• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But in that stage of the game, he should have just taken the hitup and presented ball cleanly, but you could see he hit and then tried to drive, which then allowed time for French to get over and made it harder for our cleaners.

Yes but if he just hit and dropped it raises the likelihood of our guys sealing off and getting done for going off their feet.

Closing out a game like that is always fraught. I reckon it ends in a penalty to the defensive team on at least 50% of occasions. I thought we were at least smart enough to stay close to touch so it didn't present a kickable chance if we were penalised.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree, was saying to the Mrs how well the guys were going, getting the 10 metres upfield and keep within the tram tracks in case we give away a penalty just the the referee obliged.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes but if he just hit and dropped it raises the likelihood of our guys sealing off and getting done for going off their feet.

Closing out a game like that is always fraught. I reckon it ends in a penalty to the defensive team on at least 50% of occasions. I thought we were at least smart enough to stay close to touch so it didn't present a kickable chance if we were penalised.
Also cut down the angle they had to kick for touch.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Was lucky enough to witness this one in person at Suncorp on Saturday. One of the more memorable wallaby games I've attended live.

I will say, I thought it was a cracker test series. Close, gritty, sew-sawing games, always on a knifes edge. It's what makes test rugby so engaging. Most of the casual sporting fans. that I have spoken over the last two weeks have tuned in and seem to have really enjoyed them. I think even the league fans were happy to see some games that weren't 40 point blowouts. That also seems to be reflected in the ratings, which are pretty decent. More of this please...It's actually a shame that we now parlay this into 3 games against the All Blacks, which every year seems to just kill the general enthusiasm around the team. I've been saying for a few years now, I'd really like to see the wallabies play the All Blacks less. 1 to 2 games would suffice. Rennie looks to be building a pretty decent young team with some heart, but I do worry that the All Blacks look a level above us right now and exposing them to potentially 3 straight losses, off the back of such a nice series win, isn't really doing the wallabies brand any favours. I realise there are financial considerations at play but, if this year has taught us anything its that Australian's love good compelling rugby, but aren't interested in tuning in to see the kiwis beat us every weekend. I think it would be better for the development of the game (and arguably for the development of the team) to have more series like this, and less games against the All Blacks.

I think the biggest positive from the series was clearly the development of this squad. Swain looks like a test 2nd rower. Lolesi's performance on the weekend was one of the best I've seen from a wallabies 10 in a few years. Paisami and Ikitau are coming along nicely. Swinton and Valentini both looked like solid options at 6. Angus Bell had a quality series.

Tate McDermott clearly showed he's our best 9. I'm still scratching my brain as to how Rennie came to the conclusion that Jake Gordan would be a better fit for us at test level. Anyone that still wants to claim that Gordan sis a better 9 than Tate is a blind fool, imo.

My biggest concern is the outside back situation. Koribete looked our best outside back by a country mile, and he's leaving the country soon. Daugunu is now out for RC. Vunivali is potentially out for the RC. Who fckn know with Petaia (who seems to be injured more than he's fit). No real world beaters coming through. The cupboard is looking a bit bare - which is really worrying going in to a series against the all blacks and springboks who will likely expose us out wide.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yeah I think they did a pretty good job, honestly. When the whistle blew, I saw the field position and thought that the field position would have made it difficult to land a penalty and that was only to draw the game. We did an even better job of stopping the maul when they kicked for touch.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like how Wright was kept close to the team (water boy/general dog's body?) after being 'dropped.' Or am I reading too much into it?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like how Wright was kept close to the team (water boy/general dog's body?) after being 'dropped.' Or am I reading too much into it?

I think it's possibly just easier - rather than bringing someone else in? Or maybe everyone who isn't playing gets a go?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just looking at the 3-2-1 thread, and I'm happy to see Hooper dominating the votes as he should.

Rewatching the game, you can't help but notice he's just everywhere. It's something that you can't quantify in tackle numbers or metres gained or breakdowns hit. When Lolesio's kick was charged down in our 22, who was there to collect it? Hooper. When the French overthrew a lineout and their halfback had a clear run to the line, who stopped him? Hooper. When we need a game-changing play, who made the run and threw the ball to make it happen? Hooper.

He reads the game like nobody else, and combined with his motor it means he's always there when you need him. He's Man of the Series and it's not really close. And that's before you get to his captaincy, which is as good as I've seen it. Taking the points when needed, picking the right moments to keep the foot on the throat.

He's just very, very good at rugby.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I did think Hooper seemed much more comfortable in the Captain role than in previous seasons. In the past he's been guilty of bad decision making (failing to take points on offer) and constantly getting on the bad side of the ref. Neither was a problem in this series. I was actually impressed by his composure when O'Keefe showed Marika the red. Didn't remonstrate, just asked whether there was any mitigation and then moved on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
An unexpected positive of losing your two front line wingers in the first 5 minutes. No heater skelter flinging it wide stuff.

From the Wallabies 2021 thread, Reg made a good point here and it flips both ways.

Losing our winger early saw us forced into a tighter game plan, but it also saw the French change their tactics too. All of a sudden their usual territory game was replaced by trying to spread it wide in their own half.

It worked spectacularly on one occasion, but hurt them badly a few other times. They made mistakes and coughed up possession. Their inexperience showed and it was one reason why it all worked out for us in the end.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just looking at the 3-2-1 thread, and I'm happy to see Hooper dominating the votes as he should.

Rewatching the game, you can't help but notice he's just everywhere. It's something that you can't quantify in tackle numbers or metres gained or breakdowns hit. When Lolesio's kick was charged down in our 22, who was there to collect it? Hooper. When the French overthrew a lineout and their halfback had a clear run to the line, who stopped him? Hooper. When we need a game-changing play, who made the run and threw the ball to make it happen? Hooper.

He reads the game like nobody else, and combined with his motor it means he's always there when you need him. He's Man of the Series and it's not really close. And that's before you get to his captaincy, which is as good as I've seen it. Taking the points when needed, picking the right moments to keep the foot on the throat.

He's just very, very good at rugby.

0a94deae0334484d4a5d19e63f793720.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From the Wallabies 2021 thread, Reg made a good point here and it flips both ways.

Losing our winger early saw us forced into a tighter game plan, but it also saw the French change their tactics too. All of a sudden their usual territory game was replaced by trying to spread it wide in their own half.

It worked spectacularly on one occasion, but hurt them badly a few other times. They made mistakes and coughed up possession. Their inexperience showed and it was one reason why it all worked out for us in the end.

The French D first strategy which plans to hand back possession, has to be the worst strategy against 14 men. Everything had to work well for a win, and it did.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there any way to read the decision? I can't find it anywhere.

Marika Koroibete Red Card not upheld

Independent disciplinary process update: Marika Koroibete (Australia).

Australian winger Marika Koroibete appeared before an independent judicial committee via video link, having received a Red Card for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.13 (dangerous tackle) in Australia’s international match against France on 17th July 2021.

The independent Disciplinary Committee chaired by Helen Morgan (New Zealand), joined by former players Mike Mika (New Zealand) and Chris Smith (New Zealand), heard the case, considering all the available evidence, including multiple broadcast angles and submissions from the player and his representative.

The player Marika Koroibete admitted to technically committing an act of foul play worthy of a red card. Having reviewed all the evidence, the committee deemed that Marika Koroibete’s tackle on French loose-forward Anthony Jelonch initially made shoulder to shoulder contact at the fifth minute of the game. Subsequently, through the impact, any contact to the chest and neck was incidental by Koroibete. Therefore, World Rugby’s Head Contact Process was not met due to mitigating factors, and the act of the foul play was secondary.

On that basis, the committee did not uphold the red card and the player is free to play again immediately.

Click here to watch the video that explains how rugby’s disciplinary process works.

Visit World Rugby’s dedicated disciplinary process education and information page here.

ENDS

ISSUED BY SANZAAR

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jelonch's theatrics were pretty poor but he's a great player and has behaved very well after the game. Very humble and gratefl for the tour etc. In saying that, Koroibete shows great restraint here, imagine how pissed Koroibete would've been to watch 80 minutes of the best Wallabies victory ever from the sideline, all because of some twat milking a card. I would've told Jelonch to go munch a baguette.
77wzb21fe9c71.jpg

Translation:
I'm very happy that the red card didn't stick, you're an amazing player! I wish you and your team the best. Also, thanks for this tournament!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Jelonch's theatrics were pretty poor but he's a great player and has behaved very well after the game. Very humble and gratefl for the tour etc. In saying that, Koroibete shows great restraint here, imagine how pissed Koroibete would've been to watch 80 minutes of the best Wallabies victory ever from the sideline, all because of some twat milking a card. I would've told Jelonch to go munch a baguette.
77wzb21fe9c71.jpg

Translation:
I'm very happy that the red card didn't stick, you're an amazing player! I wish you and your team the best. Also, thanks for this tournament!
So is Koroibete trilingual or did JOC (James O'Connor) translate that for him?