• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Agree with your comment but it doesn't hold water in the corporate world.
Which part?

The big 4 professional service firms all had retirement ages for partners (mid 50's) which in recent years has been shelved due to age discrimination cases being brought in. I can personally attest I had a partner crack the shits with this rule, move to one of the 'mid-tiers' and continue doing the same work across the road.

Inversely, I had a partner who was retiring and the two years leading up to it, he fully checked out and was doing everything in his power to do the bare minimum to ensure he met budget to get his slice of the EOY profits.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think Rennie has made some key mistakes which means he should not be retained.

But if you think hiring a succesful Crusaders coach is going to result in anything but very minor improvements then we've been there, done that.

Dude will be going from a perfect rugby machine to a systemically broken and failing sporting union.
So would u recommend a broken head coach for a broken organization?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Obviously not. But 'dreaming' of having x coach is kinda pointless.

As an aside, I think Robertson would be a fool to take the Wallabies job.
I don't think anyone can be a fool for taking any tier 1 head coaching job - if they want to coach at test level.

Vacancies are determined by timing more than anything else; very rarely can you pick from a heap of options.

Could end up waiting 8+ years (two WC cycles) for your "dream" job

Australia is still a more attractive job than Argentina, Scotland or Wales. South Africa will never hire a foreigner, France the same. England have a new coach... if Robertson doesn't get NZ there isn't much left!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think anyone can be a fool for taking any tier 1 head coaching job - if they want to coach at test level.

Vacancies are determined by timing more than anything else; very rarely can you pick from a heap of options.

Could end up waiting 8+ years (two WC cycles) for your "dream" job

Australia is still a more attractive job than Argentina, Scotland or Wales. South Africa will never hire a foreigner, France the same. England have a new coach... if Robertson doesn't get NZ there isn't much left!
Id take Japan money over putting up with this shit show.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Surely you bring in for a few sessions purely for how to dismantle England. We're almost guaranteed to play them at the RWC, Eddie will know all the soft shoulders and player deficiencies.
You banking on us losing to Wales or England losing to the Argies in the pools?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The big 4 professional service firms all had retirement ages for partners (mid 50's) which in recent years has been shelved due to age discrimination cases being brought in. I can personally attest I had a partner crack the shits with this rule, move to one of the 'mid-tiers' and continue doing the same work across the road.

This is quite an interesting situation and very much off topic but I work in the same industry and have seen a few interesting cases unfold.

Not big 4 but I know a private firm who enforced a 60yr retirement cut-off, enforced it on several partners over the last couple of years and then surprise surprise, the managing partner reached that age and decided to do a 'routine contract update' and removed that clause from the contracts (with board approval) amongst other changes. Several of the recently 'retired' partners successfully argued they'd been stitched up and got additional settlements.

To try and link this tangent loosely back to rugby, these partners all signed contracts way back when they get promoted knowing what the lay of the land is. It's similar to a rugby player signing a 3 year deal, reaching the end of the contract and saying they want more money and won't be leaving. They would be told tough biccies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I do, if you are the kind of manager who goes behind employees' backs looking for someone to work with you and doesn't even mention it to you. Good luck in your management career - Not...
It takes some level of self entitlement/insecurity to think a that an employer can’t consider recruiting a highly skilled individual without first consulting an existing employee.

Given that same employee has a poor success rate, has failed in their own personnel management role with key staff quitting and also been holding discussions with other potential employers.

It says more about Rennie that he wouldn’t consider working with someone as knowledgeable as Eddie, Jake White had no issue with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
How many
Is it?

First tier nations that aren't a shit show
Easier job for fat stacks

Us
Which first tier nations aren't a shit show?

NZ - spent much of 2022 pretending that Foster was a good choice.
Sth Af - Rassie.
England - sacked Eddie 9 mo before a RWC, despite Eddie being all about RWCs.
Ireland - they seem to administer well, but what's the Post-Sexton future? And is there a vacancy?
Scotland, Wales - You're 1-2 injuries away from irrelevance.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Rennie has made some key mistakes which means he should not be retained.

But if you think hiring a succesful Crusaders coach is going to result in anything but very minor improvements then we've been there, done that.

Dude will be going from a perfect rugby machine to a systemically broken and failing sporting union.
Agreed. The Crusaders didn’t want Charlie Gamble at some stage, and we are desperate to get him into the fold here. The Crusaders have an assembly line of talent. It’s a bit different here. I’m not sure he’d work either.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed. The Crusaders didn’t want Charlie Gamble at some stage, and we are desperate to get him into the fold here. The Crusaders have an assembly line of talent. It’s a bit different here. I’m not sure he’d work either.

That's a bit of a long bow - when did Gamble last have anything to do with the Crusaders? 2017 I reckon. He's obviously done well with a sea change and developed. It's not like he left NZ in 2022 and is in the Wallabies squad the next day.

A lot of water under the bridge between then and now and NZ aren't exactly splitting at the seams with depth these days.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That's a bit of a long bow - when did Gamble last have anything to do with the Crusaders? 2017 I reckon. He's obviously done well with a sea change and developed. It's not like he left NZ in 2022 and is in the Wallabies squad the next day.

A lot of water under the bridge between then and now and NZ aren't exactly splitting at the seams with depth these days.
Understood he’s a different man than he was when he left. Like you say 2017 is ages ago. I’m more of the opinion that the coach of a dominant domestic team who has been a powerhouse in Super Rugby forever is different than coaching the Wallabies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Crusaders didn’t leave Gamble behind. He got out of NZ for a break after not making the u20’s, then getting injured and it all hitting his mindset. Gamble left the Crusaders. Not the other way around.
My wording wasn’t perfect, sorry, I did mean not make a rep team. I didn’t remember the getting injured part to be honest. But would he be an AB or even a Crusader if he wasn’t injured? Or would he be playing NPC over there? I don’t know. I was more using him as an example of how Razor (like Deans before) may struggle if he was coaching over here. I could be wrong. And more importantly I’m glad all that happened and he ended up here.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It takes some level of self entitlement/insecurity to think a that an employer can’t consider recruiting a highly skilled individual without first consulting an existing employee.

Given that same employee has a poor success rate, has failed in their own personnel management role with key staff quitting and also been holding discussions with other potential employers.

It says more about Rennie that he wouldn’t consider working with someone as knowledgeable as Eddie, Jake White had no issue with it.
No, it doesn't as Eddie has already said that he won't do an assistant role 'that ain't what I do mate' was his approx reply.
So you think that Rennie is a poor coach and you read his lack of success as all his own doing? With a different coach ie Cheika in his last year or two, I would agree with you but I don't agree with your perception of Rennie. I would; put his work ethic/morals above what I have heard from McLennan and I don't put Rennie's performance into a basket of deplorables.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Phil, I agree you can't judge a player from 5 years ago to what they are like now. Look at the talent we have lost overseas and we can't afford it as NZ can.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
My wording wasn’t perfect, sorry, I did mean not make a rep team. I didn’t remember the getting injured part to be honest. But would he be an AB or even a Crusader if he wasn’t injured? Or would he be playing NPC over there? I don’t know. I was more using him as an example of how Razor (like Deans before) may struggle if he was coaching over here. I could be wrong. And more importantly I’m glad all that happened and he ended up here.
Drew, it's a predictable reply but would you not take Deans record today?