• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn’t have Beale in the squad unless he has a banger of a super season.
Guy has been past it for awhile.

Would have said the same about Cooper. The reality for both, is that we haven't (hadn't) seen much of them for a while. Age will be a factor, but not a cancellation. Beale is back with determination to prove himself for another RWC. I wish him all the best in that endeavour, and if he does prove himself, I expect him to be selected.

Don't doubt that it's a tall order all the same, but hell, Quade.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Would have said the same about Cooper. The reality for both, is that we haven't (hadn't) seen much of them for a while. Age will be a factor, but not a cancellation. Beale is back with determination to prove himself for another RWC. I wish him all the best in that endeavour, and if he does prove himself, I expect him to be selected.

Don't doubt that it's a tall order all the same, but hell, Quade.
Agree. IF, and it's a big if, Beale has a good season at the Tahs (and his workload will not be extreme, given he will be more bench than starter) and he's in good shape / form, he does tick the utility box well for a squad. If all options are fit / well and in form, very hard to see a starting role, and bench would be a long shot. After this season, who would try to predict which bodies will be upright come the RWC! ;)

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) got stiffed badly moving to tighthead. Tahs ahould have used him and Bell in tandem like brums with Slipper and Sio. He's lost a lot of his strengths around the park in an attempt to nail tighthead, and ended up with the best of neither world (ala Ben Alexander)
Agree. I think Gibsons lack of forward thinking put him there. Unfortunately there wasn’t anyone else to play THP when he was put on the that side. Last season he got used to his extra size for his scrummaging and got back to his usual game; few errors, mobility and a high work rate.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Even Beale at his best had the ball security of a child. Can we really handle more turnovers conceded.

No thanks.
Many critics said the same of Cooper in his career, and strangely he developed and matured. ;)
Given our recent run with injuries, I think any 95 Test Wallaby who is fit and in form (as I said above) would be in consideration if needs arose.
But, I think he would remain a long-shot, and a broader squad place would be a possibility.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So Montpellier has signed Luke Cowan Dickie, the English hooker.

with BPA, that’s two pretty big name, expensive hookers on your books. Hopefully means BPA wants out sooner than later.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
BPA is signed until end of 2023 season, and there‘s a option for 2024.

But its French rugby and contracts do change regularly.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I’d even have Wright ahead of Banks who can’t really seem to nail down his spot. Good squad though!
I would as well. I think Banks is a guy that at the Pro club level is excellent, but it doesn't translate consistently to the next level. I'm nervous to say because I still want to dream but I think Noah is one of those guys as well. We've seen it in Cricket all the time. A guy can be a Shield gun but it doesn't move to the next level. Is it harsh marking? The positive thing for Banks chances is the fact nobody has taken the 15 spot and made sure it's theirs no matter what, probably due to the injuries. This could also be coaching and selection's fault.

I will say for Wright I like his attacking mindset and think the Wallabies needed it after losing flyhalves and regular Insides. If he is given a chance to play 15 for the Brums and players learn to support run with him a lot of meters will be made because he seems very good at getting his body past the line and is ready for the offload. I'd love to see Marika and Marky N on his hip

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) got stiffed badly moving to tighthead. Tahs ahould have used him and Bell in tandem like brums with Slipper and Sio. He's lost a lot of his strengths around the park in an attempt to nail tighthead, and ended up with the best of neither world (ala Ben Alexander)

He'd be playing 10 minutes a game if he had stayed at LHP.

Prior to injury Bell was rapidly becoming a key Wallaby and our likely starting LHP for a long time. He's also got a big engine and can play long minutes regularly.

If HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) didn't want to move to THP he'd be looking for another team or having his development and earnings completely curtailed.

The Slipper and Sio situation only worked contract wise because both were already well established and had a chunk of their salaries paid by the Wallabies. Even then it ultimately resulted in Sio falling down the pecking order.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He'd be playing 10 minutes a game if he had stayed at LHP.

Prior to injury Bell was rapidly becoming a key Wallaby and our likely starting LHP for a long time. He's also got a big engine and can play long minutes regularly.

If HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) didn't want to move to THP he'd be looking for another team or having his development and earnings completely curtailed.

The Slipper and Sio situation only worked contract wise because both were already well established and had a chunk of their salaries paid by the Wallabies. Even then it ultimately resulted in Sio falling down the pecking order.

You don't think Coleman would have taken the opportunity to split the workload between 2 high quality looseheads? Obviously Bell was on a serious trajectory but even now his scrummaging is still a work in progress. At the time HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) switched he was clearly the better scrummager of the two. Accept that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) might have had a financial incentive to switch as well but he's moved from being in the top 3 or 4 looseheads in the country to well down the pecking order at tighthead.

Not sure Sio fell too far down the pecking order, he basically slipped to 3rd choice behind Bell and Slipper and that was partly due to him seemingly playing injured (until this year when he seemed fit and powerful again, as noted of course by BR but also many others in this forum).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You don't think Coleman would have taken the opportunity to split the workload between 2 high quality looseheads? Obviously Bell was on a serious trajectory but even now his scrummaging is still a work in progress. At the time HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) switched he was clearly the better scrummager of the two. Accept that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) might have had a financial incentive to switch as well but he's moved from being in the top 3 or 4 looseheads in the country to well down the pecking order at tighthead.

Not sure Sio fell too far down the pecking order, he basically slipped to 3rd choice behind Bell and Slipper and that was partly due to him seemingly playing injured (until this year when he seemed fit and powerful again, as noted of course by BR but also many others in this forum).

Well no, I think Coleman would also prefer to have his two best props on the field for the majority of the game by playing Johnson-Holmes at tight head.

That is correct that Johnson-Holmes was a better scrummager initially but it was also very clear that Bell was going to be an incredible player very quickly. His trajectory was always very steep. Johnson-Holmes played tight head in the under 20s. He moved to LHP initially because that is where there was opportunity at the Tahs.

Johnson-Holmes has had some inopportune injuries. I still think he's in a similar space. If he can put together a strong Super Rugby season I think he's every chance of going to the RWC. His play around the field and ability to play both sides of the scrum make him a good option. At THP I think it's pretty open after Ala'alatoa and Tupou and there's every chance Tupou can't go to the RWC.

If you looked at the Brumbies situation and they didn't have Ala'alatoa at THP and instead had someone pretty average, I think it would have been highly likely that Slipper switched sides at Super Rugby level. It just doesn't make sense to have one of your clearly best two props on the bench for most of the game.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Assuming HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) isn't ready at the start of the season, Holtz will start at THP for the Tahs. Holtz is a massive body, and still very young. If he can continue to develop, it may become tough for HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to win the starting THP role at the Tahs.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
So Montpellier has signed Luke Cowan Dickie, the English hooker.

with BPA, that’s two pretty big name, expensive hookers on your books. Hopefully means BPA wants out sooner than later.
They had Guirado last year so I think they like 2 top Hookers