• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Swain has a pretty good idea of the rules around his role and seems to be very good at pushing right to the limit without infringement. And a lot of us couch coaches like to call bullsh*t because it was against our team lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Any update of Vunivalu injury? Fall from Koroibete to Pulu is a BIG drop at international level. You need good finishers at this level in order to take any chance. These are going to be close games against Pommies. I can't see an Aussie winger on fire like Kellaway last year. Tom Wright is the only starter winger ATM

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
660516C7-FDF6-4412-BD87-C3278B89A0DC.jpeg

He’s training

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know this is heretical, but if he gets back to full fitness and has developed a sufficient understanding of the game, he could obviate the need for Koro.
Part of what MK was bringing by the end was a great understanding of the game and an ability to impact it in ways most wingers don't. Pick and go's, counterrucks, coming off his wing at the right time and finding work etc.

Bloke is genuinely a great 11. Even if Vunivalu is amazing, I'd still want MK back.

Last edited:

Ranga-Richo

Bob McCowan (2)
Part of what MK was bringing by the end was a great understanding of the game and an ability to impact it in ways most wingers don't. Pick and go's, counterrucks, coming off his wing at the right time and finding work etc.

Bloke is genuinely a great 11. Even if Vunivalu is amazing, I'd still want MK back.

100%, MK’s work rate is insane for a winger. His ability to move across the park and make impact on attack/defence/counter ruck/set piece Is second to none in his position atm.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

In the best of all worlds, so would I. However, we are in a situation where we have to choice 3 overseas players. Vunivalu can do things that Koro cannot. He is taller and heavier, potentially better in the air, and maybe a more destructive runner.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know this is heretical, but if he gets back to full fitness and has developed a sufficient understanding of the game, he could obviate the need for Koro.

Vunivalu isn't signed beyond this season. He isn't named in the Reds side for this week - which means best case scenario he has 8 games + finals (hopefully) to show everyone that he's worth another RA top up contract.

Otherwise I don't think he will be remaining in rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He could still stay on a reduced contract. How much would they be willing to pay an injury prone winger in league?

Usually I'd be thinking the same - but with the new Dolphins franchise and their lack of securing any big name outside backs so far, I think they've got Vunivalu clearly in their sights.

NRL franchises are also much more trigger happy to throw longer term deals for a bit less money. For someone with Vunivalu's injury history over these last few seasons, if the NRL come knocking with a 4 year guaranteed contract, I'm taking it.

Most of the extensions we're seeing in rugby world for blokes with an RA top up seem to be maximum 2 years.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He could still stay on a reduced contract. How much would they be willing to pay an injury prone winger in league?
How many injuries has he had in Storm? According Wikipedia he played 111 games there and scored 86 tries. A pretty good statistics TBH