• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Daily reminder that R.A. chose to pay Vunivalu ~800k/yr instead of keeping the known quantity world class winger Koroibete.

These apparatchiks don't have a clue.
So the decision was made by apparatchiks, eh, not the best rugby brains in the land? Can you name names?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
B643313D-AD82-4938-9FF7-8FD31DC4D4B5.jpeg

Not mad about this quote at all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No 8 is a potential game-changing problem area. One long term injury to Valetini and on current strength in the position we are up shit creek.

The standout alternative is probably Isi Naisarani but under the present Giteau Law he is ineligible. If anything, eligibility looks like being tightened up rather than relaxed.

Harry Wilson has his admirers, not all in Red. But it is becoming clear that Dave Rennie isn't one. Personally, Harry reminds me a lot of Melon Finegan, and based on how he played at the U20s Championships a couple of years ago and his present skill strengths, I for one think he would be better suited at 6 than at 8. And contrary to some opinions expressed here, Harry really looks to me to hit hard in defence, if a little late on occasions.

Langi Gleeson seems to be the next most popular option. In truth, he has tremendous potential but is very inexperienced and probably a bit undersized for test match battle atm.

Pete Samu is the alternative at the Brumbies and has shown on numerous occasions he has the footwork that Rennie is looking for in a No 8. He tends to play wider that Rob Valetini and that might count against him in terms of potentially being a starting No 8. He is also in some views a more natural No 7 in the way the game is played internationally today, and has carved out a role for himself as essentially a must have bench cover for the whole backrow.

Will Harris is the other logical option. Played No 8 in the U20s team that included Harry Wilson at 6. Has better footwork than Harry but isn't as physical in contact as Harry. I think Will runs the risk of not meeting Rennie's ideal No 8 just as Wilson seems to be in that boat, but for different reasons. And to further complicate matters, Will and Gleeson will be competing for the same spot at the Tahs in SRP23.

So, ideally Naisarani can be enticed to sign with a Super Rugby side for 2024 (assuming he is available) and therefore become test eligible. As others have observed, I think the whole backrow becomes unbalanced if Samu plays 8 while Hooper owns the 7 spot. But really we have no other alternative type of 7 other than Samu if Hooper's style of play is determined to be not what is needed. McReight is too much alike to Hooper if the coaches want to go in another direction, as most of the world seems to be doing now. So failing Naisarani, it will be up to Rennie and his Assistants to make a decision between Wilson and Harris where neither is entirely what they seem to want. Anyway, that's how it all appears to me.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No 8 is a potential game-changing problem area. One long term injury to Valetini and on current strength in the position we are up shit creek.

The standout alternative is probably Isi Naisarani but under the present Giteau Law he is ineligible. If anything, eligibility looks like being tightened up rather than relaxed.

Harry Wilson has his admirers, not all in Red. But it is becoming clear that Dave Rennie isn't one. Personally, Harry reminds me a lot of Melon Finegan, and based on how he played at the U20s Championships a couple of years ago and his present skill strengths, I for one think he would be better suited at 6 than at 8. And contrary to some opinions expressed here, Harry really looks to me to hit hard in defence, if a little late on occasions.

Langi Gleeson seems to be the next most popular option. In truth, he has tremendous potential but is very inexperienced and probably a bit undersized for test match battle atm.

Pete Samu is the alternative at the Brumbies and has shown on numerous occasions he has the footwork that Rennie is looking for in a No 8. He tends to play wider that Rob Valetini and that might count against him in terms of potentially being a starting No 8. He is also in some views a more natural No 7 in the way the game is played internationally today, and has carved out a role for himself as essentially a must have bench cover for the whole backrow.

Will Harris is the other logical option. Played No 8 in the U20s team that included Harry Wilson at 6. Has better footwork than Harry but isn't as physical in contact as Harry. I think Will runs the risk of not meeting Rennie's ideal No 8 just as Wilson seems to be in that boat, but for different reasons. And to further complicate matters, Will and Gleeson will be competing for the same spot at the Tahs in SRP23.

So, ideally Naisarani can be enticed to sign with a Super Rugby side for 2024 (assuming he is available) and therefore become test eligible. As others have observed, I think the whole backrow becomes unbalanced if Samu plays 8 while Hooper owns the 7 spot. But really we have no other alternative type of 7 other than Samu if Hooper's style of play is determined to be not what is needed. McReight is too much alike to Hooper if the coaches want to go in another direction, as most of the world seems to be doing now. So failing Naisarani, it will be up to Rennie and his Assistants to make a decision between Wilson and Harris where neither is entirely what they seem to want. Anyway, that's how it all appears to me.

What are your thoughts on a Samu 8 and Gamble 7 combo?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Also BR, thinking of the whole backrow options if Valetini goes down.

I think Leota is actually the most like-for-like we have had in the recent set-up, despite Leota playing 6.

So what are your thoughts on a backrow of:

6. Leota
7. Hooper/Gamble
8. Samu

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gamble could well be the best No 7 at the Tahs in 23 but is unlikely to win enough game time to make the spot his at the Wallabies.

Rob Leota is another player who plays close to what Valetini offers, but I understand he will be out injured for all or most of the SRP23 season. If he's available he could come into contention for either 6 or 8 depending on how our first choices, Holloway and Valetini, are holding up come RWC time.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like Harris too but he rarely comes up in conversations. Not sure why now you mention it.
Liam Wright is not too short but could do with another 5kgs. He's a smart player and I like that.
according to Wiki
Height1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
Weight101 kg (15 st 13 lb;
Yeah - sorry, meant to say if anything happened to Valetini. If he’s fit agree that Harris is not in the picture.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Yet a lot of others who have struggled (Gordon, Holloway, Poreki, Paisami etc) all still get picked regardless

Anyone would be pissed with Rennie's coin toss selections
Gordon because there hasn’t been a clear pick ahead of him for the back up 9 role.
Rate probably now but we Didn’t know that till recently.
Paisami has previously been quite good so not sure if lump him in there. He fell off a bit this tour and foketi stepped up when available. I don’t think anyone expects Paisami to start when len and Samu are available.
Difference with Harry is there’s pretty clearly people ahead of him to start and then you’d even say very stiff competition for the reserve spot between swinton, leota, samu etc.
Second row and back row are very competitive. I’d say forward pack in general with some genuinely good players in there. You really need to shine in the back row to be amongst it. I just don’t think he’s done that yet.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
All of this is being written with the fact Valetini is the Wallaby no.8 whenever fit

I like Harris. I think he's been one of the Tahs most consistent in a team that was performing badly and injured. He was probably starting before he should have been if the Tahs could recruit/retain talent in the previous years. He's listed as 194cm 107kg and he's 22. No reason he won't end up comfortably moving around at 110kg. He is a genuine 8 with ball running ability. - Game time probably the thing to hold him back leading into this WC

Gleeson & Samu I have put together as I think offer a similar package at this point (leg speed, tackling) in time with Gleeson having scope for more physical maturity over the next couple of years. I don't think either would be our 1st choice no.8 but would be my first name put down on the bench for their ability to cover all backrow positions.

Harry Wilson: Genuine 8 that needs refinement in his game to take it beyond being a boom rookie. If he has a full year at the Reds at 8 he could be in the RWC squad, but he could just as easily miss out if they are treading water.

The idea of Naisarani could be a good one but will only be looked at if we have a few injuries and dependant on other overseas picks unless he signs with an Australian side which I find hard to see since it would be post RWC.