• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I actually think it been moved to 3 phases or last set piece UTG, not sure where I read it, but seems the 2 phase has gone. Actually his decision was was perhaps wrong because after he dropped at (which I was n't real sure was forward) Paisami then fell on ball and played it on ground, so maybe should of been penalty.
Ah ok, it was just that BOK said they checked and it was within two phases and it looked to be 3.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Every still photograph and video replay show the French no8's knees bent at the moment of impact. That is, he lowered himself into the contact zone.
His head snaps forward with whiplash not backwards which would have occurred had there been contact with the head.
Yet still the 4 munchkins say "no mitigation".
Stupid, stupid people.

Are you suggesting that a player ever goes into contact with straight knees?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Every still photograph and video replay show the French no8's knees bent at the moment of impact. That is, he lowered himself into the contact zone.
His head snaps forward with whiplash not backwards which would have occurred had there been contact with the head.
Yet still the 4 munchkins say "no mitigation".
Stupid, stupid people.
NO ONE ever goes into contact totally upright.

Its not like he dipped and had his head at 1/2 his height.

your head doesn’t snap forward initially, the hint is in the name whiplash……

This is the new normal, get used to it.

there’s definitely an argument, it wasn’t clear about direct contact, maybe go with that.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
If the TMO and O'Keefe were that intent on ensuring player welfare, why was the French try with their No. 9 leading with his forearm to Tate's head not pulled back?

Looks near identical to Kerevi's 3? match ban in the World Cup.

I was at the game so recorded it digitally at home. Went through some of the more controversial bits frame by frame this morning.
The contact with Tate was initially upper chest then slid up to neck/head. I didn’t think there was an issue with it.
The MK contact was a bit tricky - some angles looked like initial contact was shoulder and others head.
What is unequivocal is that the French No8 dropped his body height significantly as he braced for contact.
So it should have been a yellow with mitigating circumstances. If the Frenchman had stayed at the same height as when MK lined him up there would have been no head contact. Look at the French head height compared to the red chair behind, all from the same camera angle
994BDFA0-3440-48B7-9E76-359C4B97243C.jpeg
FD16881E-43C6-4AA4-8D24-374D956B3C87.jpeg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So if I’m not mistake the following players played 240mins of test rugby in 11 days:
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Hooper
- Paisami
- Lolesio

Some good new players and reaffirmation of super staff to watch came out of this series.

• Tupou just reinforced he is world class with Bell not far behind him (thought Bell improved this series)
  • Noah finally came of age and improved with every test and now deserves his place if JOC (James O'Connor) injured
  • Hodge yet again shows the real utility value he brings to cover so many positions in the backline (automatic spot for the bench for me for every game)
  • Swain is a super star in the making and definite starter
  • Iis finally proved the real deal and sad to see him go just as he is finally showing the value many saw some years ago
  • MK yet again proved what a big miss he will be
  • Hooper has come back better after Japan jaunt as his captaincy and work at the breakdown was superb and last year would have never thought I would be saying those 2 things in the same conversation
  • Valetini good - but prefer from the bench...
  • Tate must be close to being behind White on the bench as lot to like what he offered for his first start for a while
Then there is other positives:
  • LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) consistent as been for a long while for wallabies
  • Paisami solid - still not sure whether 12 or 13 his best position but nice problem
  • Banks improving - hopefully improvement continues as not expelled all doubts about him as out 15 but equally stopped the push for him to be dropped from starting 15

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I think we can put the Tate and Jake debate to bed for once and all, Tate is well ahead after the 3 games and will provide excellent back up to White when he comes back from injury . I would have him and The Thor coming on with 25-30 to go to create havoc

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Game rated 691,000 when you include the regionals. That is easily the best TV ratings for a wallabies game since the 2011 World Cup based off my odd knowledge of ratings. It goes to show the key is exposing the game to casual viewers on either 7 or 9 - 10’s market share is toilet tier.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Can I also take an egregious double post to point out that some league fans are getting itchy. It feels like years since we’ve heard the constant agitated talk of rah rah and leather patches and rugby yawnion. They’ve come out of their lairs and I think it’s because we’ve actually beaten them a few times this year. The NRL is trapped with constant enormous blowouts that are destroying tension in the game but the 6 again rule is unlikely to be revoked. Origin was also a non event and QLD got carparked in the two games. Here’s an opportunity for the wallabies to win back some of the public.

For the record I actually quite enjoy rugby league too, just find the dribble from their fan base about RU annoying

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t see how White is untouchable. White might have a better kick and pass (although I though Tate’s kicking last night was good except that one we kicked in attack in the second half). But Tate’s running game and defence do need to come into consideration at some point and his passing is fine right to left but just a bit ropey still left to right. Certainly I thought any shortcomings were well and truly mitigated by the strengths of McDermott’s running game and the way he could interchange with his forwards. He has produced all 3 games and if we talk about rewarding form there must be some thought of giving him another crack starting.

Credit to White - he is a more consistent option these days the he used to be, but IMO he isn’t really likely to give you more than a 8/10 at his best and still often falls short of that.

Edit: for the record I feel like the ongoing improvement of Lolesio is putting similiar pressure on JOCs standing as a walk up starter if fit.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Game rated 691,000 when you include the regionals. That is easily the best TV ratings for a wallabies game since the 2011 World Cup based off my odd knowledge of ratings. It goes to show the key is exposing the game to casual viewers on either 7 or 9 - 10’s market share is toilet tier.
Probably got a bit to do with lockdown in two of the biggest cities with not a lot else to do, and a closely contested series with a decider.
I think a lot of casual fans can’t be bothered watching another drubbing by the ABs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can I also take an egregious double post to point out that some league fans are getting itchy. It feels like years since we’ve heard the constant agitated talk of rah rah and leather patches and rugby yawnion. They’ve come out of their lairs and I think it’s because we’ve actually beaten them a few times this year. The NRL is trapped with constant enormous blowouts that are destroying tension in the game but the 6 again rule is unlikely to be revoked. Origin was also a non event and QLD got carparked in the two games. Here’s an opportunity for the wallabies to win back some of the public.

For the record I actually quite enjoy rugby league too, just find the dribble from their fan base about RU annoying
Interesting point. Because I coach in the local comp I often get interviewed by the local radio sports panel, which includes 2 former NRL players. They love to have a crack at rugby, as do a couple of my other mates. When I ask them all why they feel so threatened it is funny some of the responses I get. For all the talk of the rugby faithful looking down their nose at league, in my experience it is as least as bad the other way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t see how White is untouchable. White might have a better kick and pass (although I though Tate’s kicking last night was good except that one we kicked in attack in the second half). But Tate’s running game and defence do need to come into consideration at some point and his passing is fine right to left but just a bit ropey still left to right. Certainly I thought any shortcomings were well and truly mitigated by the strengths of McDermott’s running game and the way he could interchange with his forwards. He has produced all 3 games and if we talk about rewarding form there must be some thought of giving him another crack starting.

Credit to White - he is a more consistent option these days the he used to be, but IMO he isn’t really likely to give you more than a 8/10 at his best and still often falls short of that.

Edit: for the record I feel like the ongoing improvement of Lolesio is putting similiar pressure on JOCs standing as a walk up starter if fit.

I think White is also better than Tate on the other side of the ball. He's a complete menace, which is what you want from a test 9. That said, if Tate keeps performing as he did i won't have any issues if he keeps the spot.

Reactions: mst