• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think the framework dictates red card at the top end for leading with an elbow like that with contact to head / neck, but can be mitigated depending upon when the elbow is raised (pre or during / post contact). Surprising it wasn't at least looked at, given the ref and AR were within a few metres of it.

Surprised as well they didn’t look at it.
But I thought the contact was chest without a raised elbow (it was pointing downwards) and then his arms were lifted whilst in contact to shrug Tate off/ backwards rather than a strike.
But who knows.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Surprised as well they didn’t look at it.
But I thought the contact was chest without a raised elbow (it was pointing downwards) and then his arms were lifted whilst in contact to shrug Tate off/ backwards rather than a strike.
But who knows.

Mate, If Tate had tackled the guy properly it would of been a non issue. Instead he went for a front on ball and all tackle and got owned.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mate, If Tate had tackled the guy properly it would of been a non issue. Instead he went for a front on ball and all tackle and got owned.

He was stationary against a running player 2 metres out from the try line. He needed to try and hold up the French halfback. It would have been incredibly hard to make a dominant tackle around the waist such as to drive the ball carrier back from that position.

A regulation tackle would have seen the try scored comfortably pretty much every time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If the French captain had palmed off Koroibete, Marika wouldn’t have been red carded. Very strange argument, what happened happened and that’s what should have being adjudicated on.

Reactions: TSR

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
If the French captain had palmed off Koroibete, Marika wouldn’t have been red carded. Very strange argument, what happened happened and that’s what should have being adjudicated on.

Not strange at all. If Koroibete had the ball and made the same run and contact, no card,

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not strange at all. If Koroibete had the ball and made the same run and contact, no card,
Your argument is that because Tate could have made a more effective tackle (in your mind at least) then the contact to the head is null and void. Using that logic, because the French captain could have made a more effective carry then Koroibete should not have been carded.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Your argument is that because Tate could have made a more effective tackle (in your mind at least) then the contact to the head is null and void. Using that logic, because the French captain could have made a more effective carry then Koroibete should not have been carded.

Don’t think he’s commenting on the contact at all. Just saying if he’d made a better tackle we wouldn’t be having the discussion.
I tend to agree. Tate planted, stopped and waited for the contact. And got munted.
That close to the line you want to be driving forward in the tackle.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I can’t believe we won that. To win despite being a player down for almost the entire match? Has to be up there as one of the bravest Wallabies results ever. My voice is shot to pieces - it felt like the whole stadium was going to mutiny when Korobete got the red card. I’ve since absorbed every analysis piece and rewatched the game this afternoon on Stan. What a game. Rugby, how bloody good!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Think it was Valentini - not releasing. He carried it in and still had it when the whistle was blown. Ref pointed to Philip though but he never had the ball.
It was a pretty tough call. Philip and Uelese pushed right over the top of him clearing out.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Don’t think he’s commenting on the contact at all. Just saying if he’d made a better tackle we wouldn’t be having the discussion.
I tend to agree. Tate planted, stopped and waited for the contact. And got munted.
That close to the line you want to be driving forward in the tackle.
Oh ok, a bit “and if my grandma had wheels she’d be a bike” then, since the efficacy of the tackle is a separate conversation to the legality of the fend, but play on I guess.

Reactions: dru

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
It was a pretty tough call. Philip and Uelese pushed right over the top of him clearing out.

But in that stage of the game, he should have just taken the hitup and presented ball cleanly, but you could see he hit and then tried to drive, which then allowed time for French to get over and made it harder for our cleaners.