• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I attended a Rugby breakfast this morning that Stephen Moore and Ben Mowen spoke at.

Interesting takeaway from Mowen was that the breakdown is officiating so differently in France and AU, at a Club level, in regards to touching the ground ahead of turniver attempt.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
In my wild erratic fancies I see men in Gold running up the back of a "slow to move away" French player.
That would stop them loitering at the feet of our half back.
Agreed. Gordon was hurdling loitering players all game and our clean outs don’t need any more impediments.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This. Tupou looked better as a starter and a finisher than Ala'alatoa which is not slight on Ala'alatoa at all who is a quality player. The aim has to be to have Tupou playing more minutes, rather than fewer in the future and that means transitioning to a starter. Not a bad conundrum to have at THP.

Australian sport has been through this before - Warne v MacGill!

Now I just hope Tupou doesn't sneak any of his mums special lollies

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
AAA better watch out for kidnappers.

iu

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah some easy to milk penalty opportunities there i woulda thought. I think Gordon missed a trick with that a bit, someone like Smith would've been screaming bloody murder and flinging balls into the heads of French defenders left and right.

Gordon probably would have been derided by many on here for more "wild passes" if he did. And given how Doleman was reffing, penalised to boot for *insert gallic shrug*

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A team full of units who have never played together = one out running, no defensive cohesion and a million errors

I don't like this FP but I agree. Touring sides generally get better as they play more together and develop combinations and understanding of less familiar players. I will be barracking for the Wallabies but expecting a 10 - 15 win for the French.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Not sure why the pessimism. We outscored the French two tries to one. They hardly looked like scoring but took all their penalties and kept the scoreboard ticking over. We won almost every statistic despite being outplayed at the breakdown and once again left too many points on the park.
Improve our discipline and with a bit more scrutiny on the breakdown I think we’ll get this one.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I attended a Rugby breakfast this morning that Stephen Moore and Ben Mowen spoke at.

Interesting takeaway from Mowen was that the breakdown is officiating so differently in France and AU, at a Club level, in regards to touching the ground ahead of turniver attempt.
I would like to understand that more as French had more speed to breakdown and securing possession so wonder what you or mower outlined contributing to that

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I been reading on Roar, where Tate McDemott (and Rennie) have siad there is a problem with his core skills, mainly passing. Surely by the time he playing test rugby you would imagine core skills should be good, tate supposedly says he been working on his passing for last year, but still not working? Something is perhaps not right if he can'r get it?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I been reading on Roar, where Tate McDemott (and Rennie) have siad there is a problem with his core skills, mainly passing. Surely by the time he playing test rugby you would imagine core skills should be good, tate supposedly says he been working on his passing for last year, but still not working? Something is perhaps not right if he can'r get it?
I guess it’s relative Dan. For the average player and even Super rugby, McDermotts passing is generally fine. Last year in Super AU and again in Super TT McDermott outplayed most and held his own against the balance, except possibly Smith (although he didn’t actually go head to head with Smith as Thomas started). His passing game was generally good enough and his running and defence compensated - although I feel the Reds could have benefitted at times from him having a better kicking game they were good enough to win without it.

He is getting picked because, despite the weakness, he is still the best option available overall. Kinda like when we kept picking Campo even though his tackling was sub par, but his upside more than made up for it.

But at test level where the 1%s count even more everything is magnified. So we start talking about things like McDermott’s left to right passing.

Taking last year as an example, IMO Tate was outstanding in Super Rugby to the point I barely noticed his pass being a bit weak in that side and when other posters noted it I thought they were being very picky. It was really only when it came out that Thorn had told him to use his rotation period to work on it that I started to notice.

It does seem a bit odd it isn’t something he can’t nail within 6 months of focused effort, but I guess somethings like muscle memory and technique flaws can take a while to correct. Likewise his box kicking. I do like the fact though that it has been identified early and they are seeking to address it. One of the most damning facts on our development over the last 10 yrs is that too many guys with deficiencies in their core skills showed no sign of improving them over the course of their career.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I would like to understand that more as French had more speed to breakdown and securing possession so wonder what you or mower outlined contributing to that

I suspect that the key is the last phrase in regards to touching the ground ahead of turniver attempt'. If you look at the breakdown you will see the French regularly have at least one hand and sometimes two on the ground before or during securing of the ball. It is very obvious in the last turnover that gave the penalty to the French to be able to then kick the ball out and win the game. Doleman just failed to referee it. In Super Rugby the referees have usually been very hard on not allowing hands to touch the ground. What the French are doing allows them to get more secure over the ball and harder to clean out as a result.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
How much will it benefit the Wallabies to simply get quick ball though?

The real area that will make a difference for us is always the same: being able to off-load well when we get quick ball and in broken play. This has always been a strength of NZ teams.

This means being able to draw and pass for the ball carrier, and players supporting the ball carrier well. Even slow moving forwards make a huge difference when they know how to do this amongst themselves.

Too often we have a player make a break and they don't know what to do next, or passing too early (easy to defend) or too late (risky, drop balls).

Anyway, perhaps it's something that will just click into gear at some stage. Hopefully today.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I suspect that the key is the last phrase in regards to touching the ground ahead of turniver attempt'. If you look at the breakdown you will see the French regularly have at least one hand and sometimes two on the ground before or during securing of the ball. It is very obvious in the last turnover that gave the penalty to the French to be able to then kick the ball out and win the game. Doleman just failed to referee it. In Super Rugby the referees have usually been very hard on not allowing hands to touch the ground. What the French are doing allows them to get more secure over the ball and harder to clean out as a result.
Yep there’s that and also in Super you were never allowed to make a turnover with another player in the ruck. That has not been policed at all.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Very strong westerly winds tonight. :( We can expect the Froggies to kick the cover off the ball, and we can expect us to make lots of handling errors.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Very strong westerly winds tonight. :( We can expect the Froggies to kick the cover off the ball, and we can expect us to make lots of handling errors.

Speaking as a Brisbane born & bred rugby fan, I can say that the winter westerlies nearly always abate around sunset time. But it does make for colder weather, which is desirable for rugby anyway

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Ha! Might actually work for us. Based on the wild and whacky kicking in the pervious games, add wind to the speculator kicks and we might have the French dizzy and drooping pill.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If we can get a bit more space at the breakdown it augers well for Paisami and Ikitau. If they have a bit more space they could reek havoc