• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
some of tate's passing from the bottom of the ruck was shitter than phipps, which is saying something.

and foley made 2 tackles?

has hell frozen over and a wobs win is on the cards?

Tate's long passing early on was beautiful, but then he just got worse and worse. His short passing was high and players catching it were immediately flat footed and high body height.

When White came on there was an immediate difference.

It's such a shame because Tate was actually still very good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley isn’t comparable to Banks at all, firstly Foley has experience - Banks does not. Foley is the best goal kicker, bit of a stretch to say Lolesio is just as good if not better, what are the actual %? Plus, most importantly, Foley has shown to kick under pressure.
With Quade’s injuries he’s the most likely 10 at the RWC next year, Banks is up against 5 or so candidates.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Do we also expect Skelton to start after two training sessions with the team? Seems foolish to me.

I agree, seems hard. But maybe previous time with the squad last year, and some homework means he's already up to speed. It would be nice if he can get one the field verse the French given his experience and knowledge of them.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Potential Team this weekend

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - Ala'alatoa
4 - Frost
5 - Neville
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Foley
11 - Wright
12 - Foketi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Banks

16 - Fainga'a
17 - Gibbon
18 - Topou
19 - Skelton
20 - Samu
21 - McDermott
22 - Lolesio
23 - Hodge

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foley isn’t comparable to Banks at all, firstly Foley has experience - Banks does not. Foley is the best goal kicker, bit of a stretch to say Lolesio is just as good if not better, what are the actual %? Plus, most importantly, Foley has shown to kick under pressure.
With Quade’s injuries he’s the most likely 10 at the RWC next year, Banks is up against 5 or so candidates.

Noah won the French series (i think) by kicking a last minute penalty. Plus kicked well against England. He surely has proven he can kick under pressure numerous times now. In fact I think this is his best attribute. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say he's on par with Foley (or better).

In terms of game management then Foley is better by far. Kicking no.

With the way Foley currently is playing, I don't see him as the most likely 10 at RWC.

If Foley is currently playing at a level of 7/10, then Noah is at 6/10. It's a bee's d**k difference IMO.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I agree on Banks. Although it's only been one game back from injury, maybe worth one final chance.

I feel the same about Foley. What's the point in selecting him. He is far from demanding selection and he is taking up an overseas spot. His goal kicking was about the only good thing, but Noah's goal kicking is just as good or better, and he has more chance of improving/developing. Or give Donaldson some game-time.
I thought he played in at least two of the Australia A games though?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Id be ditching all three of McDermott, Foley and Paisami in favour of White, Lolesio, Foketi.

Wont happen though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd like to know who these 5 candidates for No 15 are. Kellaway and Hodge are only two who spring to mind. Petaia is a poor option with very little actual playing time at 15 and is still somewhat inferior to Wright. Wright himself is not anywhere near as good as Banks. Is Maddocks suddenly back in people's minds? Remembering that he went overseas with just about universal applause from posters here.

I don't know if Banks is carrying some sort of leg/foot injury but there must be a reason he wasn't taking the penalty kicks for line against Scotland. I reckon it will either be Banks or Kellaway at 15 for the French test, with Hodge probably reinstated to the bench, but no other of the mystical five extras to get a look in.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd like to know who these 5 candidates for No 15 are. Kellaway and Hodge are only two who spring to mind. Petaia is a poor option with very little actual playing time at 15 and is still somewhat inferior to Wright. Wright himself is not anywhere near as good as Banks. Is Maddocks suddenly back in people's minds? Remembering that he went overseas with just about universal applause from posters here.

I don't know if Banks is carrying some sort of leg/foot injury but there must be a reason he wasn't taking the penalty kicks for line against Scotland. I reckon it will either be Banks or Kellaway at 15 for the French test, with Hodge probably reinstated to the bench, but no other of the mystical five extras to get a look in.
Your favourite player, Beale. You also forgot the guy who replaced Banks - Campbell.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Campbell looked much better for Aus A. Still have some reservations but I Banks isn't playing so well that we can't afford to give him a go to see how he steps up.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah and also, Foley has had good games, great games even. Banks has had neither.

Yeh i see your point on Banks. Foley it just starting to worry me.

Foley had a great game against the AB's on his return, despite the non-kick error that pretty much cost us the game. If he could have continued this form then I'd be with you. He would easily be first choice.

But his last good game before that was RWC15 against England. Not exactly a great track record.

Compared to Noah who played a good game against England this year in Test 1. Probably better then anything Foley did beside the AB's game - but even then it might depend on how you view the last non-kick to touch incident. Not sayin that Noah has done a great deal either, both Foley and Noah haven't done a great deal to be fair.

The problem I have with Foley, is that is just seems like he is back to the same old Foley that tends to make at least a couple of errors each game which could or could not end up being costly. This match he kicked the ball out on the full and his kick to touch which bounced before going out was poor.

I pray Cooper makes a full recovery. Otherwise I would just give the younger guy with more potential a crack (Donaldson or Noah).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Still not sure what to think about the last game and our chances. Kinghorn's kick goes over, we go down to an understrength Scotland and only score one try, dismal. Foley kicks out properly in Melbourne, we get one against NZ. Smith doesn't get the bungled intercept in Game III of England series and Australia clinch an iconic three match series against the old enemy and Rennie is back on track.

Fuck it, take victories when we can. Need to inject something more into our backline, genuinely tempting to put Nawaqanitawase in over Kellaway or Wright. We need some bigger bodies. That backline would've been one of the smallest we've had ever.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a fan of Noah but I just think if you look at the past RWC winners they've all had 10s who were older and more experienced than him. I think our best chance of success next year is either with Foley or Quade.

I think it should be noted that in the 2019 u20s side, Lolesio only played 12; the 10s ahead of him were Donaldson and Harrison. His professional development at 10 ahead of the others is mainly down to being at the Brumbies, arriving in a better coached, more settled and overall better team than Donaldson and Harrison had to develop under (injuries too of course). It's quite possible either have better long-term 10 skills than Lolesio.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Still not sure what to think about the last game and our chances. Kinghorn's kick goes over, we go down to an understrength Scotland and only score one try, dismal.

But, it's not like the Wallaby side we put out was full strength either?

Hell, go back to last years EOYT and there was a bunch of inconsistencies that if went our way would have meant a win against Scotland and Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.