• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know I'm getting ahead but what do we think we're looking at v Italy?

1. Gibbon
2. Fainga'a
3. Talakai
4. Skelton
5. Swain
6. Hanigan
7. McReight
8. Gleeson/Samu
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Petaia
14. Campbell
15. Hodge

16. Lonergan
17. Robertson
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Samu/Gleeson
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Kellaway

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

1. Gibbon
2. Fainga'a
3. Talakai
4. Skelton
5. Swain
6. Hanigan
7. McReight
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Petaia
14. Campbell
15. Hodge

16. Lonergan
17. Robertson
18. Tupou
19. Neville/Frost
20. Samu/Hooper
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Kellaway/Banks
Bit nervous to run out with a complete B side.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah it's risky but necessary imo - I'd rather we lost to Italy with a B side than lost to Wales with a full strength side.

Slipper, Porecki, Ala'alatoa, Holloway, Valetini, Ikitau all need rests / a break from 5 Tests in a row. Plus Frost played huge mins lately with Aus A and now these Tests.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Agreed...

Valetini could do with a rest as I believe he's the only player to start every test this year.

Definitely start Lolesio* and add Donaldson to the bench.

And maybe just a couple of changes where we want to look at possibilities - maybe Campbell and/or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)?

*I can't remember - is Foley unavailable for the Welsh test? If so it would be important to start Lolesio against Italy.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Valetini could do with a rest as I believe he's the only player to start every test this year.
I thought there would be more Valetini chat this week - in my eyes, his decision making was pretty average at times and he looked a bit out of sync with those around him (e.g. his pop pass to Tate off the deck). He's had a strong season, but as you said, due a rest.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought there would be more Valetini chat this week - in my eyes, his decision making was pretty average at times and he looked a bit out of sync with those around him (e.g. his pop pass to Tate off the deck). He's had a strong season, but as you said, due a rest.
I think our backrow was pretty disjointed as a unit. I liked what Holloway did solo but yeah, we were solidly outplayed by the Scots there.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting that McDermott featured in some MOTM voting here but the overall consensus seems more on the side of starting White ahead of him against France.

I certainly lean on the latter side and think that outside of the early break he made, he had a pretty poor game.

My take is that he's likely to get a few chances on this tour to determine where he sits moving forward but could easily fall back down to third choice again. There's some clear deficiencies in his game that I think Rennie holds pretty front of mind.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would like to see Tate start again against France as he's one player who is capable of threatening the defensive line close to the ruck with his snipes. His passing game really went off late in the game but maybe Nic White needs to come on a bit earlier off the bench. Overall, I would not say he had a poor game. I would not like to see Tate fall back the 3rd No 9 as the other two have somewhat similar games. Tate has the difference.

I reckon Andrew Kellaway had a poor game as he was significantly below his usual standard. I will get lynched here, but I reckon Hooper also had a poor game, not just because he is usually better, but because he hardly showed up in action at the breakdown, and when he was there he wasn't overly effective. Watson had a much superior No 7 game for the Scots. Porecki is another like Hooper who has not enough physical presence for his role.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would like to see Tate start again against France as he's one player who is capable of threatening the defensive line close to the ruck with his snipes. His passing game really went off late in the game but maybe Nic White needs to come on a bit earlier off the bench. Overall, I would not say he had a poor game. I would not like to see Tate fall back the 3rd No 9 as the other two have somewhat similar games. Tate has the difference.

I reckon Andrew Kellaway had a poor game as he was significantly below his usual standard. I will get lynched here, but I reckon Hooper also had a poor game, not just because he is usually better, but because he hardly showed up in action at the breakdown, and when he was there he wasn't overly effective. Watson had a much superior No 7 game for the Scots. Porecki is another like Hooper who has not enough physical presence for his role.
Samu has very little over the ball game and McReight is about the same size as Hoops (maybe even smaller?).

Who are you suggesting we pick?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yet in the stats Hooper is credited with one turnover won and Watson with none.

Both teams lost 4 breakdowns on their own ball. Scotland's breakdown success was slightly higher because they had more rucks in possession. Neither side really had good clean ball through the game.

I don't think Hooper was amazing but he was pretty good, particularly for someone who hasn't played for over three months.

Watson had a good game for Scotland as well. Overall he probably did have a better game than Hooper in that he could have been Scotland's best player. They're not really directly playing against each other though. One 7 playing well doesn't mean the other 7 must have had a poor game. That concept seems far more relevant for players 11-14 and 1 vs 3 and 3 vs 1.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

1. Gibbon
2. Fainga'a
3. Talakai
4. Skelton
5. Swain
6. Hanigan
7. McReight
8. Gleeson/Samu
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Petaia
14. Campbell
15. Hodge

16. Lonergan
17. Robertson
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Samu/Gleeson
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Kellaway
10. Lolesio 22. Donaldson, if your going to have Lolesio as your backup on the bench, he has to start at some point, so he gets Itay and then Wales and Donaldson can play of the bench

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Both teams lost 4 breakdowns on their own ball. Scotland's breakdown success was slightly higher because they had more rucks in possession. Neither side really had good clean ball through the game.

I don't think Hooper was amazing but he was pretty good, particularly for someone who hasn't played for over three months.

Watson had a good game for Scotland as well. Overall he probably did have a better game than Hooper in that he could have been Scotland's best player. They're not really directly playing against each other though. One 7 playing well doesn't mean the other 7 must have had a poor game. That concept seems far more relevant for players 11-14 and 1 vs 3 and 3 vs 1.
Stats don't really describe how messy the ball was though. Maybe four official turnovers but there were heaps of shit passes/runs because of tough ruck ball.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What use is Lolesio starting against Italy? We know what we have with him, Donaldson needs a chance before the RWC to show if he can overtake him. Won't find that out off the bench.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

BH, I think the difference was in the BD ball speed, ours was slowed by the scots almost every time and their ball was quick and distributed better.
I didn't expect too much from Hooper's first game back. He will be up for this top-level contest. Don't care whether McRight or Samu is on the bench but we need to bench Hooper early in the 2nd half as I suspect he will go flat out this week.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
10. Lolesio 22. Donaldson, if your going to have Lolesio as your backup on the bench, he has to start at some point, so he gets Itay and then Wales and Donaldson can play of the bench
Yep, if Noah is playing Vs Wales he has to start the week before and I'd argue also against France.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.