• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Source? I'd still have taken him to the WC if I was selecting, but surely Quade's most ardent supporters have to admit he was close to our worst performer during the RC.

“Well, we weren’t good enough to beat the All Blacks. We had them on toast 17-3 and we couldn’t finish the game off,” Jones said.

“Let’s be quite factual about that. I just thought we’re not going to get anywhere with that group of players.

“I probably thought they’d maximised themselves out and we’d had that group of players for a period of time.

“And I always go back to the definition of insanity: you know, keep doing the same thing, expect different results.

“So I tried something different, went for youth, and it will have favourable results further down the track.”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Isn't that exactly what he's saying? He dropped it cold and cost us a Bledisloe match and so EJ (Eddie Jones) dropped him.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He doesn't single that out as the reason he dropped Quade. He was asked a question about how the Wallabies almost beat the ABs and responded by saying we weren't good enough to beat the ABs. Then gave a wider answer about how he assessed the capacity of the older players (that it had been maxed out and wasn't good enough to give the Cup a serious crack).

No doubt the performance contributed, but to isolate the game against NZ as the reason he dropped him is a misrepresentation of what was said.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
It still hurts to look at it....

1697605728809.png

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Can someone please explain the difference between league running from union running? I thought "league running" was a good thing considering how much we praise the development of league players in Aus.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A few of us were shouted down for saying that EJ (Eddie Jones) had the benefit of not focusing on this RWC and make selections based on the future rather than wholeheartedly trying to win now.

Eddie has confirmed this
“So I tried something different, went for youth, and it will have favourable results further down the track.”

The problem is, we don’t actually know if it will have favourable results down the track. There is no guarantee that some of his selections will ever be good enough to be consistent, high-performing Wallabies.

The RWC was treated like an end-of-year tour where every fixture was a mid-week game that you gave your fringe players a run to see if they are up to Test standard.

It will be interesting to see how many of this RWC squad are still there in 4yrs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can someone please explain the difference between league running from union running? I thought "league running" was a good thing considering how much we praise the development of league players in Aus.

League running tends to be more upright because you don't necessarily want to go to ground and there's no risk of being held up and losing possession as there is in rugby if it becomes a maul.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's just the risk of being held up holds no consequence of a turn over.

League players do want to find the ground as it allows a faster play the ball. The defences will try and keep a player upright and wrap for the held call.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Running lines and timing of edge players in league is certainly a good thing and something we could learn more of.

I will say however they are good at this skill because it is of higher priority and the total skills required of those positions are less than rugby.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember watching Brad Thorns first game for the Crusaders from league. Every one of his first 4 or 5 runs was at least 15 metres, just running over the top of people, but I’m pretty sure all or most resulted in a turnover as he got isolated and nobody was there to help secure the ball.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby Australia need to get McKellar and Friend back involved in Aussie rugby ASAP.

I'd have Friend in a DOR or High-Performance capacity with McKellar as Wallabies Assistant and a clear pathway to HC after X amount of years.
Really think that McKellar will leave England so soon after just joining as Head Coach? He's no EJ (Eddie Jones)........