• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wow, the Wallabies socials have a try scored by Tupou against the Italians in 2018. He used to be so much faster and smaller. I swear he’s lost a beat off his acceleration.

He has but now he can scrum. Still scores a fair few tries from 5 metres out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It is interesting to note just how inexperienced at test level this side is. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) (35), AAA (61), TT (45) are the only players with more than 30 caps. Twenty one players with 30 caps or fewer including a couple of debutants, and there's not much in the way of hardened, experienced test players in the side.

This is a really interesting comment at my first glace the team seems really experienced. Guys like Skelton, Samu, Gordon who are very experienced rugby players but have't got quite the amount of caps to there name. Then you got young guys who have adapted quickly to test level: Ikitau, Frost.

Despite the lack of caps, it doesn't strike me as an inexperienced team. Gibbon is probably the only starting player who might be out of his depth but even he is playing pretty well at the moment. Only the bench gives it an Australia "A" feel.

I'm excited.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Noah's future in gold will be the main talking point during/after this match.

If he steers the team around well and the Wallabies put in a good show with a convincing win, I think it's likely he comes back into the picture for the Ireland game. In contrast, I reckon if the Wallabies struggle in a close game, his Gold stocks will really plummet to the point where he may not see RWC23.

Again, not trying to be disrespectful to the Italians, but skill wise our team should really have them here and it's just up to executing the right gameplan.

Noah really does need to step up. But I don't think it's all make or break with a full super rugby season to play. For a young player, he could easily carve it up at super level (showing all the game management skills he's been lacking) and be right back in the picture.

In contrast, I think it will be a bit harder for Donaldson or any other younger flyhalf with 0 caps to their name, even after a stellar super rugby season. Noah has enough caps now to know he can handle the pressure, he is just lacking some skills.

Which is unfortunate, cos we will basically be choosing Foley, Cooper, Noah as our only experienced options. Otherwise you take a huge risk with a player with 0 caps.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon Skelton could win at least one lineout standing at 2, and getting the timing right. He's big enough and strong enough to snaffle the pill. Doesn't need to get off the ground, just needs to get his mitts on the ball.

I recall Cheika (i think) using Skelton like this year ago in the line-out. Seemed to work fine. But it's not the same platform. The backs will get the ball in a less ideal position (not as many forwards locked up in the line-out) and secondly there is less chance of a maul from that position.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I kind of agree and think I would have fully been behind this 18 months ago. I'm more keen to see him play 5 games in a row for the Reds. He gets up every time after a tackle like he's been shot. Weve all seen the glimpses of brilliance, but he needs to be a bit more robust.
I think we will see him and likely in the centres at some point. I still feel that 13 is his best position.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He used to be so much faster and smaller. I swear he’s lost a beat off his acceleration.
Or maybe he's the new Tendai Mtawarira at international level, too famous so he's overstudied by his rivals who are overprepared to stop him.

Mtawarira was a beast in his first international seasons and then he turned off cause everyone knew how to stop him

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Noah really does need to step up. But I don't think it's all make or break with a full super rugby season to play. For a young player, he could easily carve it up at super level (showing all the game management skills he's been lacking) and be right back in the picture.

In contrast, I think it will be a bit harder for Donaldson or any other younger flyhalf with 0 caps to their name, even after a stellar super rugby season. Noah has enough caps now to know he can handle the pressure, he is just lacking some skills.

Which is unfortunate, cos we will basically be choosing Foley, Cooper, Noah as our only experienced options. Otherwise you take a huge risk with a player with 0 caps.
Viking, what are the odds that we get to 2 months out from RWC and Noah is the only man standing?
I am hoping both he and Donalson have good games as we need back up, atm we are very light on - as per normal......

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon Skelton could win at least one lineout standing at 2, and getting the timing right. He's big enough and strong enough to snaffle the pill. Doesn't need to get off the ground, just needs to get his mitts on the ball.
Absolutely. Not fussed about having slightly less line out options if we get more front foot ball around the field.

If our Hooker can throw accurately which has been its own issue then having 2 primary jumpers is fine. 60% will go to the main guy anyway then split the rest between others. Know your calls, get in there and execute. As soon as the Wallabies seem to stall and have to figure it out it goes to shit.
I recall Cheika (i think) using Skelton like this year ago in the line-out. Seemed to work fine. But it's not the same platform. The backs will get the ball in a less ideal position (not as many forwards locked up in the line-out) and secondly there is less chance of a maul from that position.

I much prefer Skelton operating at 2, unexpectedly targeting a throw without run up and rudimentary jump - then the tricky dicky run up and down, swap around, go back where you started, change, throw to (often) confusion.

BUT, to control the maul you want to be able to set up at the back of the line, no closer than #4. You can't rely on the "Skelton ruse" as a primary jumper. It needs the hybrid lock at 6. And it displaces the caller. "Skelton can jump/take the throw" does not change the need for re-organisation that is needed in the line out. And it has ramifications in the back row selections.

Which is not to say that the whole thing isn't workable. I'd be more comfortable if Skelton was available much more frequently so we have a better chance at sorting it out and getting it properly executed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nick Frost ruled out through ankle injury & illness. Weird that it’s two things. Swain starts, Neville bench.

• Sad
Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If we lose to Italy by a tight margin, it drops us back to #8. What a fabulous ranking to face Ireland with. Irrelevant?

Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.