argument that it's a kick in the teeth for players who did choose to play domestically. This is professional sport and this is already an arbitrary rule. Don't get in the way of your own potential success through a rule of your own making.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
They should just scrap it in RWC years.

1. It's easily the longest preparation time you have for a series of tests. We've effectively got from sometime in June without players getting recalled which makes it easier to integrate more overseas based players into the squad.
2. Are more players really likely to head overseas if their only shot at selection is effectively once every four years because they're not in the top couple of overseas based players? Seems unlikely to me.
3. Results for the Wallabies matter in terms of interest in the game and revenue. It's in the best interests of all the domestic based players for the Wallabies to do as well as possible at the RWC.

I don't really buy the argument that it's a kick in the teeth for players who did choose to play domestically. This is professional sport and this is already an arbitrary rule. Don't get in the way of your own potential success through a rule of your own making.
Very interesting argument BH, I have been in the camp of protecting our base but once every 4 years could be looked at as a pinnacle. It could push our domestic guys to lift if they want to be considered for the Cup.
Look at how little our Super players have lifted after Eddie Jones told them to, if they wanted to be in the RWC. Only in the last couple of rounds does it seem to have dawned on some players they were going to miss out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is the overseas picks are mostly if not all going to be in the first choice 23. It's not like any coach is ever going to prioritize an overseas based player who hasn't been a consistent test player in recent years to fill out the last couple of spots in the squad.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm running off the assumption that the Giteau law will be relaxed but with the form he's in I can't see how Foley isn't on the plane to France. I've been the first to call him shit in the last few years but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Considering the fact that the only Wallabies flyhalves we have playing in Super Rugby are Lolesio and Donaldson (not counting O'Connor in this one), I could see both Cooper and Foley featuring in our matchday 23. Cooper to start and Foley to steer us home from the bench.

Skelton as well is a must pick, he's easily the best lock available to us and we would be stupid not to play him, especially considering his familiarity with the La Rochelle players who will make up a significant chunk of France's team and his constant demolition of Leinster.

Assuming everyone is fit, my XV would be:
1. Slipper
2. Porecki/Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway/Wright
16. Faessler (bolter IMO, don't @ me)
17. Bell (Robertson or Gibbon if he isn't fit)
18. Tupou (Johnson-Holmes or Fa'amausili if he isn't fit)
19. Rodda/Philip/Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm running off the assumption that the Giteau law will be relaxed but with the form he's in I can't see how Foley isn't on the plane to France. I've been the first to call him shit in the last few years but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Considering the fact that the only Wallabies flyhalves we have playing in Super Rugby are Lolesio and Donaldson (not counting O'Connor in this one), I could see both Cooper and Foley featuring in our matchday 23. Cooper to start and Foley to steer us home from the bench.

Skelton as well is a must pick, he's easily the best lock available to us and we would be stupid not to play him, especially considering his familiarity with the La Rochelle players who will make up a significant chunk of France's team and his constant demolition of Leinster.

1. Slipper
2. Porecki/Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway/Wright
19. Rodda/Philip/Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia
Like it though definitely Porecki to start, Wright at FB, Lonergan/Fainga'a at 16 and Kellaway at 23

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Might be way off here but I just don't buy the idea that he's not a line out target. Yeah he's big. So are the guys that have to lift him. It isn't School Boy footy, these guys should all be able to snatch 80kg+ and between two of them it's fine. If you have one main target, secondary target (backrower) then Skelton probably twice a half at most then it's fine IMO. We just need our Hooker to hit the mark.
How about like in school boy footy we use Skelton to lift. He’s a monster so if he should be able to lift nearly everybody else in the pack.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
How about like in school boy footy we use Skelton to lift. He’s a monster so if he should be able to lift nearly everybody else in the pack.
max jorgenson would be pretty easy to get a bit of air with skelton and bell hoiking him up - Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) could be a better option as he's tall

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

1. Slipper
2. Porecki/Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway/Wright
19. Rodda/Philip/Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia

I'm not @ you but geez if this is the case we are in all sorts

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Might be way off here but I just don't buy the idea that he's not a line out target. Yeah he's big. So are the guys that have to lift him. It isn't School Boy footy, these guys should all be able to snatch 80kg+ and between two of them it's fine. If you have one main target, secondary target (backrower) then Skelton probably twice a half at most then it's fine IMO. We just need our Hooker to hit the mark.

It's not about being a possible target it is about being one of two primary targets.
It isn't about the strength of the lifters, it's about how high he gets himself up, to ease the burden of the lifters.
And finally, it IS about him giving away who is going up, because he does not have the speed and dynamism to get up quickly.

There is a lot going on in line out but Skelton isn't going to be a sufficient jumper/target to remove the need for a primary target to be dictated in the back row. That isn't changing on the result of that Grand Final. What that game shows is that he does have flexibility.

We do need him for his drive around the park and rucks. HE might not be a primary target but he can surely be a target. And yes he can lift, probably the 7. It is unfortunately going to restrict player choices in other positions. I'd say he's worth it and EJ (Eddie Jones) should be working through the ramifications.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I read just now that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Harry Potter are on their way back to OZ, to the Rebels and Force respectively. Philip and Hosea off to Japan.

It seems like on balance more guys are coming home from overseas than going the other direction. This is a good thing.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

And a good laugh was had by all!

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)

1. Slipper
2. Porecki/Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway/Wright
19. Rodda/Philip/Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia
This is pretty much my team, except I am tempted to leave out Hooper for McReight unless Hooper really steps up come finals time.

I like Gleeson as well but agree Holloway better balance at 6 and Samu suits that #20 spot perfectly

And I want to see Carter Gordon given a crack in the Rugby Championship

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

SMH Ian Payten running through the o's options for EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) - interesting after Skelton's showing this weekend there's still the line that Skelton's not a lineout forward. Given his past, I'd say not, but in the clip above he looked ok. But, perceptions run deep.
He may still only win the occasional ball himself but I thought the showed on the EOYT we could have a very good lineout with him and two lineout forwards like Holloway and Frost.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper/Samu
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia if fit
15. Wright

16. Mafi
17. Bell if fit
18. Tupou if fit
19. Neville
20. Gleeson
21. Lonergan
22. C Gordon
23. Nawaqanitwase

Eddie spoke in his first press conference about how the likely Wallabies blend of natural talents actually lends itself to playing a game built on carry power....^ see above for details

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. McReight (big pack allows to attack breakdowns + best support player - offloads off Skelton)
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Kellaway
16. Faessler
17. Bell
18. Thor
19. Rodda
20. Samu/Gleeson
21. McDermott
22. Foley
23. Petaia

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I read just now that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Harry Potter are on their way back to OZ, to the Rebels and Force respectively. Philip and Hosea off to Japan.

It seems like on balance more guys are coming home from overseas than going the other direction. This is a good thing.
There’s definitely less going to Europe now, although maybe more to Japan

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Such a shame to lose Philip & Hosea. Would really love them to goto another franchise.

can we amend the giteau law to allow all locks to be picked? I swear they’re the only good ones that leave.