• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
25 to start.

Three injuries - Timani, higgers, Ioane - 22

Three replacements - Douglas, McCalman, Phipps - 25

But Ioane is training with the squad - 25.5

Timani was at the start of camp event with his hand in plaster - 26

Beale and white train with the team - 28

6 more to be added, likely including Beale and white - 32

Simple really
wonder how they number off on the team bus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the squad numbers are going to be largely fluid.

Whilst I imagine Beale will be officially named in the final 6, I doubt Ioane will. I think he'll just take his position back and we'll have one extra in the squad.

If someone like Higgers gets healthy during the series I think he'll just be slotted into the squad without anyone dropping out or an official announcement.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the squad numbers are going to be largely fluid.

Whilst I imagine Beale will be officially named in the final 6, I doubt Ioane will. I think he'll just take his position back and we'll have one extra in the squad.

If someone like Higgers gets healthy during the series I think he'll just be slotted into the squad without anyone dropping out or an official announcement.
I knew it - 42 is the answer

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't care how big the squad is, whether that be the "official" squad or the other 15 odd units floating around in re-hab or covering for re-hab

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't care how big the squad is, whether that be the "official" squad or the other 15 odd units floating around in re-hab or covering for re-hab

My guess is that it is a budgeting issue. The more players in the squad, the higher the travel and accommodation costs, I imagine - presuming that all players in the official squad would attend all squad activities.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Who is in this "Deans knows best" brigade? I can't really think of "three prominent posters" who will eagerly and unquestioningly leap to his defense. I do see a lot of people trying to understand the selections and their relation to the possible game plan, which is not at all the same thing as agreeing with those selections. For me, at least, it provokes more interesting discussion than everyone bashing away at a variation on "Deans sucks".

Awah, give a guy a break. Trying as I do to be a seasonal forecaster of Robbie-related Wallaby memes is a tricky business, even for amateurs like me. I'll keep working to improve my skills at this complex process. If I miss the subtlety and seriousness of those whose quest is, as you say, 'to understand the selections and their relation to the possible game plan', there is no intent to malign. I apologise unreservedly for any inadvertent exaggerations on my part.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
RH, it's an internet forum. You're supposed to come out all guns blazing rather than act like a gentleman. :)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
My guess is that it is a budgeting issue. The more players in the squad, the higher the travel and accommodation costs, I imagine - presuming that all players in the official squad would attend all squad activities.

Exactly and that will be their excuse for not making the aqua bigger in the first instance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how Pocock, TPN and Higginbotham go in the next couple of years.

After missing out on the biggest potential tour of their career I think all three will be massively hungry for success in the future.

I think all three of them will be incredibly focused towards the 2015 World Cup.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
It will be interesting to see how Pocock, TPN and Higginbotham go in the next couple of years.

After missing out on the biggest potential tour of their career I think all three will be massively hungry for success in the future.

I think all three of them will be incredibly focused towards the 2015 World Cup.

Pocock seems to be ridiculously injury prone lately. I honestly reckon its one of the issues of being so beefed up. His arms are literally the size of my thighs and I doubt he was that big in high school. Maybe he needs to take a rest on the protein and gym sessions? haha.

Anyone else have an opinion?

As much as we hate Richie McCheat, he is a bloody legend of a footballer and he is not even half as huge as pocock. Just a tough bastard.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pocock was monster pretty early. Basically started to put himself through elite level training while still at high school I believe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some people are certainly more susceptible to knee injuries even if they experience exactly the same contortion or force on their knee. His early work in the gym may have weakened his knee joint.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I seem to remember reading something about tendons and ligaments not being able to cope with larger than normal muscle mass. But I'm no expert on the subject.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Have real doubts as to whether Pocock will make it back to the level he once was - or maybe he won't be the absolute automatic selection he once was.

These 2 young blokes (Gill and Hooper) are gaining experience each week. Both bring different top level skills - Gill with the pilfer and hooper with his attacking game. Poey is/was a great pilferererer but IMO a shithouse runner.

Gill and Hooper will play the Lions and gain further valuable experience.

That No. 7 jersey will be hotly contested over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.