• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
For me the one of the most interesting selection battles is the selection of the Blindside Flanker.

Blindside Flanker: This is a battle between Mowen and Dennis. McMenimum seems to be in some people's calculatios, but in reality this selection is likely to come from the initial 25(ish) man squad.

Dennis shades Mowen on experience plus he is the provincial skipper of the 9 other tahs in camp.

Mowen shades Dennis on form and line-out prowess, He also has significant leadership qualities. He has really stepped up his impact on the ball carry and at the breakdown on prior years.

For me, Mowen is the man.

I

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mowen shades Dennis on form and line-out prowess, He also has significant leadership qualities. He has really stepped up his impact on the ball carry and at the breakdown on prior years.

For me, Mowen is the man.

I agree and I hope Mowen gets to start the first test. Dennis has massively closed the form gap in recent weeks though and I think he is a strong chance to get the nod in the first test now that Higgers is out.

There will be mass outrage on this forum if that happens but I think the reality of it is that it is not an unreasonable call at all. At this point of the season, the fact that Dennis' form at the start of the season was poor is completely irrelevant.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think they will share the roles, so again we are worrying about 10 minutes of game time, Palu will do 50, as will Douglas\Simmons.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Palu is an 80 minute player, this talk of him coming off after 50 is ridiculous and unfounded, when did that happen last year?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think they will share the roles, so again we are worrying about 10 minutes of game time, Palu will do 50, as will Douglas\Simmons.

You need to leave one sub a bit later than that in case of injury. I suspect we might see Mowen as the 80 minute option.

It also gives the option of running with Gill and Hooper together at the end of the game.

Also, if we pick Beale or Barnes in the starting line-up, then I can't see how we can go with a 2 man backs bench, because it is likely that those two players won't be up to 80 minutes of test rugby.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, error rates I reckon, they have this prick fullback that doesn't miss penalties.

We will not want to play any rugby in our half

If that is the case shouldn't White get the nod over Phipps? Surely his kicking game is something we need, especially given JOCs isn't international flyhalf standard.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If that is the case shouldn't White get the nod over Phipps? Surely his kicking game is something we need, especially given JOCs isn't international flyhalf standard.

My guess is that Phipps is viewed as a better attacking player and Phipps likely use is near the end of a match if we're chasing points and Genia has either run out of gas or playing badly.

Personally I doubt whether we'll see the reserve halfback unless there is an injury or the wheels fall off. In the unlikely event that we're flogging the Lions you'd imagine that bench will all get a go also.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I can see people saying JOC (James O'Connor) isn't a strong distributor, but where does this view he isn't a good kicker come from? I have been watching the Rebs all year and can't recall having any issues with it other than his goal kicking percentage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

As I have said before, Genia or White to start, Phipps to finish is my bet.

It is rare we will want more kicking in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

JOC (James O'Connor) isn't international flyhalf standard? well we will see, he tackles, runs straight and takes on defenders and accepts contact. It appears that is what the coach wants in a 10

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

JOC (James O'Connor) isn't international flyhalf standard? well we will see, he tackles, runs straight and takes on defenders and accepts contact. It appears that is what the coach wants in a 10
Sorry mate, typical fat prop response.

G

Gregan

In terms of scrum form - in my opinion Slipper has been in better nick than palmer. Anyone else think this or am I missing palmers skill?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
To clarify I wasn't saying that JOC (James O'Connor) as a player isn't of international standard, just that his kicking for territory isn't at the same level as the rest of his skills and at the lower end of comparable international 10s.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In terms of scrum form - in my opinion Slipper has been in better nick than palmer. Anyone else think this or am I missing palmers skill?

Palmer hasn't played for weeks, he needs to absolutely dominate Henderson tonight and do some good stuff around the field to be any chance of being selected

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
To clarify I wasn't saying that JOC (James O'Connor) as a player isn't of international standard, just that his kicking for territory isn't at the same level as the rest of his skills and at the lower end of comparable international 10s.

JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't kick as often as some, but over the comp he has been averaging 40 metres per kick, same as Morne Steyne and Mogg. The only kickers of note with better ability to kick for territory are Francois Steyn and Dan Carter, who manage around 45 metres per kick.

In other words at the top end of comparable intl 10s.

Edit: for further info the closest after these guys are Katrakilis and Ebersohn, who also manage around 40.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

If those are your primary requirements for a 10 of international standard, then boy, Mortlock must have been one of the greatest Australian 10s in history.

Myself, I prefer talents like creating opportunities for your backline, taking the right options, making the guys outside of you look better than they are. For modern players from Australia, Larkham comes to mind.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If those are your primary requirements for a 10 of international standard, then boy, Mortlock must have been one of the greatest Australian 10s in history.

Myself, I prefer talents like creating opportunities for your backline, taking the right options, making the guys outside of you look better than they are. For modern players from Australia, Larkham comes to mind.

and if we had someone who could tackle, run straight, take on defenders, accept contact and create better opportunities he would be selected.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
JOC (James O'Connor) will start at 10 not because he's a quality 10, but because of the lack of quality 10s. To list the other options: - QC (Quade Cooper) is on the outer.
- Foley is too green
- To'omua is too green
- Lilo has been playing 12 (I suspect if JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured Lilo will play 10)

Foley and/or To'omua will be blooded off the bench in the Rugby Championship/Spring Tour and after that JOC (James O'Connor) will go back to his correct position on the wing.

I also take umbrage to the number of people who can't stand the idea of McCabe as a Wallabies 12 due to his lacking skill-set, and yet O'Connor will be the Wallabies 10. JOC (James O'Connor) is a much more skilful player than McCabe, but not nearly skilled enough to be our 5/8.

Status
Not open for further replies.