• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Crazy talk. Gleeson looks a solid prospect but Valetini is really good.

The way the Wallabies used Valetini was fairly ineffective this year - he was always getting the ball in the same parts of the field in the same, predictable situations and was easily accounted for by the defence. No variation at all.
People keep saying Valetini is good, but I genuinely can’t remember the last time he actually broke a tackle. And considering ball in hand is supposed to be his strength, that’s a bit of an issue

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Toole has match winning ability, you can’t teach pace like that

Really looking forward to seeing Gamble this season. He was kicked around last year by a coach trying to play musical chairs, but with a full season at 7 I’m expecting him to show his world class

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It needs to be remembered that Gamble got injured in round 4, missed the next few games and came back in round 9 but was playing injured for the rest of the season and mostly played limited minutes off the bench.

I'm not sure his issues in 2023 were usage so much as just playing crocked for most of the season.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)

Really looking forward to seeing Gamble this season. He was kicked around last year by a coach trying to play musical chairs, but with a full season at 7 I’m expecting him to show his world class
He's good.

Deserves a chance at playing international footy. I don't know if he has that touch of finesse/class required to be playing test footy.

I wouldnt play him above anyone else currently in the wallabies though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Exactly. Deadset cannot remember his last good game for the wallabies but everyone loves him.

Based on the 3-2-1 votes in the forum he received MOTM votes in the following tests in 2023.

vs South Africa
1 point

vs New Zealand
2 points

vs Wales
2 points

vs Portugal
1 point

That put him equal second for the season in the voting.

In 2022 he was voted the player of the year on GAGR in the 3-2-1 voting. He was second in the John Eales Medal behind Marika Koroibete.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can see Gleeson is a talent but, he's only 189cm and 112kg and I'm concerned he is going to get ragdolled at higher levels.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Toole probably has the most competition even though Marika is done. One of the Wings will be Marky if fit you imagine.

What other 10s? I know we have to wait and see but besides Noah who has experience I see a lot of guys who feel 2/3 years away from when they should be getting capped. Lack of depth may fast track it.

Pasitoa has wraps but no guarantee he'll be the Force 10 with Burey looking good last year. Lynagh to me looks very raw still. Has very good skill in some aspects but a lot of work in others. Bowen has come off the bench in 1 Super Rugby game I think. Edmed is solid but limited and Harrison could be the most ready in terms of age but has played almost no Rugby in two years. Jack Deb if he was 5 years younger would be in a squad I'd say but his card seems marked.
So a standard test calendar would usually see 3 tens used minimum. At this stage I'd say that's probably Carter Gordon, Noah Lolesio and one other. That could be Donaldson, but he's unlikely to start there at the Force. Beyond that I wouldn't be looking at Foley, Quade or O'Connor so it's probably got to be one of Pasitoa, Lynagh, Harrison, Burey or Edmed. Debreczeni also a chance, but I suspect a new coach will lean towards youth. Probably a year or two too early for Harry McLaughlin-Phillips and Bowen. Who it actually is will be largely dependant on how this season of super goes, probably helped along by who the half backs are (and 12s to a lesser degree).

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't understand why anyone would currently be calling for Gleeson > Valentini is a bit mad IMO.

But also think Valentini is not on the level of Bell, Tupou or Skelton who are our best forwards (when fit). He looks very different in Brumby colours to when wearing Gold. I do think he is a good player however, just not 'really good'.

I also think he can get to where we want him to be, he's still only 25. Best years ahead.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I can see Gleeson is a talent but, he's only 189cm and 112kg and I'm concerned he is going to get ragdolled at higher levels.
I don't see Gleeson as favourably as some others here do but in conparison to Ardie Savea but he is on paper 1cm taller and 10kg heavier.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Hooker, Wing, Fullback and No 12 are the spots where new players might be in contention. All other spots are pretty well reserved right now.

At 12, Mosese Tuipoltu looks to me to be the best of the younger players. Wing I think would likely be Dylan Pietsch. Hooker probably would be Billy Pollard and Fullback, likely to be Max Jorgensen. But that makes it three Rugby Australia Waratahs so please ignore me if that is too much to stomach.

I do really like the look of Flook, but he would seem to be reliant on Ikitau suffering another major injury.

EDIT : I see the locks probably being a mix of Frost, Philip, Swain and Neville. But if any one of them falls through the cracks, Canham would really come under serious consideration.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
I think Hooker, Wing, Fullback and No 12 are the spots where new players might be in contention. All other spots are pretty well reserved right now.

At 12, Mosese Tuipoltu looks to me to be the best of the younger players. Wing I think would likely be Dylan Pietsch. Hooker probably would be Billy Pollard and Fullback, likely to be Max Jorgensen. But that makes it three Rugby Australia Waratahs so please ignore me if that is too much to stomach.

I do really like the look of Flook, but he would seem to be reliant on Ikitau suffering another major injury.

EDIT : I see the locks probably being a mix of Frost, Philip, Swain and Neville. But if any one of them falls through the cracks, Canham would really come under serious consideration.
surely if giteau law (which looks likely imo) is removed we will have Irae Simone.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Ardie is a seven who plays eight and way out of Gleeson's league.
I agree with the latter point but ultimately if he can be good enough then he is big enough.

As I say, not his biggest cheerleader but I am sensitive to prevailing commentary all over world rugby atm that players need to be bigger. There will be players in the next 5 years who have such speed and fitness that the pendulum swings back, I believe.

What we need most is balance in our pack. We are actually quite huge already considering our locks and props as well as locks playing as flankers.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I am just surprised that Wilkin does not seem to be in consideration for seven. He is probably the most classical 7 we have, very strong over the ball and a real work horse. I would love to see him given a chance for the Wallabies. I think Hooper, Wilkin and Valetini would make a really well rounded back row.
I don't think size is our problem but lack of sensible physicality is. We keep trying to inject physicality into the side but when we do it is with guys like Swain and Swinton who are cards waiting to happen. Smart physical pressure is players who hit every tackle and don't give the opposition any respite. You don't have to try to hurt with every hit but if you consistently hit solidly the relentless nature will grind down the opposition.

Last edited: