• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McKellar was already an assistant in this position and was passed over for Jones, he then got offered a head coach role overseas that is much better than sitting as an assistant to Jones.

I don't think that's an accurate summation...

RA courted Jones while Rennie was still in the job.

McKellar got the gig in England prior to Rennie's sacking and would've left regardless of who was in charge.

But yes, he will only return for a head coach position.

... I suspect Jones ain't going nowhere at least for 12 months..

... unless he is taking over Joseph in Japan.

notdeadyet

Stan Wickham (3)
I think they'll revert back to someone like Larkham. He won't say no to Phil Waugh and Joe Roff.
i'll say NO to phil waugh and joe roff and even larkham. it has been seen in all forms of sport that the best players do not necessarily make the best coaches

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
The stewardship of Ireland has been a great example of succession planning.
Schmidt did his time at Leinster and moved to the top job.
Farrell had time at Sarries, England and then finally assistant to Schmidt.
Now they have POC, Cullen, Mike Catt, Easterby, Rowntree, Lancaster etc all in the system.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think that's an accurate summation...

Rugby Australia courted Jones while Rennie was still in the job.

McKellar got the gig in England prior to Rennie's sacking and would've left regardless of who was in charge.

But yes, he will only return for a head coach position.

... unless he is taking over Joseph in Japan.
Eddie's a lot of things, but to blatantly lie, I don't think so... maybe Im wrong

--
Jones denied reports he was interviewed for the Japan job on the eve of the World Cup, saying he was "100 per cent committed to the (Australian) job". "I haven't applied for a job for a long time. Someone has a story and they are running with it," he said. "The only thing I can say is I'm committed to coach Australia."

--
"It's not really about me, it is about the team. My only job is to get the team prepared as well as I can.

"I am 100 per cent committed to the job, and I've said that previously.

"I love coaching and I love the challenge. That's the reason I came back to Australia, because I wanted to make a difference and I apologise I haven't made a difference, but I want to make a difference."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eddie's a lot of things, but to blatantly lie, I don't think so... maybe Im wrong

The fresh reports out of Japan are concerning, and as the Roar reported Eddie wouldn't have necessarily been "blatantly lying"...

When Jones was asked about the report in the Sydney Morning Herald after his team’s atrocious 40-6 loss against Wales Jones said “I don’t know what you’re talking about, mate.” Considering he had been made aware by team media, that was, at best, an act of misdirection.

But on Friday Jones was clearer than he has been previously on the matter – which has seen plenty question his suitability for the job after the World Cup – although there was still plenty of wriggle room in his comments

“I haven’t applied for a job for a long time,” Jones said.

However, it is understood Jones has a standing invitation to coach Japan, so he would unlikely be required to apply. The Australian report did not clarify if he did interview for the position via a Zoom meeting as the Herald report claimed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Alrighty I'm back after my self imposed exile post Wales loss. Genuinely felt like a break up. Would be happy for a few hours then see a rugby billboard and my mood would plummet. Fuck we suck.

I'm also not reading 50 pages of shit chat in this new thread. Semi amazed we have that much to disagree on.

I'm happy to see all these Australian Rugby adjacent people have success though: Nucifora, Raiwalui, Hansen, the Scottish guys etc. The barbarians tour looked great, can't imagine Wright and Wilson were too jealous of the Wallabies lads. I'm off to the Rebels thread to cheer myself up (?????).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tomikin, there's a difference between not having been interviewed and saying "I haven't applied for a job in a long time ". He didn't apply for the Wallabies job either but got it after at least a talk with McLennan which could be seen as an interview. Denying he applied for the Japan job doesn’t preclude he was interviewed, perhaps informally for it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Alrighty I'm back after my self imposed exile post Wales loss. Genuinely felt like a break up. Would be happy for a few hours then see a rugby billboard and my mood would plummet. Fuck we suck.
I thought you lived in Melbourne?

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

--
Jones denied reports he was interviewed for the Japan job on the eve of the World Cup, saying he was "100 per cent committed to the (Australian) job". "I haven't applied for a job for a long time. Someone has a story and they are running with it," he said. "The only thing I can say is I'm committed to coach Australia."

--
"It's not really about me, it is about the team. My only job is to get the team prepared as well as I can.

"I am 100 per cent committed to the job, and I've said that previously.

"I love coaching and I love the challenge. That's the reason I came back to Australia, because I wanted to make a difference and I apologise I haven't made a difference, but I want to make a difference."
Eddie says what people want to hear. He's a liar.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes Melbourne would've been better for the grief. Much easier to move on than in the city of losers, Brisbane: Wallabies, Lions, Broncos, rough times.

But no, was in France for a few weeks starting with the Wales match.
Hey, at least there are plenty of worse places to drown your sorrows than France.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tomikin, there's a difference between not having been interviewed and saying "I haven't applied for a job in a long time ". He didn't apply for the Wallabies job either but got it after at least a talk with McLennan which could be seen as an interview. Denying he applied for the Japan job doesn’t preclude he was interviewed, perhaps informally for it.
Agreed, we are talking semantics, though. If he takes the Japanese job, he will be hung drawn and quartered in Australia as a liar and a traitor and no amount of word-smithing at those press conferences will make a difference... Not really sure I care to much about if he had a chat with them or not...

I think he probably has 12 months to do better, he took a massive swing with his selections for the future, and I'm sure they want to see it play out. Him as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If we come last in the RC and lose a home series to Wales he has to be done.

Whilst they have looked better at the WC they have played within their walls and it worked. I'd still say they are the weakest of the British/Irish sides. in the RC he has to at least beat Argentina and probably South Africa in the home games.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Is this just sunk cost fallacy?
Maybe.... the financial implications will hurt, but also we need a coach that REALLY wants the job because they REALLY want to improve Aussie rugby. Eddie said he wanted this when he was offered the job for 5 years but if he turns on his heals after 12 months we should slap him on the arse with a bridle and be done with him!

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Schmidt, MacKellar, Friend in that order
MacKellar I’d take, I’d be weary of Schmidt considering how poorly it ended in Ireland, how much the team has improved after he left and not exactly glowing comments from his former players

Andy Friend can be an assistant, but hes no where near qualified enough for the top job

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Agreed, we are talking semantics, though. If he takes the Japanese job, he will be hung drawn and quartered in Australia as a liar and a traitor and no amount of word-smithing at those press conferences will make a difference... Not really sure I care to much about if he had a chat with them or not...

I think he probably has 12 months to do better, he took a massive swing with his selections for the future, and I'm sure they want to see it play out. Him as well.
The Irony is the same people demanding he is fired today will be the ones calling him a traitor if he leaves

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I'm also not reading 50 pages of shit chat in this new thread. Semi amazed we have that much to disagree on.

I'm happy to see all these Australian Rugby adjacent people have success though: Nucifora, Raiwalui, Hansen, the Scottish guys etc. The barbarians tour looked great, can't imagine Wright and Wilson were too jealous of the Wallabies lads. I'm off to the Rebels thread to cheer myself up (?????).
Its amazing how succesful Australian's can be when they get the fuck away from the Australian system.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No problem with that, But why did he do it 24 hours before our biggest game since the 2015 WC final and try make it the centre of attention in the press conference and the talk afterwards, when it should be on the game, selections and issues we need to address
This is funny because when he was asked about issues and selections as they got in the plane heading to world cup, EJ (Eddie Jones) told reporters they were the worst and they were negative and funnily enough, berated them for thinking his team would not do well.

So they can’t ask about selections, issues or huge breaking stories huh?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Irony is the same people demanding he is fired today will be the ones calling him a traitor if he leaves
Generalising a little perhaps TT.

I for one was against the sacking of Rennie at the beginning and against Eddie's appointment. I am now firmly in the camp of those wanting him sacked, or preferably for him to walk away. I have no intention of calling him a traitor if he does walk away, in fact he would go up in my estimation (as a person) if he does. Treachery is not a condition I normally apply to anything rugby.

Last edited: