• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Harsh on Philip IMO.
I think Philip has always been one of the hardest workers and uses all of his ability but there are just some other guys that have a higher ceiling than him. He's not out of it but I don't think he makes our best 23.
I am a Brumbies fan, ha ha, but let me reassure you that Lachie Lonergan has no issues dominating bigger players at the tackle. I reckon he will be well and truly in the mix for the No2 spot.
Not concerned with Lonergan physically at all. It's not like he's Adam Freier. If he slightly undersized in listed height and weight, he does make up for it with speed and skill. I'd like to see BPA, Latu & Lonergan as the 3 Hookers. I think Pollard can be the main guy by the Lions tour.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am a Brumbies fan, ha ha, but let me reassure you that Lachie Lonergan has no issues dominating bigger players at the tackle. I reckon he will be well and truly in the mix for the No2 spot.
Errr, what about his scrumming? He is a very good finisher, everything changes in the last 20 minutes. He saved the game against Wales on the last play.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm from Latin America, mate. I know how is a proper sports environmet, believe me.

Maybe the AFL is a bit better but not good enough for me. It's cultural, AFL supporters attend more than NRL supporters, don't even bold to compare with rugby fans. They are more passional, absolutely. Maybe the Victorians are a different specie of Aussies. I have not idea cause I never lived there, I went just one time as a tourist. But I know how is the average Joe from NSW and they are calm and cold people.

You can see here, Latin American football forums are a completely mess. Fights, brawls, etc, etc everyone insult the players, coaches. G&GR is a peaceful environment, cause the average rugby fan in Australia is that.

You can't expect something like that at the end of a rugby match in Australia:

The people is completely different than the passional Islanders. Not even when the Tahs won the Super Rugby title beating the mighty Crusaders you saw people running into the field

I think we might take this thread on too much of a tangent if we continue discussing this too much more here, though I do think it plays into the broader picture of the Wallabies and live sport in Australia in general and ultimately people turning out to games (or not). I'm not sure fights, brawls and pitch swarms are necessarily what will elevate the experience, especially if your targeting the broader market of females and children also, but there are so many areas for improvement.

Simple things like hospitality is still not where it needs to be. I should be able to order my food on my phone and then walk up to collect when ready, not lineup in queues. If my local independent pizza shop can do it, why not at a sports stadium, and when was the last time you went home raving about the half time entertainment.

Look at the atmosphere at this Welsh 6 Nations game back in 2014. It's been a long time since a Wallabies game has had a fraction of this vibe. Add in the ongoing singing and chanting and you have an experience that you just cant replicate at home.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect Lonergan will continue to come along. I just think it’s a lie to say he physically dominates the tackle. He does appear to have sound technique though. He was picked very young and, unsurprisingly, struggled with the physicality required. He still does. This also impacts his scrummaging.

Like Adam said - all the other options are sub par too at present. He’s getting opportunities because other guys are injured or aren’t demanding selection. Personally I was disappointed with Porecki at test level and he certainly has less upside than Lonergan.

He is never going to be TPN - but then none of the other hookers can match his work rate and speed either and I think it is far more likely that he will come up to the physical requirements then it is one of the other hookers will suddenly become much more mobile and athletic.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I suspect Lonergan will continue to come along. I just think it’s a lie to say he physically dominates the tackle. He does appear to have sound technique though. He was picked very young and, unsurprisingly, struggled with the physicality required. He still does. This also impacts his scrummaging.

Like Adam said - all the other options are sub par too at present. He’s getting opportunities because other guys are injured or aren’t demanding selection. Personally I was disappointed with Porecki at test level and he certainly has less upside than Lonergan.

He is never going to be TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau) - but then none of the other hookers can match his work rate and speed either and I think it is far more likely that he will come up to the physical requirements then it is one of the other hookers will suddenly become much more mobile and athletic.

I agree with them all being not up to world level, the lack of development around certain positions (2, 9, 10, 15) has been a massive issue for a while now

Which is why the notion that we have developed so much depth with Rennie is a fallacy. We may have handed out more test caps, and we may know the names of more mediocre players now, but there is no genuine depth of world class players in any of these positions. None of the hookers have been developed to a world class level, musical chairs at 9 & 10 has hindered any development there, and we seem to have just given up at 15

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I suspect that Hooper will retire from international rugby after the world cup. I'm sure I ain't alone in that thought but has anything been hinted at in the media?
Yeah I think he will most likely go and play in Japan. It would really surprise me to see him playing Super Rugby in 2024

Who knows if there is an official retirement, he is the Captain so it may be an opportunity to make more of a thing out of it which he deserves having done as much as he has for a long time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hooper will make more in his post-Aussie captaincy ambassdor duties over the next 10 years than he would playing on in Super Rugby. May as well hang up the boots and start the PR work.

I know several of the ex-Wobs captains are off to the RWC this year, all expenses, paid appearances and costs for their families covered for 3 weeks.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Ah yes, rugby tragic Angus Crichton.

The perfect example of "Rugby Players Lost To Us", according to those who completely ignore the fact he never played union as a junior.

Here's the truth: a lot of these guys who played union in rugby schools were only there because NRL clubs paid for their education, and let them play rugby to stay in some form of shape before they signed their NRL contract upon leaving.

Go read his wiki entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Crichton
I agree too many people think some are ‘rugby’ guys but aren’t. Angus however is as rugby as they come, he even attends the odd SS game.

This is a great video right from the horses mouth on the subject. His mother even said in the video he had wallaby posters up on the wall with him scratching out the “I wanna be a wallaby be” with “I’m going to be a wallaby”.

Crichton then went on to make comments on his contact with Rugby

From Daily Telegraph in 2017

ANGUS Crichton would be one of the hottest prospects in rugby union — not the NRL — had the NSW Waratahs not put a five-year moratorium on him playing at the top level.

The South Sydney forward has revealed how the Waratahs bizarrely told the then 18-year-old he would not play Super Rugby until he was 23, which effectively drove him out of the battling code.

Two-time Australian Schoolboys rugby star said he would not have even entertained a move to the Rabbitohs had the Waratahs not told him he would have to serve a five-year apprenticeship before playing Super Rugby.

Not only have the struggling Waratahs allowed a future star slip through their fingers, Crichton last night backed more young rugby stars to take advantage of the better pathways programs in rugby league

Crichton told The Locker Room podcast how he was stunned by the Waratahs’ plans for him, and wasted no time contacting Souths coach Michael Maguire who he said told him “I want you playing first grade as soon as you’re ready’’.

The Souths backrower told The Daily Telegraph the move was never about the money or taking the fast route to the top.

“I sat there with my dad in a meeting with the Waratahs, I was an 18-year-old who had dreams of playing professional footy,” Crichton said.

“When they told me I wouldn’t be playing first grade, or Super Rugby, until I was 23, it was the polar opposite when I met Madge who told me he’d play me when I was ready. That made it easy.’’ ~

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hooper will make more in his post-Aussie captaincy ambassdor duties over the next 10 years than he would playing on in Super Rugby. May as well hang up the boots and start the PR work.

I know several of the ex-Wobs captains are off to the RWC this year, all expenses, paid appearances and costs for their families covered for 3 weeks.
Reckon he gets a few years in Japan in the bank? I think while his body can do it, he'd be mad to miss out.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Well, EJ (Eddie Jones) and McLennan poked the bear - and got a response. Could V'Landys actually be worried enough about players coming back to rugby to make a comment?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I agree too many people think some are ‘rugby’ guys but aren’t. Angus however is as rugby as they come, he even attends the odd SS game.

This is a great video right from the horses mouth on the subject. His mother even said in the video he had wallaby posters up on the wall with him scratching out the “I wanna be a wallaby be” with “I’m going to be a wallaby”.

Crichton then went on to make comments on his contact with Rugby

From Daily Telegraph in 2017

ANGUS Crichton would be one of the hottest prospects in rugby union — not the NRL — had the NSW Waratahs not put a five-year moratorium on him playing at the top level.

The South Sydney forward has revealed how the Waratahs bizarrely told the then 18-year-old he would not play Super Rugby until he was 23, which effectively drove him out of the battling code.

Two-time Australian Schoolboys rugby star said he would not have even entertained a move to the Rabbitohs had the Waratahs not told him he would have to serve a five-year apprenticeship before playing Super Rugby.

Not only have the struggling Waratahs allowed a future star slip through their fingers, Crichton last night backed more young rugby stars to take advantage of the better pathways programs in rugby league

Crichton told The Locker Room podcast how he was stunned by the Waratahs’ plans for him, and wasted no time contacting Souths coach Michael Maguire who he said told him “I want you playing first grade as soon as you’re ready’’.

The Souths backrower told The Daily Telegraph the move was never about the money or taking the fast route to the top.

“I sat there with my dad in a meeting with the Waratahs, I was an 18-year-old who had dreams of playing professional footy,” Crichton said.

“When they told me I wouldn’t be playing first grade, or Super Rugby, until I was 23, it was the polar opposite when I met Madge who told me he’d play me when I was ready. That made it easy.’’ ~
I wonder if he was only interested in playing for the Tahs?

If they did not want him straight away, was RA aware, and if so, did they try to get him interviews at other franchises?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Well, and McLennan poked the bear - and got a response. Could V'Landys actually be worried enough about players coming back to rugby to make a comment?
V'landys graduated from the same school of PR as Eddie - eyeballs are eyeballs, and they know how to get them

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
I thought he was better last year than the year before. I still think he has a fair way to go. I’m sure you’ve seen more of him than me but he still seemed to play light to me. I don’t recall him being dominant at all. Good workrate and mobility though.
Have a look at him folding Jordie Barrett during super rugby and think again. Agree he's too light to steamroll defenders, but with his footwork and explosive speed he only needs to poke his nose between defenders to get over the gainline and deliver quick ball. It his only his set piece work that is holding him back.