• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Joe, I can't believe that the whole squad would not be trained in breakdown work as it is so fundamental. I think Pocock proved that and watching any AB game in the last 20 years would show that.
Forwards also used to travel in pods but that seems to be forgotten. At least they could support the tackled player.
Players/forwards tend to play channels/zones of the field these days, you don't see your loosies chase the ball from one side of the field to the other, they largely stick to their zones. The bloke who passed you the ball in general play becomes your primary support (execpt for the 9 ) and should be the first over the ball if you're tackled. All players do work at the breakdown, how many turnovers did the French 12 get last week?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Players/forwards tend to play channels/zones of the field these days, you don't see your loosies chase the ball from one side of the field to the other, they largely stick to their zones. The bloke who passed you the ball in general play becomes your primary support (execpt for the 9 ) and should be the first over the ball if you're tackled. All players do work at the breakdown, how many turnovers did the French 12 get last week?
One or two a little suspect but he was like a seagull on to a chip

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There could be other reasons - big stretch to say clearly he's made himself unavailable and wants to play for another country.

He's only 26 and was playing well when he went overseas, very much in the fold for a home world cup in 2027.

Yeah, I don't think Brandon Paenga-Amosa is the one who has made himself unavailable for the wallabies - with only 4 seasons of super rugby (2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021) it appears he doesn't qualify for selection as a foreign based player:
Rugby Australia will announce a new “offshore player policy” on Friday that will open the door to a wider selection of overseas-based players for the Wallabies by cutting the Test threshhold from 60 to 30, or if a player has spent five years on a Super Rugby contract.

He did have a few years in the NRC in addition to that though, so they could probably argue themselves around it if they felt they really needed to. As it stands though it's probably enough of a barrier for them not to consider him right now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nuicifora was coaching the breakdown during that time, Jim Williams in charge of the set-piece, which explains a lot doesn't it?

The Wallabies must bring Nuici back from Ireland at all costs, he has transformed Ireland into the No1 side on the planet as Director of Rugby, he is by all accounts a coaching and administrative genius. At this point, it would be insane to not take advantage of his expertise.

How good were the Wallabies at the breakdown from 2011-2013 without Pocock?

Eh… the history around Nucifora’a self appointed assistant position is not so rosy.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I don't think Brandon Paenga-Amosa is the one who has made himself unavailable for the wallabies - with only 4 seasons of super rugby (2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021) it appears he doesn't qualify for selection as a foreign based player:

He did have a few years in the NRC in addition to that though, so they could probably argue themselves around it if they felt they really needed to. As it stands though it's probably enough of a barrier for them not to consider him right now.

Good pickup… so BPA simply doesn’t qualify for the Wallabies unless he comes home.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good pickup… so BPA simply doesn’t qualify for the Wallabies unless he comes home.
Yeah, that's my read, though I've seen the restriction described as 5 years of "service to Australian rugby" which could let them argue NRC counts. It's the sort of thing Rennie might have to take to the board for approval though, so I imagine it's not an area he wants to stick his neck out on right now, instead waiting for the RWC. There's probably an even chance he signs to return to Australia post world cup too, particularily with at least of a couple of Fainga'a, Kaitu'u and Uelese likely to depart, freeing up space.

I do wonder how much the restriction will be relaxed given the need to keep the states on side and a likely desire to have players based in Australia for the Lions and 27 world cup. I have a feeling a lot might pivot on Kerevi signing back in Australia post world cup to free up an international space.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dru, He was pretty good at the breakdown when he was here. Danty?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1F4B4595-E1C3-4A75-8730-625326C4E734.jpeg

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

How good were the Wallabies at the breakdown from 2011-2013 without Pocock?
Nuicifora was only assistant in 2010 and 2011, the 2 most successful years under Deans, also for Wallabies (bar 2015) since.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nucifora was in charge of the u20s 2009-2011 - poor results for what was some our best ever crop of players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, He was pretty good at the breakdown when he was here. Danty?

Haha! SMI - you may be confusing my avatar with The Nomad. Nomad has a Koala. It's cute. I, on the other hand, have a fully fledged feline-hybrid Drop Bear. About to rip the head off a Koala. Well it's a possum, but still.

Pocock? Huge at the breakdown. (Admirable in parliament.) Hooper one of the best to have worn the green and gold. From that time period though, my Reds bias shines through - Liam Gill for me.

Right now at 7 I like Hooper but wonder how long he will last with McReight working hard. I think Holloway/Hanigan has 6, especially as we consider Skelton to start in the row. Valetini is locked in. Forever. It leaves out players like Samu. AND for the breakdown I understand fans thinking about a hooker who is a designated fetcher. I get it, but I still want Porecki for the line out. Just me.

Edit: I may have been just a touch excessive about Valetini, using the word "forever". I'm pretty sure though, his RA contract starts with the words "for the rest of your natural life".

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Nucifora was in charge of the u20s 2009-2011 - poor results for what was some our best ever crop of players.

Australia achieved 3/4 of their best ever U-20 results (2009, 2010, 2011, 2019) while Nuicifora was coach 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Also, you have to take into account that during this period he was juggling several different positions at once, U-20's head coach, national academy & high performance manager, Wallabies assistant coach 2010-2011.

Anyway, we should probably move this discussion to another thread.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah but look at the 2009-2011 squads. We should’ve won it at least once.
I agree, but he was essentially carrying out four jobs at once, hands tied behind your back mate.

also for U-20's, it's often quite dependent on assistant coaches who do the heavy lifting / detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.