• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

wallabies definitly in starting side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Please be reminded if we are talking about fully fit players - Will Chambers & Digby Ioane out til 2011 after they had a shoulder reconstruction

I'd bring Rod Davies in

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
He played U20s last year
Unfortunately he was injured during the Australian Barbarians series.

I heard he was being touted to play in the Commonwealth Games til he got reinjured. But from what I've heard he's almost fully fit.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Still don't understand why Ioane is a sure starter. He crabs across field more than Giteau...

Are you serious? He is our most destructive backline runner, and while he might go sideways for a few steps you can bet when he straightens he does it with intent.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock
TPN
Horwill

The heart and pride in what they do is why I say this. The current Wallaby side is talented but this is the stuff they are lacking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sharpe is not a sure starter for me...

Sure, his ball carries gain metres but he tends to go to ground quickly.

He's reliable in the lineout... nothing more.

But his work in the tight is severely lacking... last weekend when the Wallabies had the ball I believe he only participated in about half as many rucks as his forward teammates...

Also, he completely weakens our scrum and this is a very serious matter... what difference does it make what TH we're playing if they're not going to get any support?

I'm holding onto the hope we can field a better starting lock partnership come RWC... I doubt it though...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Robinson
TPN
Horwill
Pocock
Genia when he's on his game
Cooper
Ioane
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

And probably Rocky and Alexander as well.

A couple of years ago I would have said Giteau for sure, but he's been off his game a bit of late.

The rest are still unproven in my mind. Sharpe has been our best lock of late, but its not like he's had alot of good competition.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
If you want to select Giteau, make sure a cracker is in tow.

Pocock
The Faingaas

I'm starting to like Simmons as well.

Also Van Humphries, he has a cracker of a year and could be an inspirational figure, a la Brad Thorn.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Despite what you'd like to think as NSW supporter, I think you will find that 90% of rugby fans would have Genia in their starting side. While he was very average on the weekend, he as proven himself as a much better player than all other options for 9 in this country.

90% of supporters may have him in there starting side, but he shouldnt be high on the list with his form so far this year. Burgess has played the better international rugby than Genia so far.

if you reverse it and burgess is starting and putting in the same games genia has you would be all over him for the axe wouldnt you?

isnt picking on reputation what got us here to begin with?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
90% of supporters may have him in there starting side, but he shouldnt be high on the list with his form so far this year. Burgess has played the better international rugby than Genia so far.

if you reverse it and burgess is starting and putting in the same games genia has you would be all over him for the axe wouldnt you?

Good point. No use replacing one herd of sacred cows with another.

H

H...

What 90% of supporters want is usually a clear guide of what not to do.

Shit, there's folk on PR who'd have Giteau playing tighthead prop if it meant keeping him in the team.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

WJ makes an interesting and troubling point. Genia only became the first choice 9 for the Wallabies around the EOYT last year (probably post-Brisvegas TNs test) but already he's being picked while out of form and (apparently) injured. So in 7 tests (is it?) he has become a reputation selection rather than a form selection.

(N.B yes, I am a NSWelshman, but I'm not fishing for Queenslanders.)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Saw Dan Vickerman in Darlinghurst yesterday (a moment before I spotted Malcolm Turnbull taking tea at Sel & Poivre, but that's another story) pushing his youngster around in a pram. Crikey he's a big bastard, his wife comes up to his shoulder. He looked fit and well, no sign of a limp or any other physical discomfort.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Saw Dan Vickerman in Darlinghurst yesterday (a moment before I spotted Malcolm Turnbull taking tea at Sel & Poivre, but that's another story) pushing his youngster around in a pram. Crikey he's a big bastard, his wife comes up to his shoulder. He looked fit and well, no sign of a limp or any other physical discomfort.

She's quite tall then. :) He's a big lad.

I hope you're right about "fit and well", we need him bad!

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Burgess has had one good game for the Wallabies this year, the rest have been average and against weaker competition. Genia has been average in his games. Over their short careers, Genia has played better international and super 14 rugby that Burgess, who still can't pass (something is somewhat critical for a halfback).

I have said many a time it was ridiculous that Genia wasn't subbed early (say around 50mins) in Christchurch, because he looked like he wasn't up to the pace, however I still back him as a far superior half back to Burgess as I suspect most impartial supporters would.

Your constant insistence that Burgess is a better player than Genia is akin to me trying to say Saia Fa'ainga is a better player than TPN. Sheer fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.