• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think I understand the thinking behind rotations. But this smacks of hubris.
I think something like that. 10 years ago this was an easy-peasy job but now with the improve of strenght, conditioning, defense and tactics of all Tier 2 nations, the distance is less. You can't underestimate anyone.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Keep an eye on Ange Capuozzo at 15. Now with Toulouse. Lightning quick, great step. Single-handedly set up the last-minute try that sank Wales in the 6N. Welsh player had already been named MOTM, he gave the medal to Capuozzo.
Hes a McKenzie like player. Outside broken play he wont trouble us. Give him the space and he will.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
That matters how?
After RWC the rankings matter again. If you are in a low position, you can't escalate too much in 6 months.

Sponsors should see that too, it's not the same to be a Top 3, Top 5 or Top 10 in terms of money incomes, to deal with new sponsorship deals.

Everything matter, and if you are a Top 3 it means that you consistently beat the best teams and if you are a Top 10, probably you are beaten more than you beat. Does that matter to you?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Keen to see Donaldson get a few minutes, will be interesting to see if he can give Lolesio a run for his money. Might be the Tahs fan in me.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
After RWC the rankings matter again. If you are in a low position, you can't escalate too much in 6 months.

Sponsors should see that too, it's not the same to be a Top 3, Top 5 or Top 10 in terms of money incomes, to deal with new sponsorship deals.

Everything matter, and if you are a Top 3 it means that you consistently beat the best teams and if you are a Top 10, probably you are beaten more than you beat. Does that matter to you?
How do they matter? There's literally one day a every 4 years they are used for RWC pool seeding and even then, you're not in control of anyone else's rankings so yours is quite irrelevant for escaping a pool of death. Sponsors care about rankings? You've got to be kidding me.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Surprisingly good team for how many rotations there are. As Reg pointed out to me this isn’t really an ‘A’ team.

Honestly there’s not many positions there that are obviously replacing someone better (who’s also available). Gibbon, Samu, Gordon.
I like it. Solid tight five, mobile back row with lineout juice and speed to burn out wide. We are lacking playmaker experience on the bench but I reckon this team could rack up a score.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wow, the Wallabies socials have a try scored by Tupou against the Italians in 2018. He used to be so much faster and smaller. I swear he’s lost a beat off his acceleration.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow, the Wallabies socials have a try scored by Tupou against the Italians in 2018. He used to be so much faster and smaller. I swear he’s lost a beat off his acceleration.

Smaller? I thought he looked huge in that video.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I feel good about the team announced. Seeing Nawaquinatawse, Donaldson, Lonergan, McReight, Frost, Mcdermott all in Gold at the same time feels like a good push into the future.

I hope Noah has a good game. I wonder where his head has been at this year with all the change in play making pecking order.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not sure about smaller, does seem that hes lost a bit of that X factor...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I reckon the most important change is to Gibbon and Robertson in the LHP spots. The scrum will be crucial in giving the halves and backline clean ball to do something with. If they're going backwards, then it could end up very messy for the men in gold.

There must also be some concern around the lineout. Two primary jumpers only in Frost and Hanigan. Pete Samu will no doubt be expected to take on a heavier load at lineout time than he usually does. But that's what we get by playing Will Skelton. I hope his positive impacts elsewhere will compensate for the weakness he brings to the lineout.

It is interesting to note just how inexperienced at test level this side is. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (35), AAA (61), TT (45) are the only players with more than 30 caps. Twenty one players with 30 caps or fewer including a couple of debutants, and there's not much in the way of hardened, experienced test players in the side.

There are certainly some significant hurdles they will have to overcome to get the win.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon the most important change is to Gibbon and Robertson in the LHP spots. The scrum will be crucial in giving the halves and backline clean ball to do something with. If they're going backwards, then it could end up very messy for the men in gold.

There must also be some concern around the lineout. Two primary jumpers only in Frost and Hanigan. Pete Samu will no doubt be expected to take on a heavier load at lineout time than he usually does. But that's what we get by playing Will Skelton. I hope his positive impacts elsewhere will compensate for the weakness he brings to the lineout.

It is interesting to note just how inexperienced at test level this side is. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) (35), AAA (61), TT (45) are the only players with more than 30 caps. Twenty one players with 30 caps or fewer including a couple of debutants, and there's not much in the way of hardened, experienced test players in the side.

There are certainly some significant hurdles they will have to overcome to get the win.
Pretty sure Skelton jumps now. Though, yeah, doubt hed be considered a primary target.

Status
Not open for further replies.