• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
O'Connor may have stuffed up on the MaCaw try but people are also forgeting it was a great tackle of his that stopped Mils from scoring. The Wallabies did not use the inside ball as much as needed and we failed to read the play on occasions.

To put this back into perspective, we went down by a single point after fading in the final 15 minutes, largely as a result of two brutal games against the Boks and the return trip home. Full credit to the All Blacks for thier try nations success. They do all the basics brilliantly and capitalize on opportunity. What they also had was the easiest draw possible this tri nations. They got the week off between Christchurch and Soweto (this would of helped them steal the win in Soweto) and I don't think they played three games back to back without a break.

I think the Wallabies had a bloody good crack tonight and only just fell short. As Austin said, no shame in hat loss.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The AB's were terrible in the first 60. They looked like they were the ones coming back from South Africa rather than the Wallabies. IMO 3 factors cost the Wallabies the game;
1. Winning experience/Confidence. Call it what you want but winning becomes habitual, especially in close/pressure situations. The AB's have @ present, the Wallabies are building it.
2. Giteau's goal kicking. Simple, he kicks one more and the Wallabies win.
3. Travel factor. Wallabies were off their feet in the last 10mins. That wasn't a coincidence. 2 weeks of hard rugby in South Africa followed by a trip home, 5 days to prepare, tired bodies, jet lag.

What the Kiwi said - although I don't think #3 is that big an issue, but a little bit.
And not the ref.

M

Mojoman

By Robbie's comments in the press conference, he seems to feel that it was a move that was planeed to beat the refs. That is he thought that McCaw purposefully came off the scrum prior to it ending so that he could get in a position to receive the ball. I doubt Deans would say that sort of thing lightly, and he is certainly not a complainer.
My beef with Robbie's comments is "How does he know it was planned/on purpose?" Unless he taught the move to Read/McCaw while he was Coach of the Crusaders. Shitty calls happen. The way things were going the AB's probably would've scored some other way. The Wallabies were tiring badly @ that stage.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
By Robbie's comments in the press conference, he seems to feel that it was a move that was planeed to beat the refs. That is he thought that McCaw purposefully came off the scrum prior to it ending so that he could get in a position to receive the ball. I doubt Deans would say that sort of thing lightly, and he is certainly not a complainer.

Yes it was a very surprising break from his usual say nothing of note approach. Was obviously very careful not to say anything that could get him or the ARU fined but definietly implied that this move and other amounted to systemic cheating that they are "clever" enough to get away with.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like Im second home from the game. Unlike Lee, I am devastated and its lucky I took my mum with me to the game to keep me on my best behaviour. These Wobbs are the masters at wasting opportunities, in fact thats really the hallmark of the deans era. We did more than enough to win this game, we just didn't convert our pressure into points. Poor kicking from Giteau and poor decisions from Elsom. My only criticism of coaching for this game was that they left it too late to bring on the cavalry. Our boys were out on their feet and 5 mins later the blacks had taken the lead and our opportunity was gone.

But we should have put the game out of reach (or atleast required the blacks to score 3 times to win). I am sick of losing games due to Giteau missing kicks. Lets someone else kick, otherwise I am happy with Gits at 12.

Got to say that McCaw is immense and is worth the admission price by itself. There will be very few NZ players rated ahead of him when he hangs up his boots.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My beef with Robbie's comments is "How does he know it was planned/on purpose?" Unless he taught the move to Read/McCaw while he was Coach of the Crusaders. Shitty calls happen. The way things were going the AB's probably would've scored some other way. The Wallabies were tiring badly @ that stage.

You think? Just have a look at the move, Reid didn't even look another way, he turned straight to McCaw as soon as he picked up.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
And that would make me third home from the game.

Turner looked sharpe, as did Sharpie (funny that). Burgo could've used 10 more minutes on the park, but the energy he brought couldn't lift the depleted Wobs.

McCaw's nigling cheatery is a sight to behold.

Also, I believe tonight we witnessed the longest advantage ever played by a referee.

Konza out.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The positivies: Kurtley Beale backing himself. Rocky, Chis and Moore stepping up. Ma'afu not as shit as usual. Wallabies scrum was'nt terrible.

Negatives: Matt Giteau. Coopers defense. Genia is lacking somthing - I think he needs some hardcore fitness training. Same old lack of composure and ticker from the wobs. Did I mention Matt Giteau...

M

Mojoman

You think? Just have a look at the move, Reid didn't even look another way, he turned straight to McCaw as soon as he picked up.
Where else was Read going to look? Of course it's a planned backrow move. What I'm saying is it comes down to timing. As a flanker if you detach early it's more than likely due to timing. Robbie should look @ JOC (James O'Connor)'s defensive error that lead to the try.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Pity there is a break between this game and hong kong, If we had to play next week, gits and genia might find themselves warming the pine, but with a break in between it will all be forgotten and probably revert to the status quo in HK.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's a tough pill to swallow losing close games, the Kefu try, Eales kick, Burke kick to name a few and I know back then there were so many things I blew up about, poor reffing decisions poor AB performances etc

But I look back and realise that those Wallaby sides had experienced test players and confidence that the ABs simply did not have against OZ

We have that now and whilst it might be a bit psycho babble, but hat confidence does wonders when a game is so close

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was another wasted opportunity.

The Wallabies had the Blacks on the ropes in the first half and couldn't put them away. As I said pre-match, Barnes should have started with Gits on the bench. Gits had a huge tour of SA and really put his body on the line. Barnes would have been a better bet this week. 3 weeks and a lot of travel was just too much for them in the last 20.
McCalman looked good for the most part and Turner played well.
Next time we see the Wallabies they should have Ben A. at TH, Mitchell back on the wing and possibly Palu and/or Horwill in the 22.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Might be an unpopular opinion but for every shite decision against the Wallabies there was another against the Blackness. Turner made a brilliant tackle on Mils to stop him scoring from the Dagg infield kick but he then blatantly played the ball on the ground slowing NZ ball and lucky not to be carded. Then JOC (James O'Connor) comes in, infringes and is lucky not to be carded himself. The ref had a shit game and i think both sets of fans missed out in the end(though i'm sure us Kiwis are slightly happier)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree - he defends badly on the wing - it is a positional thing. I think he knows 12 better and has defended much better there in the past. His tackling technique is OK, his placement is all wrong.

Agree Cyclo. His tackling for the Force at 12 has been fine. He just doesn't know where to position himself at 14 and it has cost us 4 or 5 tries on defence in the TN.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Might be an unpopular opinion but for every shite decision against the Wallabies there was another against the Blackness. Turner made a brilliant tackle on Mils to stop him scoring from the Dagg infield kick but he then blatantly played the ball on the ground slowing NZ ball and lucky not to be carded. Then JOC (James O'Connor) comes in, infringes and is lucky not to be carded himself. The ref had a shit game and i think both sets of fans missed out in the end(though i'm sure us Kiwis are slightly happier)

I agree crangs. A lot of the reffing comments are just disappointment. He was equally shit.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Crazy match. On the whole i thought Lawrence was great, commanded the match well. For all those going on about Mccaw detatch etc, lest u forget that u scored a try from a scrum awarded for a non existent knock on..

All the talk coming into this season was pocock genia and Cooper. Wee, what about kurtley? He is awesome. Fantastic player.

In the nicest possible way the game was men against boys. Indont mean that in the offensive way. The boy wobs ran and kicked us off the parkmfor 60 mins. But at the end the men abs used heir experience to come back and snatch it. As an abbfan great to watch

In the next year or so, the boys will be men. take a lot of heart guys, your 2011 wc credentials went a long long way up in my eyes tonight.

M

Mainlander

Lotta coments about Richies try... Just like to pointout that as soon as Reed detatched to pick up the ball the ball is legally out and Richie was also therfore aloud to detatch which he did while Reed was picking up the ball. haven't slow framed it but from what I saw at the pub that's how it looked to me.

One point... your getting closer, just lacking experiance in my humble opinion, A Northern tour will help recify that, although the belief that they can actually beat the AB may take longer. Never thought I'd say this but the experiance of Mortlock in the back line to calm down the kids could be what's needed, Ashley Cooper is failing in this role and although Mortlock to be seemed to be over the hill and down to one good game in about three, him comming off the bench to take control of the kids when they're starting to freak could be what's needed to stop this second half colapse that has happen in the Wobblies last 4 games.

B

BRIX

In the next year or so, the boys will be men. take a lot of heart guys, your 2011 wc credentials went a long long way up in my eyes tonight

Bitter sweet mate. 17 unanswered points, 10th straight record loss, no DC for the blacks, and playing at home is not good enough in my eyes brother!

B

BRIX

Interesting point about Stirling and having an older head in the mix Mainlander. Where we could take a leaf out of the AB's book is in the assurance that your Captain brings to the team - it may seem elemetry at first glance but Richie dictates and decides procedures and what the best route to take is exceptionaly well...the rest of the team follow the game plan to an absolute tee. The kicks for touch at penalty time, the rolling mauls, the pill kept in close quarters etc. were a testement to the cohesion brings to the team on a whole, everything is done on purpose with purpose

Under Rocky, it seems to me as if the Wallabies play individualy and have no real game plan with their noses in front. They capitulate and play percentages rather than the Intelligent Rugby thats required. Although I love Elsoms brand of football, we cannot escape the fact that he is a little arrogant and egocentrical at times...I wonder just how much his decision making and communication skill set effects the team.

Again, well played Black

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
That is my point, without that score the ABs did not win. McCaw IS a cheat. He cheats constantly and it is not pushing the boundaries with split second judgement calls at the ruck.

broken-record.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.