• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah agree, I speculated before BPA has to have turned down the offer (and I can only speculate it's to play for Samoa as well).

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
who are the top four australian openside flankers ?
ask as not keen on hooper or mcreight
thanks
If you took Hooper & Mcreight out of it

Pete Samu
Gamble (when eligble)
Luke Reimer
Brad Wilkin

I'm a fan of Jahrome Brown at the Brumbies as well although not sure if he is a pure Openside. Liam Wright is another wildcard depending on his status.

Hooper and McReight are firmly in our top 3 though

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They flew Billy Pollard to Argentina.. big future, but BPA would have been approached. Zero doubt in my mind.
The doubt is whether they want to call up another foreign player, he has previously expressed interest in returning to Australia to play

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
who are the top four australian openside flankers ?
ask as not keen on hooper or mcreight
thanks
If you took Hooper & Mcreight out of it

Pete Samu
Gamble (when eligble)
Luke Reimer
Brad Wilkin

I'm a fan of Jahrome Brown at the Brumbies as well although not sure if he is a pure Openside. Liam Wright is another wildcard depending on his status.

Hooper and McReight are firmly in our top 3 though

why justify the post with a response? "not keen on hooper or mcreight" - who cares? No justification etc. Hooper and McReight are clearly in the top four australian opensides. Regardless of this guy's 'keenness' for them

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The doubt is whether they want to call up another foreign player, he has previously expressed interest in returning to Australia to play
When Quade when down, it was before Pollard was called up wasn't it? Considering the fuss it was to just get Pollard over to Argentina it really didn't make sense ignoring BPA. He was out of season however so might've been on holidays.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When Quade when down, it was before Pollard was called up wasn't it? Considering the fuss it was to just get Pollard over to Argentina it really didn't make sense ignoring BPA. He was out of season however so might've been on holidays.
Could be any number of reasons; holidays, bringing him up to speed with the systems that the Wallabies are using, unlikely to include him when OS picks like MK, QC (Quade Cooper) are available so they’d prefer to bring over Pollard for experience.

I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that lack of selection is evidence he is planning to swap countries.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
West Harbour boy too. Bring back footy in Western Sydney.
I didn't know that. Western Sydney is heading towards oblivion for rugby, except subbies which is still reasonably strong.
Where I live in Southern Highlands it is still strong with several hundred turning out to watch 1st grade games at Bowral Blacks.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I didn't know that. Western Sydney is heading towards oblivion for rugby, except subbies which is still reasonably strong.
Where I live in Southern Highlands it is still strong with several hundred turning out to watch 1st grade games at Bowral Blacks.

From an outsiders point of view I thought the two blues gained a lot of traction last year.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
On the plus side our set piece is pretty ace - no team has really dominated us at any particular aspect of set piece (except maybe exits if you count that).

Basically - take the 2011 Wallabies and just swap everything. Can we attack or dominate a breakdown? fuck no. Can we scrum, lineout and maul? yeah pretty good.
Nuicifora was coaching the breakdown during that time, Jim Williams in charge of the set-piece, which explains a lot doesn't it?

The Wallabies must bring Nuici back from Ireland at all costs, he has transformed Ireland into the No1 side on the planet as Director of Rugby, he is by all accounts a coaching and administrative genius. At this point, it would be insane to not take advantage of his expertise.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There could be other reasons - big stretch to say clearly he's made himself unavailable and wants to play for another country.

He's only 26 and was playing well when he went overseas, very much in the fold for a home world cup in 2027.
I see him as being at the same level as FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Porecki, or thereabouts. No point bringing him in when you have them, Lonergan, Pollard and a couple of others at home.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Joe, I can't believe that the whole squad would not be trained in breakdown work as it is so fundamental. I think Pocock proved that and watching any AB game in the last 20 years would show that.
Forwards also used to travel in pods but that seems to be forgotten. At least they could support the tackled player.

Status
Not open for further replies.