• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Dunno, he seems to be progressing well with his injury but I guess super season comes & goes really quickly.

I also think that Valetini's so much older than Harry but there's only a year separating them. Both are so young, 24 & 23. Gregory Alldritt only really came into his own in the past couple years. Same for Savea when he was Harry's age.

1st time in a very long time the Rebels currently dont have someone in a moon boot

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fucking tendons and ligaments eh. Useless.
An old physio I used to know was discussing tendon/ligaments issue and he said he had seen a large increase in the numbers of them, his view was that hard physical work as opposed to training/gym work built stronger Tendons and Ligaments. He said this issue is just going to get worse. This discussion was about 20 years ago.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
An old physio I used to know was discussing tendon/ligaments issue and he said he had seen a large increase in the numbers of them, his view was that hard physical work as opposed to training/gym work built stronger Tendons and Ligaments. He said this issue is just going to get worse. This discussion was about 20 years ago.
You'd think professional rugby players would have plenty of functional strength. I wonder if it has any correlation with increased muscle mass/weight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd think professional rugby players would have plenty of functional strength.
A massive part is that players are becoming bigger and stronger which makes all the forces at play larger but ligaments and tendons don't really get any stronger.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
You'd think professional rugby players would have plenty of functional strength.
I think they have massive amounts of functional strength but it is the strength of tendons etc that often brings, particulaly young players down, on the plus side the flexibility and speed are what makes them attractive. My only thought (zero medical knowledge) is, are the muscles mass they are building too much for their tendons and Ligaments?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
A massive part is that players are becoming bigger and stronger which makes all the forces at play larger but ligaments and tendons don't really get any stronger.
Based on conversations in the past I understood that tendons and ligaments got stronger around mid twenties.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder what legality of replacing our athletes tendons with some kind of super strong, flexible fiber like material would be. Kinda like Wolverine but less murdery.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think with the Wilson conversation, where people who support him can see an issue with selections is that the alternatives are really being selected on performances at anywhere near the same level as what Wilson is being judged by.

To say Gleeson had a good Super Season and then looked good for Aus A therefore deserved his selection for the Wallabies, but then to say Wilson didn't take his chance at Test level while not giving him the same credit for Super Rugby form. He didn't get to impress at Aus A level. That doesn't quite seem like a level playing field.

What are the thoughts now on seeing Gleeson at Test level? His Test performance is a
like for like comparison to Wilson.

Holloway gets the gig at 6 on his lineout ability, don't see any other aspect of his game bettering Wilson's.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Rennies work ons could be construed as gaslighting. Wilson and Lolesio were given work ons and were back up (for the most part) for the test squad. While Gleeson and Donaldson got to play rugby in the Aus A team. Rennie then picks the blokes who got to play.
To me a wider issue with a player like Wilson is our ability to retain depth/talent. He’s second best to Valetini at test level at present and lacks the versatility of other options at 6. Still he’s a good player. Does he hang around and hope his improvements are noticed and he gets another chance? Does he wait out Rennie and hope the new guy rates him? Or does he go OS and possibly get paid more?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Think with the Wilson conversation, where people who support him can see an issue with selections is that the alternatives are really being selected on performances at anywhere near the same level as what Wilson is being judged by.

To say Gleeson had a good Super Season and then looked good for Aus A therefore deserved his selection for the Wallabies, but then to say Wilson didn't take his chance at Test level while not giving him the same credit for Super Rugby form. He didn't get to impress at Aus A level. That doesn't quite seem like a level playing field.

What are the thoughts now on seeing Gleeson at Test level? His Test performance is a
like for like comparison to Wilson.

Holloway gets the gig at 6 on his lineout ability, don't see any other aspect of his game bettering Wilson's.
I'd say that Wilson's form was better the Gleeson, but one was picked on potential other has been around a while.. I would have taken Wilson on the end-of-year tour, and would be doing my best to give him every chance to find his feet as he is probably the most upside of our 6 / 8's outside of Valentini.

But his not made the case in tests that he is an auto-selection over the others, so it is what it is..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wilson has played at the highest level. The only way to judge Gleeson is to put him there as well. Not long to go, decisions have to be made quickly.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If Bobby V goes down, a back three of Leota, Samu and Hooper is well and truly out of balance. Even putting Gleeson instead of Samu makes it even worse.

Wilson should be picked over Samu or Gleeson because he's the closest like for like ie a hard ball runner.

Scary to see similar parallels between Wilson and Higginbotham to be honest from what they say about feedback from a HC.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wilson should be picked over Samu or Gleeson because he's the closest like for like ie a hard ball runner.

I doubt Samu is being looked at as the backup no 8 though, except for maybe a RWC game against Portugal…

He’s the reserve backrower, and he’s nailed that position.

There’s possibly still room in the squad for one of either Wilson or Gleeson, but it could be tight.

Leota could even potentially cover no 8 as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We have no replacement for Bobby. Leota is alright on the carry but does he have the ability to hit the gainline against 2-3 set defenders as Bobby does? nup.

We probably need to adjust how we play if Bobby goes down.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wilson has played at the highest level. The only way to judge Gleeson is to put him there as well. Not long to go, decisions have to be made quickly.
I just thought it was clear enough Gleeson wasn’t ready. Don’t get wrong - impressive young guy. Will be very good in a few years. Ironically someone who could’ve really benefitted from a full offseason. Personally I’m not even sure he is in the Tahs best backrow - but then I really rate Harris.

Rennie absolutely has the right to pick and choose who he gives opportunists too. There are always unlucky losers - that is life. And I agree Wilson hasn’t demanded selection. As a Qld fan I’ll be very disappointed if he goes OS, but that is part and parcel of the landscape.

I originally weighed in to this in reply to Braveheart who claimed Gleeson earned his spot. And that was clearly a popular opinion. Personally I don’t agree - not to knock the bloke but Rennie should’ve taken the best team he could and I don’t agree Gleeson is there yet. The other problem is that Rennie is not being consistent. He is applying different standards to different players. He is talking in public about rewarding discipline and not following through. He is taking about earning the right and not selecting to reflect that (IMO).

I am actually a big fan of Rennie’s and I think he has done a lot right. But he - like every coach every - has made some mistakes too IMO and his inconsistent treatment of players is one of them.

Having said all that he appears to be strongly supported by the majority of the players group so generally the players must be fine with it.

Fair or unfair - Wilson needs to go up another level and, if he does get another chance, grab it with both hands.

If it doesn’t work out then he could do far worse the look at the pathway Holloway has taken.