• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Just out of curiosity, what happens if Lawrence scrutinises the breakdown heavily in that game like many refs regularly do?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I watched this game once where David Pocock individually won the bloody thing. Not with a try at the death or a penalty kick, but by ruling the breakdown from the first minute to the last. It was the RWC 2011 quarter final. I can't think of a better performance by a Wallaby in the last decade.

Pat McCabe. Do be fucking serious.

I also watched a game where Pat McCabe tackled himself into a hospital ward, and stopped countless Springbok forays by belting them all night, and made almost as large a contribution to the team's victory as Pocock did.

Funnily enough, same game. He's much, much better than people give him credit for.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pat McCabe is very good at what he does. He closes down the 10-12 channel and manages to get over the advantage line. It is no surprise however that JW prefers Lilo in the 12 position. He realises that the Brumbies will not consistently win games by just shutting down the opposition. They also need to score points. If he is fit I would be very surprised if Deans did not include McCabe in his final squad. He is a handy bloke to have around and would be very useful to close out tight games.
But I would start Lilo, Horne and maybe even Bieber before McCabe at 12 in the test side.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think it works both ways.

Having bigger muscles allows you to exert more force on your joints whilst your ligaments don't get any stronger (i.e. pushing against resistence or changing direction more violently).

On the other hand, the muscles help stabilise the joint and act to lessen the impact on ligaments (i.e. if your quads/hamstrings weren't helping stabilise your knee and take a lot of the force, your knee ligaments would be under far more stress and be more susceptible to injury).

I think the one clear detriment to the extra muscle is that it adds weight and the more weight you're carrying, the more pressure you're exerting on your ligaments.

Some of the 'newer' injuries which have emerged in football like torn biceps and pectorals seem to be very much a result of people getting stronger and more muscly. These injuries were almost unheard of up until a couple of years ago.

I'm definitely no expert on this subject. My expertise begins and ends with my own knee injuries and keen interest in the medical side of that.
Like you my interest began with personal experience.
One of my surgeons said there was a theory that the size of the trochlear grove was a factor in predisposition to rupturing the ACL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19915941
Another theory (the reason for the stepping through old tyres drill) was that a proprioceptive nerve signal got jumbled (my laymans paraphrase) so that the brain did not know what the true position of the knée was: http://www.spdaustralia.com.au/the-proprioceptive-system/
This was 20 and 25 years ago so I suspect things might have moved on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think it might have a lot to do with genetics. I have had operations on both knees including a reco on my right. Problems started when I was about 17.

My maternal grandmother and two maternal uncles also had major knee surgery. One of the uncles had a reconstruction when he was a state afl rep and only 18 years old.

Of course in professional sport the forces can be so great that good genetics aren't going to save you.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
Sounds like Hooper should play 12.
Just lurk but don't comment much but my thinking exactly.
More 13 really, no obvious heir apparent for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Except the Badger).
He passes better than our last decade or so of 13s(AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Stirling,Herbert) and could be taught the defensive systems of a 13 easily enough.and is quicker.
Stranger things have happened eg an average super 15 winger/fullback moved to inside centre 2 months before a world cup outside a five eighth who loves to attack but needs some options.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
I simply cannot believe that anyone here really thinks that both Hooper and Gill have overtaken Pocock. You must have lost your mind! How many Tests has Gill played? How many MOM performances has he put in as a Wallaby? How many match-winning games has played for the Wallabies? I'm not even an Ausssie and I'm offended that anyone would consider Gill to be a better option, a better 7 or a better player than Pocock right now. I can see the argument for Hooper ( I don't agree but I can see the argument) but Gill? Gill?! Liam Gill?!?

Geeez...have some respect for your great Wallaby players!!
See your argument.He has some good games but missing in a lot(of super Rugby games)He is no G.Smith,Pocock,Poidevin(Yet)

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
I also watched a game where Pat McCabe tackled himself into a hospital ward, and stopped countless Springbok forays by belting them all night, and made almost as large a contribution to the team's victory as Pocock did.

Funnily enough, same game. He's much, much better than people give him credit for.
I hear what you are saying but there are probably a dozen guys ,playing club or bush Rugby around Australia,90kgish,if told you are going from the wing/fullback from the Orange Emus to inside centre for the Wallabies, to tackle your arse off and run really really hard and get belted until you bust your neck and shoulder would do it for the chance to wear the Green and yellow and do just as well.
I would have done so myself but could never crack 90kgs myself no matter how many banana smoothies I drank and weights I lifted .Now 45 I have realised the secret is not moving and have cracked the 90 and am waiting for Dingos call.
The thing is you cannot criticise his heart or commitment but he has no skills, stifles the backline and if you want a big hard man there put a BIG man there eg the Badger or anyone tbh to take on Jamie Roberts(who has been poor in our 8 of last 9 wins against Wales.not exact sure of stats but whatever)
Fuck them and pick OUR side to play OUR game. Unfortunately a coach on 1m a year does no want to lose and will not think like that(and would you?)
Ok back to the drink, lived in London for many years but coming home for the Lions,VERY EXCITED.Nothing personal Brumbieman , have always enjoyed your posts here and on PR, I am an old ACT boy myself(the Mighty Whites a long time ago) Will have another drink..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why has it got to be a joke? He (Matt Hodgson) has been massive all year can cover 6 7 and 8 and showed tonight he can mix it with the big boys. If you want a back row utility here are non better in aus and he is also a handy lineout option he isnt the talest guy but get up quick.pound for pound he is the strongest player in aus if not super rugby. He has test expereince and 2 man of the match mid week games. He Was never really give the chance to show what he can do in a gold jersey.
The real joke is that he plays for the force hence he wont get a look in.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I present this as the first nomination for the 2013 G&GR cyclops award..........

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Patty McCabe has one thing over the other hairstyles - gigantic fucking balls. Never EVER think for a moment that can be trained. Fancy moves and "talent" are all well and good, but you need a bloke out there who will make an absolute shunt out of himself the whole game on attack and defence, and Pat's the man for that.

Is he the best option available? Maybe not with Horne adding a few strings to his bow recently.

Pocock v Hooper v Gill - the facts

1) Pocock is stronger at the breakdown, but worst with the ball
2) Hooper is best with the ball, but not as quick or strong at the breakdown
3) Gill is quicker at the breakdown, and has the best hands

You're welcome.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can understand Dean's need for strong defenders across the park after watching the Lions last night

We will need to stop them on or before the gain line to have any chance, when the force did stop them, the Lions were just OK, when they got a roll on they were impressive - they reminded me of a skilful Bulls side when they got rolling.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)

I give MacCabe credit where its due. Hes good at his job... tackling. Unfortunately thats not all an inside centre is required to do. He doesnt have the kicking and passing game required. I do have respect for him without a doubt, hes got nuts the size of my head and makes some huge tackles and can stopped back line momentum. However, his skills in the other parts of teh game are just not up to the standard he needs to play successfully at a test level.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it works both ways.

Having bigger muscles allows you to exert more force on your joints whilst your ligaments don't get any stronger (i.e. pushing against resistence or changing direction more violently).

On the other hand, the muscles help stabilise the joint and act to lessen the impact on ligaments (i.e. if your quads/hamstrings weren't helping stabilise your knee and take a lot of the force, your knee ligaments would be under far more stress and be more susceptible to injury).

I think the one clear detriment to the extra muscle is that it adds weight and the more weight you're carrying, the more pressure you're exerting on your ligaments.

Some of the 'newer' injuries which have emerged in football like torn biceps and pectorals seem to be very much a result of people getting stronger and more muscly. These injuries were almost unheard of up until a couple of years ago.

I'm definitely no expert on this subject. My expertise begins and ends with my own knee injuries and keen interest in the medical side of that.
The elephant in the room for those of us in the sports medicine world professionally is the increased use of steroids and other supplements, correspondent to the obsession with size. Not only do these substances promote quick unnatural muscle hypertrophy, they have a deleterious effect on tendon health in animal studies. Have you noticed the number of pec major and bicep ruptures in NRL players reported in the media in the last 5 years. Dont expect the mainstream media or the NRL to mount an enquiry anytime soon. I guess a positive is that in our game, which has many of the same physical shoulder stresses, I can barely remember a ruptured pec reported in the professional ranks. A decade ago, the only young patients presenting with these injuries were Body builders who openly used drugs. Whilst I understand that there exists a correlation between steroid use and prevalence of injury, equivocal research to prove causation is still to be done. Kids out there : just dont listen to so called "experts" with quick fixes.

Gentics, however, is a major proven causal factor in shoulder dislocation and subluxation. Often players are directed to intensively strengthen the shoulder muscles as a preventative strategy. Unfortunately, the forces applied to the shoulder or arm that cause the unnatural displacement of the humeral head happen in hundreths of a second, before the ability to "tense" or "co-contract" the muscles. Better strategies would be to focus on tackling technique and learning to fall with arms tucked in whenever possible, I feel. But at the end of the day, sometimes you just cant avoid injuries like this. It has always been, and always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.