• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Coaching international rugby for WOBs should be easy as. Just chuck the brumbies in the deep end plus a few extra carriers like Bell, Tupou, Paisami and Nawaqanitawase. Replace a couple of bodies as team balance, form and individual temperament become evident.
Can only be better than where we currently are at.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Coaching international rugby for WOBs should be easy as. Just chuck the brumbies in the deep end plus a few extra carriers like Bell, Tupou, Paisami and Nawaqanitawase. Replace a couple of bodies as team balance, form and individual temperament become evident.
The Brumbies would 100% have done much better in the world cup. No doubt about it. The Brumbies with Bell and Tupou qualify top IMO.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's international Rugby. There will definitely be coaches that want the opportunity. The current situation may deter some mid career coaches but as hard as it is to comprehend we are a Tier 1 nation and a desirable location for many to live.

One of the hardest issues for a good coach is when they look above and see chaos and instability. We shouldn't have to hear from the chairman every second day. Their work should be done to facilitate others.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
As opposed to the fucking routs we've experienced recently.

Oh and of course the unconvincing wins against Euro powerhouses Georgia and Portugal.
Both tenures were bad, and we dont need to re-live either of them

Bring in Bernie and start fresh

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking back at Rennie, there is a lot of criticism there, particularly the loss to Italy.

One of the main criticisms in that scenario: number of changes made to the team

The same people would agree our players don't get enough top-flight games.

So in making changes to try and expose more players, Rennie's decision came unstuck. He has to wear that, but I think every Kiwi coach who has walked into the job is privately appalled at our low levels of skill in handling, ruck, and fitness (mental and physical).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looking back at Rennie, there is a lot of criticism there, particularly the loss to Italy.

So in making changes to try and expose more players, Rennie's decision came unstuck. He has to wear that, but I think every Kiwi coach who has walked into the job is privately appalled at our low levels of skill in handling, ruck, and fitness (mental and physical).
Like the Frenchie forwards coach who was quoted saying he thought the boys were going to win at HT against Wales, all to watch them completely melt under the heat.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

People keep saying how bad the team vs Italy was, but the team that lost to Italy included:
- Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
- Len Ikitau
- Tom Wright
- Noah Lolesio
- Jake Gordon
- Pete Samu
- Fraser McReight
- Will Skelton
- AAA
- Folau Fainga'a
- Taniela Tupou
- Hunter Paisami
- Jordan Petaia

The 48-17 loss to Argentina is far more egregious in my opinion, and yet he got away scot free for that abomination

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
People keep saying how bad the team vs Italy was, but the team that lost to Italy included:
- Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
- Len Ikitau
- Tom Wright
- Noah Lolesio
- Jake Gordon
- Pete Samu
- Fraser McReight
- Will Skelton
- AAA
- Folau Fainga'a
- Taniela Tupou
- Hunter Paisami
- Jordan Petaia

The 48-17 loss to Argentina is far more egregious in my opinion, and yet he got away scot free for that abomination
I don’t really blame rennie for that
The starting xv was probably half Australia A at the time and we were playing Italy at home. Italy were firing in 2022. Let’s not forget that.
The Italy loss to me is a non first xv required cause of how many tests were packed into that tour by RA.
I get why rennie selected that team. He kind of had to. Players were well off previous tour performances but why were we in that position - self imposed.
I have no idea who coach will be.
Mckellar just left. No way he’s coming back.
Larkham being set up to fail.
Very tough situation!

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don’t really blame rennie for that
The starting xv was probably half Australia A at the time and we were playing Italy at home. Italy were firing in 2022. Let’s not forget that.
The Italy loss to me is a non first xv required cause of how many tests were packed into that tour by Rugby Australia.
I get why rennie selected that team. He kind of had to. Players were well off previous tour performances but why were we in that position - self imposed.
I have no idea who coach will be.
Mckellar just left. No way he’s coming back.
Larkham being set up to fail.
Very tough situation!
Agree to disagree on Rennie's culpability

But totally agree the next man up has a tough job on his hands

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Should we ask Rennie back? Absolutely not. He may not have been as bad as some thought but he wasn’t great and if they did court him again it would really illustrate how incompetent RA is.
Coaching the Wallabies is still a very good opportunity for the right people.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Should we ask Rennie back? Absolutely not. He may not have been as bad as some thought but he wasn’t great and if they did court him again it would really illustrate how incompetent Rugby Australia is.
Coaching the Wallabies is still a very good opportunity for the right people.
Is it, though?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Remember when...

A month after the 2015 Rugby World Cup, at which Eddie Jones had taken Japan to a famous win over the Springboks, the coach sat in a press conference in Cape Town as the new coach of the Stormers.

In a clip that has been doing the rounds again recently, Jones – decked in a blue Stormers polo top – was asked about the rumours he was talking to the Rugby Football Union about taking over as England coach.

“No contact, mate, I am committed to the Stormers. I woke up this morning and looked at Table Top Mountain. So I am here,” Jones said.

Six days later, Jones again denied contact through a spokesman. Two days after that, he was announced as the new England coach. Jones apologised for his “sudden decision”.

Any of this sounding familiar?

On a somewhat related note... the Rugby Union page on Nine's websites is just terrible.

This article is another example of a rugby story that does not (currently) appear on the page.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes. It's likely to be in the top 10 or 20 highest paid coaching jobs in rugby.

The concept that most coaches aren't clamoring for an opportunity to coach a test team is ridiculous.
I suppose money talks. I remain unconvinced we'll attract anyone particularly good.