• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not too many suggesting Paisami/Ikitau but I was one of the few. MT quite clearly had little form to write home about in Super this year, and Paisami's form at 12 was always stronger than at 13.

All in all, a very poor strategic approach by the coaches/selectors.

Yes you were one of the few BR. As you know I have my thoughts on Paisami and what happens when To'omua comes on? I’m not convinced with Ikitau but certainly will get behind him. It was odd to leave him without time in game 1.

Wright I’m comfortable to see dropped. Not because he can’t get there, simply because he hasn’t. Banks on the other hand I’m warming to and don’t get the hate. Suddenly I’m not sure on Hodge at 23.

Can’t agree with your conclusion on selections. In particular the way that LoLo has been introduced and built up in the first two games I thought was excellent. There are a couple of selection calls that didn’t gel for me but I also don’t buy this “we’ve been shit” pessimism. I’m quite liking the look of this team in #3 and enthused with the short turn around and a return to Saturday tests.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes you were one of the few BR. As you know I have my thoughts on Paisami and what happens when To'omua comes on? I’m not convinced with Ikitau but certainly will get behind him. It was odd to leave him without time in game 1.

Wright I’m comfortable to see dropped. Not because he can’t get there, simply because he hasn’t. Banks on the other hand I’m warming to and don’t get the hate. Suddenly I’m not sure on Hodge at 23.

Can’t agree with your conclusion on selections. In particular the way that LoLo has been introduced and built up in the first two games I thought was excellent. There are a couple of selection calls that didn’t gel for me but I also don’t buy this “we’ve been shit” pessimism. I’m quite liking the look of this team in #3 and enthused with the short turn around and a return to Saturday tests.

I don't know if it's hate, he just hasn't stepped up at test level. He was much better on Tuesday but at the end of the day he's still just a hole runner, doesn't offer enough at this level IMO. Happy to see him improve again and he's definitely benefiting from a lack of alternatives.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Hopefully O'Keeffe can penalise the frogs for their technical mistakes they consistently make at the breakdown.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know if it's hate, he just hasn't stepped up at test level. He was much better on Tuesday but at the end of the day he's still just a hole runner, doesn't offer enough at this level IMO. Happy to see him improve again and he's definitely benefiting from a lack of alternatives.

Yes, that seems to be a common thought KOB. I like his kicking composure and no a couple of fluffs don’t overly concern me (don’t want repeats though). It’s weird that some rue the lack of hole runners in the centre’s (my interpretation of a big bopper) and others who want Petaia at the back who trends to run wide and we wish sometimes would hit the hole or take the tackle.

Sure, I don’t appear to be in the majority, but I am becoming quite hopeful for Banks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sure, I don’t appear to be in the majority, but I am becoming quite hopeful for Banks.

He's 27 and this will be his 14th test.

I don't think we have a ready replacement right now but I think when one comes along the position is well and truly up for grabs. I think Banks is at the level he's capable of and generally it's been average at best as far as test rugby is concerned.

I feel like Rennie is already investigating other options with talk of Petaia and we could potentially see Hodge finish the game there tomorrow.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A team full of units who have never played together = one out running, no defensive cohesion and a million errors

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is where comments from Rennie (I think it was) about Tupou needing to improve his conditioning etc. to take that next step to becoming one of the best props in the world and fulfilling his potential are relevant.

He's clearly capable of being the best THP in world rugby and to be at a point where there isn't even any consideration that you might use him for his impact because he's too good not to start.

Funny thing is - if you speak to the Reds blokes and Thorn, his conditioning isn't a factor at all, he's actually been clocking some amazing cardio times this season. He is destined to forever be a headlining act for the Fat Boi Club - but he's not unfit by any means.

He also regularly played 80mins week in week out at Super Level, which I understand is a level below, but even if you factor in a higher paced game etc, he should easily clear 65-70mins at International level and he's playing nowhere near that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I don't think we have a ready replacement right now but I think when one comes along the position is well and truly up for grabs. I think Banks is at the level he's capable of and generally it's been average at best as far as test rugby is concerned.

I feel like Rennie is already investigating other options with talk of Petaia and we could potentially see Hodge finish the game there tomorrow.

Wonder if Matt Burke could come out of retirement, still looks pretty fit in his news reporting.

Realistically there really aren't many alternatives right now besides Hodge, and i don't think he is a very good fullback.

Experiment:
Tom Wright
Jordan Petaia
Andrew Kellaway

Generation Next?
Mac Grealy
Byron Ralston

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I haven't rewatched the game, but I thought Banks was pretty good on Tuesday and seemed our only back capable of breaking the line. Hopefully that gives him a bit of confidence and he can build on that performance.

There's a world where he builds into a genuine test fullback - good under the high ball, great tactical kicker, can cut into the line and make breaks. I don't think he's really that far away from it, just needs to eliminate the odd error and learn to take his options a little better.

I'm not sure about Petaia at fullback, he's too error-prone at the moment. Hodge looms as the greater threat to Banks I think. A year ago I would have said Maddocks, but then the Waratahs happened.......

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A team full of units who have never played together = one out running, no defensive cohesion and a million errors
Last Tuesday or this coming Saturday?
With a 4 day turnaround changes had to be made. Daugunu and Swinton are the only changes in the starting side that have not played with the side recently. Surely they, Uelese and Hodge will blend in well enough.
Its really minimal change under the circumstances.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Funny thing is - if you speak to the Reds blokes and Thorn, his conditioning isn't a factor at all, he's actually been clocking some amazing cardio times this season. He is destined to forever be a headlining act for the Fat Boi Club - but he's not unfit by any means.

He also regularly played 80mins week in week out at Super Level, which I understand is a level below, but even if you factor in a higher paced game etc, he should easily clear 65-70mins at International level and he's playing nowhere near that.

He's already an excellent test player. I'm talking about him becoming a genuine world XV player which I think he is very capable of and not a long distance away from.

Essentially that extra bit of fitness and conditioning is going to let him play 60+ quality minutes of test rugby with the strong scrummaging and excellent running and ball play but also a good workrate of tackles and clean outs etc.

I'm holding him to a higher standard than pretty much anyone else because I think he's well and truly capable of it. As Reg said, he's a once in a generation player and we want to get the most out of him (and for him to get the most out of himself).

He is already a key Wallaby for the next two Rugby World Cups doing exactly what he's doing now but he could also be substantially more than that.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Last Tuesday or this coming Saturday?
With a 4 day turnaround changes had to be made. Daugunu and Swinton are the only changes in the starting side that have not played with the side recently. Surely they, Uelese and Hodge will blend in well enough.
Its really minimal change under the circumstances.

Both, this side has few players that know where the other will be under stress, they haven't played together enough to have that understanding

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I haven't rewatched the game, but I thought Banks was pretty good on Tuesday and seemed our only back capable of breaking the line. Hopefully that gives him a bit of confidence and he can build on that performance.

There's a world where he builds into a genuine test fullback - good under the high ball, great tactical kicker, can cut into the line and make breaks. I don't think he's really that far away from it, just needs to eliminate the odd error and learn to take his options a little better.

I'm not sure about Petaia at fullback, he's too error-prone at the moment. Hodge looms as the greater threat to Banks I think. A year ago I would have said Maddocks, but then the Waratahs happened...

Sorry but he's light-years away from being a great tactical kicker.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Banks is good under the high ball, has a long kick and runs good lines, but i don't think Banks is a good tactical kicker or a good playmaker though. Look at the All Blacks, Damien McKenzie does a hell of a lot of playmaking from the back and one of the reasons they're so potent in counter attack.

Honestly i think Banks would be a good winger at test level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In my wild erratic fancies I see men in Gold running up the back of a "slow to move away" French player.
That would stop them loitering at the feet of our half back.

Yeah some easy to milk penalty opportunities there i woulda thought. I think Gordon missed a trick with that a bit, someone like Smith would've been screaming bloody murder and flinging balls into the heads of French defenders left and right.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Both, this side has few players that know where the other will be under stress, they haven't played together enough to have that understanding
They should get better with each outing. Missing experience in the backs. Might be a good thing?