• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
images

images

images

images
JON has one punchable mug.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I disagree, I like both Burton and Sualli but I think they provide different things.

Burton will become a great playmaker in the Fittler mould. I think Burton will end up replacing Luai at 6 for the Blues either next year or the year after.

In rugby I think Burton's skill set is perfect for a 12/13/15, great boot and reads the game well. Sualli is such a talent also but he won't be running the team like Burton could.

Yeah but these kind of players you have to poach before been Origin players or after that. They're in the peak of their League careers, there's nothing that you can offer to match that.

Maybe a World Cup in home soil like 2027, and no more. A World Cup overseas like 2023 is not the same. It's not really attractive for the Australian sport community, maybe more than a normal rugby year but still is far away of Origin and NRL playoffs. That level of exposition is only compared to the AFL finals in Australia

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Here's a backline for 5 years time

15. Tommy Turbo (30) 14. Selwyn Cobbo (25) 13. Joseph Sua'alii (24) 12. David Fifita (26) 11. Brian To'o (28) 10. Burton (22)

Others: Cleary (29), Papenhuyzen (29), Cam Murray (29), Trell Mitchell (30), Jake Averillo (25)

That backline makes sense if you have 100 millions cash to spend in players and you have money left over to invest in grassroot rugby at the same time. This is something that Andrew Forrest could afford.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am not switched off on the poaching League idea, but seriously, that would be a lot of money to invest in the game at the grass roots, schools or in some better form of closing the gap between Club and Pro. I'm building more trust in the current RA than I've had for ages. I like the bold in their approach but I do hope it comes with some realism that is seriously digging into building the game, not just looking for a magic instant fix.

Doubt we are going to get many more chances like this.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah but these kind of players you have to poach before been Origin players or after that. They're in the peak of their League careers, there's nothing that you can offer to match that.

These guys are hardly in their prime, Sua'ali'i has only played a couple of games of 1st grade. Burton definitely more established but not yet their primes.

I think RA will have a few extra dollars to spend after RWC23, which is realistically when they’d be targeted.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am not switched off on the poaching League idea, but seriously, that would be a lot of money to invest in the game at the grass roots, schools or in some better form of closing the gap between Club and Pro. I'm building more trust in the current Rugby Australia than I've had for ages. I like the bold in their approach but I do hope it comes with some realism that is seriously digging into building the game, not just looking for a magic instant fix.

The guys being discussed would likely go on to have 2 RWC cycles worth of Wallaby careers. I think that is an investment worth the money.

The short term goal for RA should be investing in resources which will bring us a RWC victory at home in 2027, guys like Burton and Sua'ali'i fit that bill I reckon.

Last edited:

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The guys being discussed would likely go on to have 2 RWC cycles worth of Wallaby careers. I think that is an investment worth the month.

The short term goal for Rugby Australia should be investing in resources which will bring us a RWC victory at home in 2027, guys like Burton and Sua'ali'i fit that bill I reckon.

We should go for players who have demonstrated a good background in real rugby, plus ensuring that we incentivise our best players to stay and home and get adequate rest periods. No more sabbaticals.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
We should go for players who have demonstrated a good background in real rugby, plus ensuring that we incentivise our best players to stay and home and get adequate rest periods. No more sabbaticals.

Problem with that scenario is the root of all the issues on these threads - we don't have the cash.

I'm sure guys like Taniela Tupou would love to stay home and rest up, but are RA going to pay them the extra $800k they'll miss out playing a sabbatical season in Japan and instead let them put their feet up and play videos games for a few months? Not likely.

The sabbatical option is the lesser of the evils, we either succumb to losing them entirely, or come up with a contract that suits their financial needs and our playing needs.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
These guys are hardly in their prime, Sua'ali'i has only played a couple of games of 1st grade. Burton definitely more established but not yet their primes.

I think Rugby Australia will have a few extra dollars to spend after RWC23, which is realistically when they’d be targeted.

They were both selected for Origin, that's the highest level you can reach in League and in Australia, Origin players are much more famous than the Wallabies. Sua'ali'i has no roof, for some reason they picked him so young at that stage. This is his ground floor. Burton is a mystery for me.

You can't spend the money like there's no tomorrow. Remember the 2003 World Cup, after that lost final, everything was a debacle for Aussie Rugby until the present day.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The guys being discussed would likely go on to have 2 RWC cycles worth of Wallaby careers. I think that is an investment worth the money.

The short term goal for Rugby Australia should be investing in resources which will bring us a RWC victory at home in 2027, guys like Burton and Sua'ali'i fit that bill I reckon.

Sua'ali'i has a rugby background and according some experts he was a weapon. For that reason Mungoball scouting's poached him. So he should switch succesfully to Union like Koroibete or Radradra.

I don't know if Burton has a rugby understanding. He's a countryside boy so probably only played League all his life. People from small towns like that only follow NRL or AFL, it depends of the state they live.

I remembered one time when the English TV interviewed Billy Slater in England. A journalist asked him if he played rugby at least one time and Billy answered that he never played rugby so...

Burton is a mystery as a rugby player. He could be a weapon or just another Reece Hodge, an useless player with a big boot. I wouldn't spend a lot of money in him before see him playing rugby.

He's a playmaker, to play that role in Union is a completely different world. Sua'ali'i is more a freak athlete like Israel Folau. If Burton doesn't understand the game, he will be useless in rugby

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am not switched off on the poaching League idea, but seriously, that would be a lot of money to invest in the game at the grass roots, schools or in some better form of closing the gap between Club and Pro. I'm building more trust in the current Rugby Australia than I've had for ages. I like the bold in their approach but I do hope it comes with some realism that is seriously digging into building the game, not just looking for a magic instant fix.

Unless a "premium" player contacts RA with a clear dream to be Wallaby at a RWC, just no.

No more player managers shopping around units to drive up their commission, especially from players who have never shown themselves being nothing more that being a mercenary

use the money to get more quality younglings in programs

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
People from small towns like that only follow NRL or AFL, it depends of the state they live.
:rolleyes: Have you ever been out of Bondi???

You certainly like to make massive generalisations that are very wrong.

Most kids in country play both league & union and where I am in the Riverina also a bit of AFL. In much of the Central West, where he is from (Orange, Cowra, Forbes) Union would be the stronger code.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
:rolleyes: Have you ever been out of Bondi???

You certainly like to make massive generalisations that are very wrong.

Most kids in country play both league & union and where I am in the Riverina also a bit of AFL. In much of the Central West, where he is from (Orange, Cowra, Forbes) Union would be the stronger code.

I have family living in Bonnyrigg, Fairfield. There's no the glamour of Eastern suburns but I pretty like that area and it's a good place to live despite people don't think the same. I lived there for a time and I can assure that nobody cares about Union in greater western Sydney. I'd love things to be different

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I have family living in Bonnyrigg, Fairfield. There's no the glamour of Eastern suburns but I pretty like that area and it's a good place to live despite people don't think the same. I lived there for a time and I can assure that nobody cares about Union in greater western Sydney. I'd love things to be different
Western Sydney is very different from small country towns (not that Dubbo is small)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
And Rugby Australia have done nothing about it
I was involved with Penrith in the early 2000's and it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think NSW and Aust Rugby would have liked to do more but the money that was given was pissed up against the wall. There were a bunch of guys who put in lots of work for Penrith, John Pinson and his wife being outstanding along with some coaches and a few others. One big problem was the shortage of volunteers which every rugby club needs.
One of the problems in my time was the club had a very good bunch of colts coming through but they were getting a towelling from Uni and Randwick and both clubs were picking up the good players from that team. Then the club decided to take on an islander group as colts to hopefully attract more islander boys to the club. Didn't work, most guys out there expect to be paid and move on if they can't be.
There was at that time a large number of local schools playing rugby and that is now a handful. Subbies are still doing OK.
There was more to it than this but even I am getting bored writing this.