• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I like that 23. On currently selectable players I don't think there is much / anything I would change. Hoping Lolesio & Banks continue to grow into their roles.

Hodge will be underdone but has played plenty of intl rugby before so hopefully will be fine.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Im surprised Kellaway didn't get the start. While I was surprised by his initial selection he acquitted himself well in limited game time. Added also he would have provided a more balanced back three. There isn't much variety once he ball gets outside Paisami.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From Nathan Williamson:
Bit of an @Wallabies injury update coming out of Rennie presser
JOC (James O'Connor) - tweaked groin Tuesday, hopeful for AB's
Petaia - fully fit but underdone, returning via clubland
Vunvalu - Aiming for end of AB's
Kaitu'u - calf
Mcinerney - KO at training
Koroibete - clear
Mafi - TRC

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see Tate get the start, a Paisami - Ikitau centre pairing and Daugunu on the wing

Would have preferred to have seen them together for Test No 2 so that any issues/problems could have been ironed out before the decider. Anyway, that is the backline I've been calling for except for Wright having been dropped. I am more than interested in watching how they go, but first run together in a deciding test is a big ask.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty decent team, by no means our B team. Sad that Leota, Wells or Pone didn’t get a shot but them’s the breaks.

I would have been comfortable with Rob Leota coming in for Valetini, but Swinton doesn't do it for me. Perhaps he will surprise.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's nice to have the depth to make eight changes and the team could arguably be better.

Interesting that To'omua was benched, he's a bit older and fragile but I can't help thinking that's more tactical than attritional. Likewise Daugunu for Wright.

Thought provoking isn't it Barbs. If the first test was the best team in the opinion of the coaching team, and they elected to stick with it for the second test, and then with 8 changes we are now saying the third test team might be our strongest, what does that say about their abilities to make accurate assessments about the available players? Or have they had a collective change of mind in the meantime.

Quite simply, imo, some of these changes should have been made for the second test. Egos getting in the way, I think.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thought provoking isn't it Barbs. If the first test was the best team in the opinion of the coaching team, and they elected to stick with it for the second test, and then with 8 changes we are now saying the third test team might be our strongest, what does that say about their abilities to make accurate assessments about the available players? Or have they had a collective change of mind in the meantime.

Quite simply, imo, some of these changes should have been made for the second test. Egos getting in the way, I think.

I'd say it's more likely that the coaches are better at assessing the ability of the players than us. The only change that should have been made, argubaly, is McDermott for Gordon. I'm going to reserve judgment on that call until after we see how McDermott goes starting.

I don't think it's a clear upgrade myself. I don't think Naisarani, Swain or Swinton are our best options for example.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
From Nathan Williamson:
Bit of an @Wallabies injury update coming out of Rennie presser
JOC (James O'Connor) - tweaked groin Tuesday, hopeful for AB's
Petaia - fully fit but underdone, returning via clubland
Vunvalu - Aiming for end of AB's
Kaitu'u - calf
Mcinerney - KO at training
Koroibete - clear
Mafi - TRC

Read somewhere White is aiming for Canberra game, and Sio has done a hammy aiming to get back in the squad before RC

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree, Tate for Gordon was about the only change would have made after one test, even he was switch a second shot though.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

The coaching team (probably more capable and astute than us desktop battlers) selected their best team based on a combination of form, previous experience and intuition at that point in time.

What you're suggesting is purely based on the benefit of hindsight - no one prior to the first test was screaming for a Paisami/ Ikitau centre combination or Daugunu over Wright; these weren't clear-cut decisions.

There's hypocrisy in claiming it's a big ask for a new back line in a deciding test, but not applying the same logic to the first test and claiming there should have been mass changes for Game 2; I would have thought that the first test against the French was an equally big ask for that new back line.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tate was very noisy about the team needing to start faster. Now he has his chance, and he has raised the bar himself. Shake em up Tate.
Pretty funny how he was getting stuck into the pigs for being shit at the breakdown. Not sure how I'd take that being a forward (no risk of that ever happening though).

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s a very young and quite inexperienced backline. They will need to hold it together when put under pressure but it looks an exciting mix.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I assume Wilson is being rested………

It seems clear that with the short turnaround they’ve made as many changes where they possibly can.
Still .. selections need to be managed around better performance in the Super Rugby combinations. Cleary Wilson and McDermott being a key combination, particularly in the question over our breakdown over the past two games.