• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At winger yes. There is not much deepth or outstanding performances ATM
Kellaway, Korobiete, Wright and yes even Vunivalu (after last night, look what happens when you get him involved more) are all ahead of him.

If Ikitau retains 13 you'd play Perese on the wing over him too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kellaway, Korobiete, Wright and yes even Vunivalu (after last night, look what happens when you get him involved more) are all ahead of him.

If Ikitau retains 13 you'd play Perese on the wing over him too.
I dunno man. Vunivalu's weakness and height in contact will be exploited pretty badly at test level.

Kellaway and Koroibete please. Wright can sit on the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I dunno man. Vunivalu's weakness and height in contact will be exploited pretty badly at test level.

I can see Vunivalu’s appeal as a benchie who can be chucked on if you’re chasing points with 10mins to go. He offers a genuine aerial threat that the others don’t, amongst other skills.

In saying that I’m not sure he’s shown enough yet to earn that selection and he needs to stay fit.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That and Dylan Pietsch is a serious contender for the #11 jersey. The other winger is Tom Wright IMO
Pietsch is just convincing deserves to start in super rugby as was only a month ago many questioning whether he could/ should retain starting wing position with the tahs. He is way off wallaby contention.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Pietsch is just convincing deserves to start in super rugby as was only a month ago many questioning whether he could/ should retain starting wing position with the tahs. He is way off wallaby contention.
Yeah but that talk more about current form of Hodge, Kellaway, Daugunu and others. Even Mataele would get a call if he was elegible

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Vunivalu needs consistent time on the rugby pitch now, I think/hope that the body height thing can be quickly worked out, and put it down to cobwebs in not having played.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He’s behind Koroibete and Petaia for mine.
I'm talking about Super Rugby options so only Petaia qualifies for me. I'm a HUGE Marika Koroibete supporter, I am the one who call for high profile NRL wingers to make the switch and Koroibete is that, so I'm glad with him. And the most important thing, Koroi has proved been one of the most dangerous wingers in the code, he could be a starter in ANY national team, even ABs

Marce

John Thornett (49)
And probably Kellaway going on last years test form
Today was the first game of the year that I saw in Kellaway something similar to his last year form.

His team doesn't help him, if he was playing as finisher for Brumbies would be a different story for him

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Koro should be the first of the back 3 picked, so the other winger will need to be a 14/15 type

So

Koro

Kellaway/Wright

Banks/Petaia

Koro and Kellaway deserve to be first choice,

15 is still pretty open IMHO, neither is great, but they are the best we have

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Will Rory be in Japan by then yet? When does he finish in Toulouse?

Top14 finishes just before the july internationals, thats the main reason we didnt see any of the Toulouse players last year. They are currently 6th.

He would be very handy come the RC though, both the boks & ab's have pretty decent locks

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I was surprised Kellaway was included last year going on his Super Rugby form. But he’d be one of my first outside backs picked after his test season. He’s a very smart footballer who doesn’t necessarily score tries through vertical leap, dazzling footwork or sheer pace, he scores them because he reads the play well and knows where to be and when.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I was surprised Kellaway was included last year going on his Super Rugby form. But he’d be one of my first outside backs picked after his test season. He’s a very smart footballer who doesn’t necessarily score tries through vertical leap, dazzling footwork or sheer pace, he scores them because he reads the play well and knows where to be and when.
What about Tom Wright and his interception try against Saders?

He read the play, catched the ball and then when he couldn't outspeed Mounga used his brain to reached the ingoal

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That was a good play. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. I’d prefer Kellaway to start over Wright. They’re different players with different skills sets. I’d start Kellaway for kick chase and support lines and bring on Wright off the bench to run at tired defenders. But that’s just me.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I have seen this mentioned by a few people that have strangely made their mind up he was terrible in Super Rugby last year. Reality is he barely played Super Rugby last year after finishing the Japanese season, only got 2-3 games in for the Rebels. One of those games was against the Crusaders where he was sensational and lead to his call up to the national squad.

Prior to last year he was the leading try scorer in Super Rugby before it disbanded and moved to a domestic format. He then chose to take up a deal in Japan for 12months.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wright is probably the form Australian winger over the past month, but being test rugby I'd start with Koro and Kellaway and have Wright or Petaia on the bench...

I do wonder if Rennie is interested in trialing either of the latter two at fullback at some point this year.