• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Most of the changes I'd be making are in the backs. White to start with McDermott on the bench, Foketi in at 12 with Paisami out of the side, Hodge in at 22 with Lolesio out and maybe Petaia in at 23 with Campbell out. McDermott, Lolesio, Paisami, Petaia and Campbell along with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) to all start against Italy. Samu to also come onto the bench for Gleeson, assuming his back is all good.

As much as I'd love to let Skelton rip in it might be too early, but then again what do I know, I'm just a guy procrastinating on a rugby forum.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree on Banks. Although it's only been one game back from injury, maybe worth one final chance.

I feel the same about Foley. What's the point in selecting him. He is far from demanding selection and he is taking up an overseas spot. His goal kicking was about the only good thing, but Noah's goal kicking is just as good or better, and he has more chance of improving/developing. Or give Donaldson some game-time.
I'd start Banks for this game, only because I dont think its fair on Campbell to come in against the French, he can start next week against Italy then start against Ireland and Wales.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Against France, I think we might have to fight fire with fire. Go with the more explosive players, those who might do something different to upset the emotional French. Save the more staid, dependable players for the bench just in case we have to protect a lead at the end.

I don't think there's a chance in Hell of seeing it, but this would be my team for the test:

Slipper
Fainga'a
Tupou
Frost
Skelton
Holloway
Samu
Valetini
McDermott
Lolesio
Wright
Foketi
Ikitau
Nawaqanitawase
Kellaway

Porecki
Gibbon
Ala'alatoa
Neville
Hanigan
White
Foley
Hodge

Just a bit off topic, but hasn't Gibbon come on in leaps and bounds. No slouch, he puts in the hard yards the whole time he's on the park. And his scrummaging looks to be more than average as well. Our scrum doesn't seem to go to pieces when he comes on. Meat and potatoes type of player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought that comment might trigger a Tah fan or two.

Foley hasn't played for the Tahs for more than three years.

The one thing that seems pretty clear is that Rennie has lost a fair bit of faith in Lolesio as his starter and is trying to work out another option.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I love that people still reduce national teams to stereotypes from a generation ago, like the French are super emotional or the only people who can beat the French are the French. Ntamack and Dupont are famous for being ice cold, incredibly unemotional players. They did a clean sweep of the 6N this year, only being challenged once, by Wales away in Cardiff.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Against France, I think we might have to fight fire with fire. Go with the more explosive players, those who might do something different to upset the emotional French. Save the more staid, dependable players for the bench just in case we have to protect a lead at the end.

I don't think there's a chance in Hell of seeing it, but this would be my team for the test:

Slipper
Fainga'a
Tupou
Frost
Skelton
Holloway
Samu
Valetini
McDermott
Lolesio
Wright
Foketi
Ikitau
Nawaqanitawase
Kellaway

Porecki
Gibbon
Ala'alatoa
Neville
Hanigan
White
Foley
Hodge

Just a bit off topic, but hasn't Gibbon come on in leaps and bounds. No slouch, he puts in the hard yards the whole time he's on the park. And his scrummaging looks to be more than average as well. Our scrum doesn't seem to go to pieces when he comes on. Meat and potatoes type of player.

I like it. Mostly. Differences are predictable. Drop Lolo and Foley starts. Add Neville to the bench. It might be too early for Nawaqanitawase, though he is definitely due. I remain unconvinced by Wright though he was fine last outing.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foley hasn't played for the Tahs for more than three years.

The one thing that seems pretty clear is that Rennie has lost a fair bit of faith in Lolesio as his starter and is trying to work out another option.

And rightly so. Lolesio has had his chances and never cemented them.

But now so has Foley, or close to it after another game. I would expect Rennie to start losing faith in him pretty damn soon.

I'm not actually saying one is better then the other, well actually I am, I think Foley is slightly better, but Lolesio a better upside, both need to improve but surprisingly, despite the experience difference I think Lolesio would be the less risky option come RWC because he is likely to make less errors (but less likely to create opportunities). It's a tough one.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Slipper
Fainga'a
Tupou
Frost
Skelton
Holloway
Samu
Valetini
McDermott
Lolesio
Wright
Foketi
Ikitau
Nawaqanitawase
Kellaway

Porecki
Gibbon
Ala'alatoa
Neville
Hanigan
White
Foley
Hodge

This would be my 15, outstanding selections, Rennie ought to heed your advice.

I applaud your emphasis on size and physicality, which is just so imperative at test level....

(Hodge/Kellaway > Campbell, Nawaqanitawase over Banks, Foketi over Paisami, McDermott over White, that second-row pairing of Skelton & Frost - both 2metre/120kg+ locks, Holloway over Hanigan, Samu over Hooper, etc..)

Fighting fire with fire, a good approach to try and mitigate the French forwards.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I love that people still reduce national teams to stereotypes from a generation ago, like the French are super emotional or the only people who can beat the French are the French. Ntamack and Dupont are famous for being ice cold, incredibly unemotional players. They did a clean sweep of the 6N this year, only being challenged once, by Wales away in Cardiff.

to be fair a lot of the stereotypes of previous French sides has been pretty accurate and I say that as a lifelong fan of French footy. They have been prone to brain explosions in the past. That said this team is special and probably the best of theirs I’ve seen.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wish our wobblies were like a generation ago

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Thoughts on if Kellaway played full back? Watched the match against Scotland and he really wasn't all that great on the wing.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Did Banks really play badly enough to get dropped? He wasn't prominent but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible performance.

I just don't think there are better alternatives available - Banks might not be world class but he's looked better than his competitors at Super Rugby and Australia A for years.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Did Banks really play badly enough to get dropped? He wasn't prominent but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible performance.

I just don't think there are better alternatives available - Banks might not be world class but he's looked better than his competitors at Super Rugby and Australia A for years.
Banks has the same problem as Foley - he's not just playing against the other players in his position, he's playing against Kerevi, Koribete, Cooper and any other potential international picks. If he's not showing that he's in the top 3 foreign players than the question has to be asked if we're better off putting time into the alternatives, all of whom could use time in the position at test level to settle into it.

That said I think they might hold off on those changes until the Italy game, both to ease the less experienced options in and to give Foley and Banks the best chance to show what they've got.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m reasonably confident next year we’ll be allowed to pick as many overseas as possible. They wouldn’t announce it now for obvious reasons.

On Banks, no he hasn’t played a poor game, but he hasn’t played a good one either. He’s the definition of an average/mediocre Test player. Time to move on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't expect many unforced changes for this game. Rennie needs to get his win % up, I reckon he will look to keep riding this team and hope for another win, even if it was a bit lucky.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree on Banks. Although it's only been one game back from injury, maybe worth one final chance.

I feel the same about Foley. What's the point in selecting him. He is far from demanding selection and he is taking up an overseas spot. His goal kicking was about the only good thing, but Noah's goal kicking is just as good or better, and he has more chance of improving/developing. Or give Donaldson some game-time.
Agree Viking but Rennie is under the pump and coaches in that situation grab for a straw assuming there is more to it, whilst drowning. He should be more structured, logical and look to the future. Some youngsters stand up and some remain children for a long time. A few old players ie Cooper, still have it but most don't. The problem is being able to ID talent that could stand up and then betting on them

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd start Banks for this game, only because I dont think its fair on Campbell to come in against the French, he can start next week against Italy then start against Ireland and Wales.
NO! if he is the better 15 let him start. We need to bring something better to this French game and speed and balls are going to be critical and Campbell has plenty of both. Banks has shown little so far also prior to the injury.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
NO! if he is the better 15 let him start. We need to bring something better to this French game and speed and balls are going to be critical and Campbell has plenty of both. Banks has shown little so far also prior to the injury.

I'm all for giving Campbell game time as Banks is leaving, but I'd say Banks is quicker than Campbell, and no one can question his ball's he literally throws himself into danger even after he broke his arm once and broke it again...

I also think you're setting Campbell up to fail if he goes into the French game as his first start, so no he would come off the bench again for me start against Italy and play the remaining games (if he shows his up to it).

Status
Not open for further replies.