• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
F00Sb9KaIAEV8ip

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wilson on the bench!!!

Australia A team to play Tonga at Teufaiva Stadium, Nuku'alofa on Friday 14 July, 3:00pm TOT/12pm AEST

1. Tom Lambert (NSW Waratahs)
2. Folau Fainga'a (Western Force)
3. Taniela Tupou (Melbourne Rebels)
4. Lukhan Salakai-Loto (Melbourne Rebels)
5. Cadeyrn Neville (ACT Brumbies)
6. Lachlan Swinton (NSW Waratahs)
7. Brad Wilkin (Melbourne Rebels)
8. Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)
9. Jake Gordon (NSW Waratahs)
10. Bernard Foley (c) (Kubota Spears)
11. Corey Toole (ACT Brumbies)
12. James O'Connor (Queensland Reds)
13. Joey Walton (NSW Waratahs)
14. Lachlan Anderson (Melbourne Rebels)
15. Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)

Finishers

16. Lachlan Lonergan (ACT Brumbies)
17. Angus Wagner (Western Force)
18. Sam Talakai (Melbourne Rebels)
19. Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)
20. Harry Wilson (Queensland Reds)
21. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa (Western Force)
22. Ollie Sapsford (ACT Brumbies)
23. Josh Flook (Queensland Reds)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wilson on the bench!!!

Australia A team to play Tonga at Teufaiva Stadium, Nuku'alofa on Friday 14 July, 3:00pm TOT/12pm AEST

Finishers

Hoping Toole absolutely lights up Folau.

Curious to see Salakai-Loto back too.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah Wilson on the bench is the head scratcher there, that guy is really getting shafted for whatever reason. Could have just played Uru at 6 and ditched Swinton.

Also I wouldn't be writing Fainga'a off to get back in the Wallabies if he can get a good performance here, given no one else is grabbing the jersey

hawko07

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wilson on the bench!!!

Finishers

Curious about the 'finishers'.
Why can't we have 6: Uru, 7: Wilkin, 8: Wilson
Surely Flook > Walton at 13 as well?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I might have missed an explanation somewhere but what is the rationale for Tupou to be changing squads? What is the difference between playing vs Tonga as opposed to vs Argentina?
My guess is Eddie wants to see him get through the game. It’s a bit of a risk to give him a spot in the 23 and then he blows the calf again during the game. Bell is a bit different as surgeons have literally removed the issue, well that’s my understanding anyway. He just has to get fit.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Few names not there yet.

Coleman, Timani, Pulu, Moala & Kata
It's going to be a team with some real potential once they get their full complement.

Is Pulu currently injured? How's Kata doing these days? I saw a little of his play for the Chiefs where he seemed to be alright. Interesting that he'll be back under McKellar at the Tigers. And Timani I think was playing in Wales last I saw. Be curious how he goes these days.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Weird way to frame it. He retained the Bledisloe in 2001 and 2002, won the Tri nations in 2001 and went into extra time of the final in the 2003 World cup. He also won a Super Rugby title and coached Australia A to a win over the Lions

Every coach has failures, Steve Hansen holds the World Record for consecutive Tests lost as coach of Wales, he's not as Good as Jason Gilmore either I suppose
Weird way to reply. Won 2001 Bledisloe with McQueens team. ended up with a 58% record after losing 7 games straight, In 2005 NH tour lost 8 of 9 matches and was sacked. Basically the team went slowly downhill and the scrum was penalised off the park in the UK. Never made #1 and slipped to 4th and once 5th.
BTW an inside guy I knew at the time told me the players ignored Jones's game plan and went out and knocked over the AB's in a great semi to 2003 RWC.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
And that's what is being touted here as a missed tackle. He ought to be applauded for being in a position to attempt two tackles on adjacent players. Nobody else was there to lend a hand.
I actually thought Hooper looked good in parts. A bit of a rough diamond but for his first outing, not too bad. He has the physical attributes and skill to be a very good test player. Holloway has been in decent form of late and has a claim but T.Hooper could be special.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Tonga have a good side with some very good test rugby players including Vaea Fifita, Fekitoa, Folau and Piatau
They will he even better with Coleman, Timani, pulu, Moala and Kata back! Plus is isn’t Ngani Laumape eligible for them as well?

For Aus A this does show we have depth, Man wallabies capped players!
make the top 40 in the main squad not eligible
Imagine if you added rodda and Robertson into this team as well! Schoupp and Pone also moved in the main squad
Paisami and daugunu injured
Will be inferring to see Toole v Folau, and their outside backs have some quality, Toole can get on the outside of Folau but can he tackle Folau and piatau

thoughts
Great forward pack with most capped wallabies, only surprise Wilson on bench for Uru or swinton
At LH If all available Robertson and schoupp would fill these spots so just about fully capped pack

In the back Walton over gloom is interesting
Paisami would have filled 13 and daugunu 14 or bench if available

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually thought Hooper looked good in parts. A bit of a rough diamond but for his first outing, not too bad. He has the physical attributes and skill to be a very good test player. Holloway has been in decent form of late and has a claim but T.Hooper could be special.
True Joe, I suspect many have been too quick to write him off.