• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Assuming Tate's head knock may be a contributing factor? We are so light on front rowers.... seeing Gibbon and Robertson as our reserves doesn't fill me with any confidence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson is an example of a prop who would have suited test rugby 10 years ago, reality is the demands/expectations of a test prop these days are much more dynamic then just a potplant who anchors the scrum. Wallabies vs England highlighted this; Ellis Genge not only held his own in the scrum against the Wallabies but was a massive influence around the ground. Robertson and Gibbon aren‘t that.

Angus Bell and Tupou(before this season) are the two Aussie props who offer the most around the ground, but need to iron out the kinks in their scrummaging still.
Against the massive French pack, being able hold the scrum together will be his main priority, then work hard as a pillar in defence, then do a few 1m flops in attack

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Against the massive French pack, being able hold the scrum together will be his main priority, then work hard as a pillar in defence, then do a few 1m flops in attack
That’s a simplistic take. Don’t confuse the need to offer more around the ground as been at the expense of their core scrummaging skillsets.

I get people have their fans favourites, but the level of dynamic play props from other nations are offering around the ground, whilst also doing their core job of holding a scrum is well beyond Gibbon and Robertson.

Last edited:
Reactions: gel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a little nervous about Robertson lining up at THP agains France, but hopefully he proves me wrong...

I'm keen to see how Campbell goes...

I've had my doubts about him as a test player, and I guess the selectors have as well, but he's such a broken field runner... again, I hope he proves me wrong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm a little nervous about Robertson lining up at THP agains France, but hopefully he proves me wrong...

I'm keen to see how Campbell goes...

I've had my doubts about him as a test player, and I guess the selectors have as well, but he's such a broken field runner... again, I hope he proves me wrong.
I always thought his work at THP for the Tahs was really solid technically, I always wondered why he kept being stuck at LHP - the side where dynamism around the field is expected more

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That’s a simplistic take. Don’t confuse the need to offer more around the ground as been at the expense of their core scrummaging skillsets.

I get people have their fans favourites, but the level of dynamic play props from other nations are offering around the ground, whilst also doing their core job of holding a scrum is well beyond Gibbon and Robertson.
Prop is a simple position, hold up the scrum, dominate the opposing front row when you can - that is the core skills of a prop. Anything else is a bonus, too often we have promoted props with skills outside these core skills and hoped we would survive

Now if we have units who can do the scrum stuff and add extra value, fantastic, but I don't care how many runs on the wing someone does if they are getting mullered at each scrum

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not a fan of this rotation stuff.

To be frank, it gives a desperate coach a bit of an excuse when things don't go their way. If we get absolutely splintered by the French, Rennie can fall back on the whole 'this wasn't necessarily our strongest side, so we will build from here'.

These Wallabies can't afford to be putting up less than full strength teams each week.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not a fan of this rotation stuff.

To be frank, it gives a desperate coach a bit of an excuse when things don't go their way. If we get absolutely splintered by the French, Rennie can fall back on the whole 'this wasn't necessarily our strongest side, so we will build from here'.

These Wallabies can't afford to be putting up less than full strength teams each week.
yes this 12 months before next RWC not 12 months after the last one.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Prop is a simple position, hold up the scrum, dominate the opposing front row when you can - that is the core skills of a prop. Anything else is a bonus, too often we have promoted props with skills outside these core skills and hoped we would survive

Now if we have units who can do the scrum stuff and add extra value, fantastic, but I don't care how many runs on the wing someone does if they are getting mullered at each scrum

No one said anything about a prop getting a run on the wing, it’s an overly dramatic comment and misses the contributions props can have in the game outside of just scrums.

scrummaging and being dynamic around the ground aren’t mutually exclusive concepts, this isn’t the 90s anymore.

to suggest offering more then just scrummaging is a ‘bonus’ is an outdated view. It’s common place in other leading rugby nations now.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No one said anything about a prop getting a run on the wing, it’s an overly dramatic comment and misses the contributions props can have in the game outside of just scrums.

scrummaging and been dynamic around the ground aren’t mutually exclusive concepts, this isn’t the 90s anymore.

to suggest offering more then just scrummaging is a ‘bonus’ is an outdated view. It’s common place in other leading rugby nations now.

Absolutely, same goes for every other position. They all have there core skills for the position which should be mastered but at test level need to add more to their game to be considered world class.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is it dropping Tate or a planned rotation?

If it was planned, he should have planned to have Tate in the 23 against the best team in the world. I don't mind having each of the 9's starting at least one game on tour, but I feel the best two should play against France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it was planned, he should have planned to have Tate in the 23 against the best team in the world. I don't mind having each of the 9's starting at least one game on tour, but I feel the best two should play against France.

It seems pretty clear based on selections from the last couple of years that Rennie doesn't view Tate in his top two.

He is third but not by much.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The French have an even more inexperienced bench front row than we do. Falatea, their tight head has 3 caps and Robertson is lining up against a debutant in Priso.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Robinson is an example of a prop who would have suited test rugby 10 years ago, reality is the demands/expectations of a test prop these days are much more dynamic then just a potplant who anchors the scrum. Wallabies vs England highlighted this; Ellis Genge not only held his own in the scrum against the Wallabies but was a massive influence around the ground. Robertson and Gibbon aren‘t that.

Angus Bell and Tupou(before this season) are the two Aussie props who offer the most around the ground, but need to iron out the kinks in their scrummaging still.
Strange take. Robertson has always been one of the more athletic props. The arguments against his inclusion use to generally stem around his ability at scrum time, which I think have come on a lot over the last 18 months as he has reached his peak years

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You don't start the third halfback against Scotland, a match the bookies had as pretty much even, and one given the tour schedule was a must-win.

He doesn't know who his best 9s are.

I think he gave McDermott a crack because he hasn't had much opportunity and ultimately it showed what Rennie already thought. He's got great sniping ability but he's third in every other skillset.

If McDermott had been really good I doubt he'd have been out of the 23 this week.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think he gave McDermott a crack because he hasn't had much opportunity and ultimately it showed what Rennie already thought. He's got great sniping ability but he's third in every other skillset.

If McDermott had been really good I doubt he'd have been out of the 23 this week.
What do you see Gordon as best at?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It seems pretty clear based on selections from the last couple of years that Rennie doesn't view Tate in his top two.

He is third but not by much.

Yeah i thought the tables were starting to turn with Gordon's fairly average starts and Tate's running game firing. His passing is really hurting him. If he can sort that out I'm sure he's in the top 2.

But they are all so close the order will surely change again after every tour/super rugby season/series etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.