• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I hope Scott Allen is wrong about Timani and the five man lineouts, the prospect of losing lineouts due to predictability is even less savoury than losing scrums given how many lineouts we will be seeing. Don't think he is though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've said my point on this a few times but.. a poor lineout will lose you possession. A poor scrum will cost you penalties and potentially penalty tries and yellow cards.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
For sure, but its a very bad day when you're losing both. Tries tend to come from lineouts, and you only have to think back to the quarterfinal RWC vs SA to recall what a bad day lineouts can make. Matfield was lethal.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
In the near future, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Jake White be the coach of the Wallabies. He has done absolute wonders for the Brumbies since 2012. They work together every single match and it was genius move to make Mowen the captain. He has put confidence into the games of the likes of Mogg, Lealiifano, To'omua just to name a few and it wouldn't be a terrible move to put him into the position of Wallaby head coach. The Brumbies do all the basic's right, this season has showed it. They are starting to show the form that took them to them to multiple Super 12/14 finals. Even having McKenzie as coach (who probably should have been anyways following the world cup) is a excellent option as well. They have turned teams that were in the dumps into champion teams, and not a team of champions. Rugby is a team sport, it can't just rely on superstars to the win the game. In some cases, yes i suppose it can, but take the All-blacks for example, EVERYONE on that team does their job, everyone. One of the main faults I think the Wallabies have shown in recent times is how they can rely on other teams to make mistakes, which against teams like the All-blacks, rarely happens. We need to have more attacking options (as well as make use of the ones we currently have) which coaches like White and McKenzie (in some cases Cheika) have implemented into their Super rugby sides. They are giving their players confidence, which is turning into results. In Australia, we also need to stop relying on superstars. We have the depth of players, so let's use them.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
madflyhalf

Mate, Reid and especially Picamoles run in the wider channels all the fucking time. They are just exceptionally talented players/genetic freaks of nature with ridiculous skill sets. Their ball and in Reids case, aerial skills are what separates them from the pack. They both do work in tight but that doesn't keep them from running out wide. Picamoles is at his most dangerous when he is 2-3 channels out from the ruck and has two backs matched up on him because he can draw defenders and offload in the tackle like SBW to unleash the outside backs. They have far more impact on the game than our 8's have had in recent years, but that has more to do with other things than it does them playing tighter.

Athilnaur

Unfortunately if Timani is in the lineup we cannot compete with the Lions in a full line out. They will almost absolutely have 4 very strong jumping options and 5-6 options in total. Warburton is tall for an openside and is a legitimate jumping option.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For sure, but its a very bad day when you're losing both. Tries tend to come from lineouts, and you only have to think back to the quarterfinal RWC vs SA to recall what a bad day lineouts can make. Matfield was lethal.

And if the scrum was poor that day? Steyn knocking over 3 points whenever the scrum was penalised in our half. Considering it was such a tight game with little scoring opportunities (ie. WC) - game over.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, it all smells ominously like a death spiral of playing into the cludgy grind we hate. We don't have to dominate lineouts or scrums, but it's vital we hold our own when there, and that we stretch the defense as well.

I'm all for earning the right to go wide, but I expect us to be seizing that right hard and fast not doing endless recycles of the ball. Unfortunately reffing, particularly of the offside and breakdown could kill that. I can see a lot of repeats of the kind of stuff the Irish pulled to slow the game down coming our way. Heres hoping the Lions come to play, not to playact!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've said my point on this a few times but.. a poor lineout will lose you possession. A poor scrum will cost you penalties and potentially penalty tries and yellow cards.
What about those stats that show the prevalence of line outs as the starting point for tries.
Besides which, in half a generation we seem to have gone from never losing our own to not giving a damn about them.
Who authorized that shift in emphasis?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Remember if Liam Gill wins a starting spot he is another option at the lineout.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
In the near future, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Jake White be the coach of the Wallabies. He has done absolute wonders for the Brumbies since 2012. They work together every single match and it was genius move to make Mowen the captain. He has put confidence into the games of the likes of Mogg, Lealiifano, To'omua just to name a few and it wouldn't be a terrible move to put him into the position of Wallaby head coach. The Brumbies do all the basic's right, this season has showed it. They are starting to show the form that took them to them to multiple Super 12/14 finals. Even having McKenzie as coach (who probably should have been anyways following the world cup) is a excellent option as well. They have turned teams that were in the dumps into champion teams, and not a team of champions. Rugby is a team sport, it can't just rely on superstars to the win the game. In some cases, yes i suppose it can, but take the All-blacks for example, EVERYONE on that team does their job, everyone. One of the main faults I think the Wallabies have shown in recent times is how they can rely on other teams to make mistakes, which against teams like the All-blacks, rarely happens. We need to have more attacking options (as well as make use of the ones we currently have) which coaches like White and McKenzie (in some cases Cheika) have implemented into their Super rugby sides. They are giving their players confidence, which is turning into results. In Australia, we also need to stop relying on superstars. We have the depth of players, so let's use them.
Well said

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In the near future, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Jake White be the coach of the Wallabies. He has done absolute wonders for the Brumbies since 2012. They work together every single match and it was genius move to make Mowen the captain. He has put confidence into the games of the likes of Mogg, Lealiifano, To'omua just to name a few and it wouldn't be a terrible move to put him into the position of Wallaby head coach. The Brumbies do all the basic's right, this season has showed it. They are starting to show the form that took them to them to multiple Super 12/14 finals.

I agree, but they were lacking against both the Tahs and Crusaders, where the strategy of "try not to lose" failed them when the opposition simply finished stronger and their forwards got edged as the game went on.

They seem to start red hot and get inconsistent as the season wears on

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Remember if Liam Gill wins a starting spot he is another option at the lineout.

I still wonder why Timani isn't used as a lifter a times, he should be able to get a unit like Gill or Hooper up pretty effectively

madflyhalf

Stan Wickham (3)
madflyhalf

Mate, Reid and especially Picamoles run in the wider channels all the fucking time. They are just exceptionally talented players/genetic freaks of nature with ridiculous skill sets. Their ball and in Reids case, aerial skills are what separates them from the pack. They both do work in tight but that doesn't keep them from running out wide. Picamoles is at his most dangerous when he is 2-3 channels out from the ruck and has two backs matched up on him because he can draw defenders and offload in the tackle like SBW to unleash the outside backs. They have far more impact on the game than our 8's have had in recent years, but that has more to do

But their most important work is not out wide, is in the tight, and their tight game, breakdown involvements, tackling and leading up front is the first thing they do on the pitch.

Whatever they do out wide, comes only after that.

As a n. 8 must do.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Timani jumps guys, Cheika probably just told him he won't play locks that don't jump and as a result he has become the back jumper for the Tahs, and is doing well there.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Here's a theory from the Fern on Quade.

"Ewen McKenzie is trying to get Quade picked, 'cause he knows Quade will fuck up, lose the Wallabies the series, cost Robbie his job, and then Ewen gets the promotion.

Then he won't pick Cooper, because he will want to win"

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

"Ewen McKenzie is trying to get Quade picked, 'cause he knows Quade will fuck up, lose the Wallabies the series, cost Robbie his job, and then Ewen gets the promotion.

Or this opinion;

Yet Cooper is only one part of a bigger picture in terms of the Wallaby coaching job. In keeping the Reds playmaker at arm’s length, Deans has presented his ongoing vision for the national side, one starkly at odds to that of Ewen McKenzie, his chief rival f

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...tom-of-deansmckenzie-maul-20130521-2jxxo.html

I honestly don't think he will play for the Wallabies. Deans is too adamant in his defence of his decision and there may be another game going on here. Just the type of unity we need with the BIL's here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Timani jumps guys, Cheika probably just told him he won't play locks that don't jump and as a result he has become the back jumper for the Tahs, and is doing well there.

Agreed, but I also see in the French league the locks lifting the lifter as a variation, it makes sense to me

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

THAT GRASSY KNOLL CONSPIRACY THEORY - WAS IT THE CAI, FBI, THE MAFIA OR THOSE FRIGGIN' CUBANS ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.