• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would be worried about Skelton starting after a few training sessions. Get him off the bench at the same time as Tupou, at HT or bit into 2nd half. A 2nd row of Skelton/Frost is a complementary match.

I also don't expect Frost to maintain his form, it's his first season and a long one. Difficult to dish out quality as a rookie. Our forward pack went surprisingly well for having I think 4 starters in their first season of test rugby and a further two freshies on the bench.
Frost seems to be a fairly smart bloke, consummate professional and exceptional athlete. Think he'll continue going from strength to strength.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would be worried about Skelton starting after a few training sessions.
I disagree, this is the reality of choosing overseas players.

A bit of, "if not now, when?"

If players from Europe can only start 2 games in the Spring tour you'd have to question if it's worth selecting them in the squad at all.

Italy should be dispatched with or without Skelton, so really it would be much ado about one game.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
BPA is our best hooker, will be interesting to see how Latu goes this season.
I would like to see Wright replaced by Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) assuming he continues to improve over the next 2-3 out of 4 games he gets a run in.

We must stabilise our RWC squad as soon as possible. The limited number of games left demands it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Italy should be dispatched with or without Skelton, so really it would be much ado about one game.

They should be, but given the Wallabies track record of playing to the level of their opposition I wouldn't be surprised to see a close loss this weekend, followed by another last minute win against Italy...

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I reckon Italy will be preparing for that game like mad hoping for an upset as they did against South Africa in 2016. I would still pencil that game in for Skelton though just to see what he can do.

Very much not in favour of parachuting in players for the first time in a year against the number one test nation. It's not realistic to expect they can fit in to the structures.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Skelton has to start the three tests. He had the brief period with the squad last year on this tour but wasn't overly effective in limited minutes off the bench.

This time around Rennie needs to get a proper understanding of whether he's in the frame for the RWC.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think Skelton has to start the three tests. He had the brief period with the squad last year on this tour but wasn't overly effective in limited minutes off the bench.

This time around Rennie needs to get a proper understanding of whether he's in the frame for the RWC.
I agree, and he's mentioned in the press that Rennie had been focusing on this tour, more than last year, to define his role in the Wallabies. He needs as much time as possible to do that.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
IMO you have to start Skeleton. There are only so many games to use him and they need to see what he offers. For RWC they need some players with X factor and Skeleton is one of them along with Koriobete, Kerevi, Valentini and Tupou.

If he can play as well as he's shown in Europe (fairly big if, but possible) that's a massive addition.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, Skelton has to start and settle the question of whether he can work in Rennie's system. For most locks it's not really a question, but he's a different beast and doesn't conform to the normal expectations of that position (in the line out anyway).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Assume then Frost starts with Skeldaddy. Frost took 10/15 of the throws and got two steals. Holloway a must at 6 as well. Only really two lineout options then going up against 5 good lineout jumpers in the French pack will be interesting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely we don't put both Samu and Gleeson on the bench? Neville replaces Hanigan and Samu replaces Gleeson.

If we go 6:2 then you have to pick Hodge at 23. If we did that I'd strongly consider the bench forwards being Neville, Hanigan and Samu with the intention that you're replacing both locks not two backrowers.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tate's long passing early on was beautiful, but then he just got worse and worse. His short passing was high and players catching it were immediately flat footed and high body height.

When White came on there was an immediate difference.

It's such a shame because Tate was actually still very good.
I think we start White and bring on Tate at the back of the game to change the pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.