• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Josh Canham. Had a good season last year, very tall but could do with a couple of more kgs. With a number of 2nd rowers moving on we need to bring a few more through and he reminds me of Courtney Laws.
Doesn't just lumber around the field. He gets around the well for a tall man.

You're spot on about the weight. He's being listed at 115kg which is a good weight but I think it needs to harden up a bit and lose the puppy fat/boy build. Will come in time and effort.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
No way was he a shout for 2024, he'd be no chance of making it to the next WC and if for some stupid reason he was picked then we wouldn't of learned

If we took the time to develop guys like CG and ensure they are around 40 caps by the time 2027 rolls around then we wouldn't be in a postition having to go back to rejects like Quade or Foley

I have faith Carter will continue to improve a lot

Quade was not the answer for this WC or ever in the future, Barrett, McKenzie, Mounga'a, Farrell, Ford, Smith, Sopoanga, Russell, Bigger, Sexton, Anscombe, Pollard, Libbock, Willemse, Ntamack etc. (and Im sure I've missed a few) are all much better than Quade

Can't believe people thought he should've been in the WC squad
Again - being around for the WC has NOTHING to do with whether someone should be in the squad in 2024. The CEO has made that clear.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Toole and Jorgensen are both a pretty good chance of a debut I think, wouldn't be surprised to see one of the uncapped young tens get a chance either, but it's pretty open at the moment.

There may well be a few more when it's all said and done too, I have a feeling selection is going to be pretty open and really driven off super rugby form given we've already have a bit of a clean out.
Toole probably has the most competition even though Marika is done. One of the Wings will be Marky if fit you imagine.

What other 10s? I know we have to wait and see but besides Noah who has experience I see a lot of guys who feel 2/3 years away from when they should be getting capped. Lack of depth may fast track it.

Pasitoa has wraps but no guarantee he'll be the Force 10 with Burey looking good last year. Lynagh to me looks very raw still. Has very good skill in some aspects but a lot of work in others. Bowen has come off the bench in 1 Super Rugby game I think. Edmed is solid but limited and Harrison could be the most ready in terms of age but has played almost no Rugby in two years. Jack Deb if he was 5 years younger would be in a squad I'd say but his card seems marked.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Every player that missed out on World Cup should absolutely be given a fresh start with the new wallabies coach…. HOWEVER.

Something needs to be done re: the giteau law, it’s unproductive for the Nation. I am happy to bring these greener grass chasers back in World Cup years / but if you come back you need to earn your spot (lot of giteau players didn’t deserve to be there in Eddie squad)

We need to go back to developing our players and rewarding them… that doesn’t happen when you allow the mercenaries abroad to walk straight back into the national team setup.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
No way was he a shout for 2024, he'd be no chance of making it to the next WC and if for some stupid reason he was picked then we wouldn't of learned

If we took the time to develop guys like CG and ensure they are around 40 caps by the time 2027 rolls around then we wouldn't be in a postition having to go back to rejects like Quade or Foley

I have faith Carter will continue to improve a lot

Quade was not the answer for this WC or ever in the future, Barrett, McKenzie, Mounga'a, Farrell, Ford, Smith, Sopoanga, Russell, Bigger, Sexton, Anscombe, Pollard, Libbock, Willemse, Ntamack etc. (and Im sure I've missed a few) are all much better than Quade

Can't believe people thought he should've been in the WC squad
Why because Donaldson and gorden performed sooooo well?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Every player that missed out on World Cup should absolutely be given a fresh start with the new wallabies coach…. HOWEVER.

Something needs to be done re: the giteau law, it’s unproductive for the Nation. I am happy to bring these greener grass chasers back in World Cup years / but if you come back you need to earn your spot (lot of giteau players didn’t deserve to be there in Eddie squad)

We need to go back to developing our players and rewarding them… that doesn’t happen when you allow the mercenaries abroad to walk straight back into the national team setup.
Eh. Our best players will increasingly find contracts overseas. I actually think it's more likely to go the other way.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't have a problem with it as it stands right now. We need the best players available for the Wallabies at all times.

Rewarding them is the hard part as financially overseas is very appealing to those fringe members of the Wallabies. Swinton doubling his salary to go to France is good for him but a bad loss for us as we need depth to drive competition.

I agree a lot didn't deserve it and live off reputation once they leave but maybe we need more tabs on the guys playing overseas who weren't stars at time of leaving. A guy like Maddocks is one of those right now.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

It worked well until this year
Skelton was good
Kerevi and koribete have been 2 of the wallabies best players over the last 5-6 seasons even though this year wasn’t their best
We don’t have depth or good replacements in Aus and with lack of teams and more quality heading overseas we need to look at it

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
He can't arrest things once they are going off the rails. If anything he doubles down. It's happened everywhere he's been.

Anyways, enough Eddie. He's got nothing to do with the Wallabies 2024 (scars sure).

Who debuts this year? I Think we'll see Flook going on last years performances. Anyone got a potential Bolter for a jersey?
Flook a good chance and providing he stays injury free I like the look of Isaac Henry as a 12. Big strong unit who can ball play as well
Toole and jorgo may go close
Pasitoa or edmend for 10
Can Charlie gamble get back into consideration?
it’s really start again
Also is marika actually retired from internationals?
only one who debut in 2023 who I can see kicking on is Tom hooper - has real PSDT vibes about him from SA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Henrys problem is whether he is starting for the Reds or starting enough to be genuinely considered. Good player but opportunity compared to someone like Foketi is vastly different.

Think we will see Jorgo. Form to be determined as I'm sure teams will prepare for him now which can see a half step back for a lot of young players. I think Gamble can push into the squad. He had a great season when he had a full run in the 7 when Hooper wasn't there. When splitting it and putting him in 6 it messed with the flow and seemed stunted. Hopefully being the clear starting 7 now he can get back to form.

I was under the impression Marika was but if he hasn't I don't think he's done by any means until someone pushes him out of the spot.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Henrys problem is whether he is starting for the Reds or starting enough to be genuinely considered. Good player but opportunity compared to someone like Foketi is vastly different.

Think we will see Jorgo. Form to be determined as I'm sure teams will prepare for him now which can see a half step back for a lot of young players. I think Gamble can push into the squad. He had a great season when he had a full run in the 7 when Hooper wasn't there. When splitting it and putting him in 6 it messed with the flow and seemed stunted. Hopefully being the clear starting 7 now he can get back to form.

I was under the impression Marika was but if he hasn't I don't think he's done by any means until someone pushes him out of the spot.
I thought Gamble was pretty poor this year for the Tahs

Wilkin, McReight, Gleeson all better 7 options

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agreed. His good year was the previous when he had a full run in the 7 and not being shifted around.

Don't see him being challenged for it with Hooper gone. Slack-Smith in the squad but still young. Gleeson the other with the ability but he should be their 8.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
The point is that given small 7's clearly haven't worked out for us (didn't win a turnover in France), we need a bigger 7, look at what Fiji did to us
I don't necessarily disagree. But I would like to see a bit more of him. He hasn't played many minutes on the big stage.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't necessarily disagree. But I would like to see a bit more of him. He hasn't played many minutes on the big stage.
Yep and there lies the problem, only 10 minutes of rugby for the wallabies this year and he'll play 8 for the Tahs because there's no one else, so unfortunately it realistically won't happen

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Although someone like Valetini is more experienced. I'd rather Gleeson over him. Good traditional strong hitting and hard running 8.
Crazy talk. Gleeson looks a solid prospect but Valetini is really good.

The way the Wallabies used Valetini was fairly ineffective this year - he was always getting the ball in the same parts of the field in the same, predictable situations and was easily accounted for by the defence. No variation at all.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
As far as bolters, I could see Toole or Derby Lancaster coming off the bench to give us some zip in the second half.