• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

WFDS

Herbert Moran (7)
Eddie loves a kamikaze!

CT.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe he could be a good goal kicker?? Not as silly a suggestion as it sounds. Many years ago England had a hooker who was a really good kicker. His name was John Gray. He switched to league and played for North Sydney in the old NSWRL. He was pretty mobile.
Introduced the 'Liverpool Kiss' if I recall correctly.

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Robertson first player actually ruled out or World Cup - but was a possible only and not certain to make squad
I still think 3 loosies need to be slipped, bell and sio
If not sio Robertson or gibbon as solid 3rd options
With Robertson out gives advantage of 3rd LH to gibbon and schoupp

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sio certainly rises up the pecking order of overseas players if Bell doesn't make a return but if he does I don't see Sio being included even if the number of international players is opened up completely.

Selecting an overseas player as the third choice in a position seems pretty unlikely to me as that would get into the territory of undermining the players who are playing domestically in my view. The question should be how much of an upside is there by selecting this overseas player over the domestic one and I don't see that being significant in a player you would be planning on not in the matchday 23 for any key games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But isn't that the point, if it's totally unrestricted, you just get the best - if it's 4 or 5 yeah sure don't waste an overseas pick for a 3rd string player.

Sio is 31, has 150+ club caps and 70 test caps and been 2 RWCs. Even if he's not on the field, just having someone like that around a squad is great.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But isn't that the point, if it's totally unrestricted, you just get the best - if it's 4 or 5 yeah sure don't waste a 3rd player in position on him.

How clearly do we know though?

If everything goes to plan this third LHP barely plays a test before the RWC.

If it is opened up completely and you're pretty certain Sio is still significantly better than Gibbon then sure, go for it. Gibbon has been playing some really good rugby this year though.

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Yes but the main point is sio on form is potentially in front of slipper and bell! So he May be 1st or 2nd picked LH, during the World Cup
I just think the 3 together provide us with 3 world class LHs
I agree if there are only 4 or 5 spots there are others in front and are required to give the team more impact but if it’s open it there are 5 or 6 spots I reckon he’s a chance

korobete / kerevi and Cooper are def and required to have a chance to win
Skelton next in line
Then potentially between foley / sio for next spots

Sio has dominated English premiership and back in form in his prime - with him or bell coming off the bench Tupou they could form their version of the bomb squad

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Is that a standard ratio for prem players? Genuine question I dont watch enough to know.

Yes, & the 10 starts would have been targeted. Maybe not in his case because the chiefs dont have props that have to be rested from England duties internationals mainly play "rest weeks" & Heineken cup.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bugger me, didn't realise that the first test is 6 weeks away. When's the next camp? Do the Wallabies from non-finals teams gather immediately?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Bell actually going to be fit for the RWC, do we know?

It sounds like he is fairly likely in terms of his recovery. His comeback has to go smoothly though. With the surgery he's had I believe there's less likely to be a recurrence of what happened at the start of the season (that was a repeat of last year).

Is that a standard ratio for prem players? Genuine question I dont watch enough to know.

Given he started all but one of their Champions Cup games it probably was about the right number.

I think he had a good season. I'm still not sure he'll be thought of as being above third choice (assuming Slipper and Bell are both fit).