• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What World Cup has Morne Steyn ever steered anyone to?
He has not won a senior RWC but he has won Rugby Championships, Curry Cups and everything else there is to win. My point is he is an experienced winning 10 who can kick goals and was retained because of it.
His RWC record is 5 wins and one loss. I’d take it.
He might not be the best example but I gather you get the idea. Sub Andre Pollard for Steyn if it makes you feel better.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He has not won a senior RWC but he has won Rugby Championships, Curry Cups and everything else there is to win. My point is he is an experienced winning 10 who can kick goals and was retained because of it.
His RWC record is 5 wins and one loss. I’d take it.
He might not be the best example but I gather you get the idea. Sub Andre Pollard for Steyn if it makes you feel better.
The point you are missing is that all these 10s you mention all won behind dominant forward packs

Put Morne Steyn out there vs Fiji and he’s just as inept as Gordon. We were dominated up front in the rucks

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Structure of other countries is pretty irrelevant to what is happening in Australia. Not having to compete with league and Aussie rules would fix every single problem but with those continuing to seperate and be even more dominant the future is very grim, with the set-ups outside of elite private schools very difficult to cut through to any talent outside the system. Throwing names up good because it does seem Rugby Australia is willing to compete financially however hard to see one person ever fixing things, at least they are trying through planned centralisation model, but at the end of the day extremely difficult to improve in elite level sport
I don’t think that is entirely true. My comment about Ireland’s structure relates to developing the talent that we currently have. I’m not talking about competition for viewers.
In terms of participation numbers, rugby ranks 4th behind Gaelic football, hurling and soccer. It’s not like they’re blessed with the cream of the crop in a population of 5m. But they work with the talent they have. I’m sure in 10-15 years, rugby will have grown to schools outside of the elite programs that currently provide the vast majority of Irish test representatives. The reason for this? Success at a national level.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don’t think that is entirely true. My comment about Ireland’s structure relates to developing the talent that we currently have. I’m not talking about competition for viewers.
In terms of participation numbers, rugby ranks 4th behind Gaelic football, hurling and soccer. It’s not like they’re blessed with the cream of the crop in a population of 5m. But they work with the talent they have. I’m sure in 10-15 years, rugby will have grown to schools outside of the elite programs that currently provide the vast majority of Irish test representatives. The reason for this? Success at a national level.
Exactly success is the best promotion for growing the game

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nucifora is apparently not interested...
Fine then, I'll do it.

Jesus, do I have to do everything around here?

Here is my team, all of whom will be on MASSIVE contract$$ from Rugby Australia.

You want the best you fucking pay us.

Treasurer: @Dismal Pillock
All The Dull Shitwork Going Around the Clubs Trying To Get All The Arseholes On The Same Page: @Pfitzy
Selectors: @Tomikin @Brumby Runner Responsible for fast-tracking all ACT Brumbies players directly into the Wallabies. Don't complain, nobody else in Australian rugby knows how to win.
Relentlessly Upbeat and Positive Social Media manager: @Derpus
Bondi Beach talent scout: @zer0
Bondi Beach talent scout: @Dismal Pillock

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fine then, I'll do it.

Jesus, do I have to do everything around here?

Here is my team, all of whom will be on MASSIVE contract$$ from Rugby Australia.

You want the best you fucking pay us.

Treasurer: @Dismal Pillock
All The Dull Shitwork Going Around the Clubs Trying To Get All The Arseholes On The Same Page: @Pfitzy
Selectors: @Tomikin @Brumby Runner Responsible for fast-tracking all ACT Brumbies players directly into the Wallabies. Don't complain, nobody else in Australian rugby knows how to win.
Relentlessly Upbeat and Positive Social Media manager: @Derpus
Bondi Beach talent scout: @zer0
Bondi Beach talent scout: @Dismal Pillock
I was hoping for the role of document shredder but I'll take it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The point you are missing is that all these 10s you mention all won behind dominant forward packs

Put Morne Steyn out there vs Fiji and he’s just as inept as Gordon. We were dominated up front in the rucks
You are missing the point I reckon. Our pack on paper is big and pretty decent but what are they being coached to play? The selections of team and coaches have been off. The game plan is off.
The remaining experienced players look lost and frustrated. Trying to implement a new game plan a couple of months out from a RWC is fraught with danger. It obviously did not work.
Now if we can miraculously pull off a win against Wales then all will not be lost but how much further can we realistically go? Hope for the best and prepare for the worst

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
You are missing the point I reckon. Our pack on paper is big and pretty decent but what are they being coached to play? The selections of team and coaches have been off. The game plan is off.
The remaining experienced players look lost and frustrated. Trying to implement a new game plan a couple of months out from a RWC is fraught with danger. It obviously did not work.
Now if we can miraculously pull off a win against Wales then all will not be lost but how much further can we realistically go? Hope for the best and prepare for the worst
I don’t care how big the forwards are, their work around the rucks was abysmal. Players going into contact by themselves with other players far more interested in standing off than getting tight and keeping the Fijians from Pilfering every single ruck

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I agree, Its always been such a cop out that we have to compete with other sports. Bar Fiji, NZ, Georgia and funnily enough Madagascar everyone is competing with other sports.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
All of the negativity around Jones has been reduced to silence, Steve Hansen is a winner, Eddie Jones is a winner.
Our Wallabies are on the verge of history. As custodians, we need to be positive and support our team playing the Australian way.
France 2023.
Maybe S3at got banned for this and not for breaking the Chrichton story haha.
Has not aged well.