• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Maybe he agreed to it? He deserves a bit of a break, the poor chap has had a tough few years.
Possibly....or perhaps it's not a complete sacking per se. Maybe he's been moved to another department where he doesn't have to show up but he'll still be paid his salary til the end of his contract.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Folau was one of the greatest X-factor in Rugby Australia in the last years. He was a freak athlete, he didn't need to kick the ball away, he was the best jumper in the world.
60 tries in 96 Super Rugby games
37 tries in 73 international caps
That's speak for itself. If he wold have played for ABs he would have scored like 100 tries in 50 caps
Don't deny any of that. But i would still argue he wasnt a 'proper' fullback, lacking half the skills normally associated with the position. We have quite a lot of strike power out wide - id argue throwing money at another strike winger wouldnt be money well spent.

Particularly when that money could be used to retain guys like BPA. The step down in quality from BPA and Porecki to the next best is far higher than, for example, the step down from Koroibete and Kellaway to Wright and Nawaqanitawase.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Rennie won 5/15 in 2022 with a much worse talent pool & over 2/3rd's of his best team unavailable!
Stop the "Rennie was unlucky" rubbish

He and he alone is the reason he no longer has a job. The talent pool is fine, if the only way to be successful is having all the best players it kind of makes coaching pointless

Ad the reason he had so many players unavailable had a lot to do with his training methods. He never learned. 2 weeks in a row he had players getting concussed in training, more calf injuries than you could poke a stick at. And if you look back to his time at the Chiefs the injury toll was crazy then too

Whether Eddie is the answer we don't know. But we do know that Rennie wasn't and the other contenders like McKellar coached their way out of the job recently

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Stop the "Rennie was unlucky" rubbish

He and he alone is the reason he no longer has a job. The talent pool is fine, if the only way to be successful is having all the best players it kind of makes coaching pointless

Ad the reason he had so many players unavailable had a lot to do with his training methods. He never learned. 2 weeks in a row he had players getting concussed in training, more calf injuries than you could poke a stick at. And if you look back to his time at the Chiefs the injury toll was crazy then too

Whether Eddie is the answer we don't know. But we do know that Rennie wasn't and the other contenders like McKellar coached their way out of the job recently
This wins comment of the day.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
And when someone voices an opinion, it’s usually expected that they’ve formed some reasoning to base said opinion on.

Particularly when they repeat the same opinion page after page after page…

Anyways, I’m glad we can put that discussion to bed and move on.
I'll hold you to that...

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Agreed, the amount of Injuries at training was getting rediculous, and unfortunately for Rennie, as head coach, it all comes back to him. Seems like a nice guy tho.
So does that also apply to Robbie Deans considering the massive injury list Wallabies had in his final few years?

Were all the injuries the Wallabies experienced between 2011-2013 a direct consequence of his management style?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
So does that also apply to Robbie Deans considering the massive injury list Wallabies had in his final few years?

Were all the injuries the Wallabies experienced between 2011-2013 a direct consequence of his management style?
Yep sure, why not. Someone has to be responsible.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agree with the above, but its January and there's no Rugby on here so its fun to speculate.

The Tele reporting this morning the 3 players are

1. Joseph Sua'ali'i
2. Will Pennisi
3. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

First two have a strong Rugby history and are making waves in the NRL at a very young age. Either would be a big coup.

Unsure about NAS, he's the perfect height and build for a second rower but would take time for him to pick up the nuances and you'd think he'd prefer to play for the ABs having grown up in NZ.
I thought about Pennisini yesterday but left him out as he didn’t play Aus schoolboys - however it was that Covid year that didn’t have one. He was a class act in the last round game when Kings flogged Joeys for the premiership in front of no crowd. There may have been a paper schoolboys team picked, not sure.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

What's your point here?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't deny any of that. But i would still argue he wasnt a 'proper' fullback, lacking half the skills normally associated with the position. We have quite a lot of strike power out wide - id argue throwing money at another strike winger wouldnt be money well spent.

Particularly when that money could be used to retain guys like BPA. The step down in quality from BPA and Porecki to the next best is far higher than, for example, the step down from Koroibete and Kellaway to Wright and Nawaqanitawase.
Every player is a compromise (apart from those very few "GOAT's") the coach just has to set up a side to leverage their strengths and scoring tries at a high level is a clear strength

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It's been interesting reading everyone putting their two cents forward about this change for the Wallabies. As some have noted you can't deny that this has resulted in a lot of interest in Rugby that really hasn't been seen in recent years, bar those for the reasons you wouldn't hope for like the Folou saga. My feeling was there was a growing acceptance of Australia being a little middling as far as Tier 1 nations go. This has definitely seemed to opened up the possibility of hope from what I'm reading.

A few observations.

People seem to be making some sweeping statements about Eddie, what they expect or even what he is like. Personally, unless you've worked with the guy recently or have the testimony of someone who has I'm not sure how anyone is making any assertions. I don't know about the rest of you, but anyone I know who's worked in a profession isn't the same person they were 20 years ago, let alone 10, or 5, so I'm not sure I see much value in reflecting on the distant past and drawing any concrete conclusions. I actually found that he sounded very reasonable (in the Gold Digger interviews: part 1, part 2) in acknowledging the different approaches he has had to take in the various teams he's coached (Australia v. SA v. Japan v. England). He also comes across as a reflective individual, happily acknowledging his mistakes and short comings with some of his earlier assignments and how players and management styles have changed over time and with different generations of individuals. There is also no denying he brings a wealth of experience from his time and interactions in some many systems.

I further found his thoughts about the commercial realities of a NRC style tier interesting as it seemed to reflect an awareness that whilst in an ideal world it would be great, it just doesn't make commercial sense as something that will ever be self funding or garner the broader interest of the public. I got a strong sense for a desire to bolster the existing support with the current Club Rugby competitions, which reflects some of the proposals that have been floated around about a integrated national club competition.

I also found the interview with Hammish McLennan (link) interesting in making it clear that RA is well aware of their shortcomings, but are working with the realities they have with both the financial standing of the organisation (almost bankrupt) and the commercial realities of where money comes from for sporting organisations. The honest reality is that, that is the top and through teams like the Wallabies winning games. Obviously there is that constant balance of feeding funding down into the grass roots because that is your future, but the fact remains if you don't sort out today, there might be no funding to be fed down the line.

I was also happy to hear some acknowledgement of needing to do better at securing future players and the pathways and some of the plans and thoughts around the women's game and how much more needs to be done.

The final tidbit I took away was that there appears to be some agreement with RNZ around ensuring that SuperRugby remain a strong competition such that this has a bearing on the Giteau's law and that Australia doesn't revert to a South African model of picking whoever from overseas which makes sense if RA & RNZ are going to keep selling SuperRugby as an engaging product, so people who keep contending that we just pick whoever from o/s I feel are going to continue to be disappointed.

Anyway, I'm sure there will continue to be a lot of armchair speculation and pondering from all in the forseeable future coupled with sweeping assertions of what to expect. At the end of the day it'll be what happens on the field which matters, so I eagerly await our first game.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
+1 to that - it just felt so contrived.
Agreed, though I have actually always thought Australian sporting clubs would do well to commission a song(s) to mirror some of those that you find overseas. I think it would take some nous to ensure that you land on something that resonates with your audience.

The whole quality of the match day experience in Australia needs to be improved as to be honest in many ways it's inferior to being at home with your large screen (fridge, toilet, pause button etc..etc..). Better crowd engagement is definitely one area to create a point of difference. If you've been at any sporting event where the whole crowd is singing along or chanting in unison you'll know what a special experience that can be.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed, though I have actually always thought Australian sporting clubs would do well to commission a song(s) to mirror some of those that you find overseas. I think it would take some nous to ensure that you land on something that resonates with your audience.

The whole quality of the match day experience in Australia needs to be improved as to be honest in many ways it's inferior to being at home with your large screen(fridge, toilet, pause better etc..etc..). Better crowd engagement is definitely one area to create a point of difference. If you've been at any sporting event where the whole crowd is singing along or chanting in unison you'll know what a special experience that can be.
I agree - but just foisting without any notice or precursor John Williamson with his acoustic guitar isn't going to do it.

And yes, the whole game day experience needs some work.