• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can tell you’re in the media game, misquoting at your discretion.

OK…

Ok I made a joke earlier about some old timers who are still around, but you didn’t reference that in your post. I didn’t say they have to be Australian, I said they have to be passionate about Australian rugby, and I’ll stand by that. More specifically they need to be passionate about the Wallabies succeeding. Rennie ticks no boxes, he is a kiwi with a shit W/L record. Most kiwis even attribute the Chiefs success in those first couple of years to Wayne Smith.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep Derpus, accountability, so let's sack the coach. I mean, that's worked so well in the past!
I dont understand when this last happened? I guess Deans but that was more than a decade ago now.

You talk as if our coaching team is a merry go round but in reality its been pretty stable.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, it's easy to blame the coach, and not saying any of them are perfect, but from what I can see they don't give away dumb penalties, throw shit passes, miss tackles or throw crooked line-out throws.
Understand the argument Froggy but it is discipline that is missing and you don't get that out of a coach who wants to enjoy the approval of the dressing room. BTW the lousy skill set has been there for years, why haven't the coaches taken these guys aside and said 'you fix this or you can't play for the Wallabies' ignoring who it is or how much they are paid?

An approach like this might have fixed FF (Folau Fainga'a) and a few others who's skill set is missing large parts of the jigsaw puzzle.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The point I'm trying to make is that since the golden era of McQueen/Eales, we have had a succession of well credentialled coaches and through all that a steady decline in the performances of the Wallabies. Now I'm not suggesting Rennie is the world's greatest coach, and maybe we can do better (not sure who is available right now, and please don't say McKellar) but in that golden era we had a bunch of once-in-a-lifetime players, like Eales, Kefu, Gregan, Larkham, Horan, Little Burke etc.
What I am suggesting is perhaps the biggest issue lies with the quality of the players.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The question in my mind is why any top line coach would want to coach the wallabies?

The players have proved over the last 15 or so years to be totally uncoachable.

I’m not saying Rennie should be kept, but the argument that Razor would want to take on the challenge of changing wallaby culture is laughable.

The current situation is the fault of the players and any argument that it is somehow the fault of their coaching feeds into their mediocre racket.

In everything, you win some, you lose some, but you shouldn’t generally lose showing the same frailties for longer than a decade.

On the field everyone seems to making an effort, but not in trying to improve basics from week to week of the field which have become ingrained in the culture off the team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Key word there is Wallabies. You left that out.

Look, I’m sure he’s a great bloke and could do a far better job than any of us here. However he is coaching the Wallabies because it’s a better paying gig than the one he had at Glasgow. The person who coaches our national team first and foremost needs to have an affiliation with them. Club/provincial coaching is a different animal.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The question in my mind is why any top line coach would want to coach the wallabies?

The players have proved over the last 15 or so years to be totally uncoachable.

I’m not saying Rennie should be kept, but the argument that Razor would want to take on the challenge of changing wallaby culture is laughable.

The current situation is the fault of the players and any argument that it is somehow the fault of their coaching feeds into their mediocre racket.

In everything, you win some, you lose some, but you shouldn’t generally lose showing the same frailties for longer than a decade.

On the field everyone seems to making an effort, but not in trying to improve basics from week to week of the field which have become ingrained in the culture off the team.
Its the players fault Donaldson got subbed on with four minutes to go is it?

What a fucking load of shite. Our players kind of suck - so what does the coach do? Throws on 12 even worse players.

Fucking. Idiot.

Dude should be sacked for continuing to pick Wright alone.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
A couple posters trying to put a positive spin on things. Losing to Italy hurts this team and our game infinity more than possibly beating Ireland with our ‘best’ team.

There is no asterisk next to the L which says ‘Rennie made lots of changes’. It reads as a historic loss and that’s the way it will be remembered by the public.
This isn't unprecedented, worse things have occurred under worse management.

Robbie Deans lost to Samoa and Scotland (twice) because he sent out a thrown together B team, and those Wallabies sides were arguably a lot stronger than the team that was fielded last night.

It's really isn't that bad. Dave Rennie is a significantly better coach than Robbie Deans, the former simply doesn't have the cattle to succeed.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not sure who you are calling a fucking idiot but assume you’ve left it open to interpretation.
Sack the coach is easy and we’ve done it on many occasions with not change. results.
like I said I’m not saying Rennie should be kept, but relying on simplistic and safe options like sacking one person when the whole industry is so clearly decayed is idiotic.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Key word there is Wallabies. You left that out.

Look, I’m sure he’s a great bloke and could do a far better job than any of us here. However he is coaching the Wallabies because it’s a better paying gig than the one he had at Glasgow. The person who coaches our national team first and foremost needs to have an affiliation with them. Club/provincial coaching is a different animal.

I would have thought being their coach was a pretty strong affiliation?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This isn't unprecedented, worse things have occurred under worse management.

Robbie Deans lost to Samoa and Scotland (twice) because he sent out a thrown together B team, and those Wallabies sides were arguably a lot stronger than the team that was fielded last night.

It's really isn't that bad. Dave Rennie is a significantly better coach than Robbie Deans, the former simply doesn't have the cattle to succeed.
#bringrobbieback

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I would have thought being their coach was a pretty strong affiliation?
I may be an anomaly, but I have never lived anywhere than NSW my entire life. Hence I support the Tahs, and NSW teams in other sports, but if I were to move to Qld for example I could see myself defecting. Move me to NZ though, that ain’t happening. I’m not suggesting he’s make disadvantageous decisions intentionally, but this is about Dave Rennie, not the Wallabies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The point I'm trying to make is that since the golden era of McQueen/Eales, we have had a succession of well credentialled coaches and through all that a steady decline in the performances of the Wallabies. Now I'm not suggesting Rennie is the world's greatest coach, and maybe we can do better (not sure who is available right now, and please don't say McKellar) but in that golden era we had a bunch of once-in-a-lifetime players, like Eales, Kefu, Gregan, Larkham, Horan, Little Burke etc.
What I am suggesting is perhaps the biggest issue lies with the quality of the players.
Froggy you also need to factor in the schools NOT playing rugby anymore. A mate of mine ran the outer western Sydney schools comp and he said it had gone from enough to run a knockout competition over several weeks to not enough to even organise a comp.
There is only one thing I am hanging onto and that is 'good managers make things happen' we need a coach who will not put up with BS and sooking over the facilities or some other over parented issue. Maybe Coleman will be the one but all will be on the table after RWC so we might has well take our medicine.
We may as well accept reality and try to support a coach and a bunch of players who - can't close a match out, reduce penalties, kick goals, win our breakdown, throw the ball in straight, pass accurately, support the runner or be part of a controlled D.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
SMI, I'm sure your last sentence in bold is meant to be sarcastic, but it's probably the reality until after the WC next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I may be an anomaly, but I have never lived anywhere than NSW my entire life. Hence I support the Tahs, and NSW teams in other sports, but if I were to move to Qld for example I could see myself defecting. Move me to NZ though, that ain’t happening. I’m not suggesting he’s make disadvantageous decisions intentionally, but this is about Dave Rennie, not the Wallabies.

So, we just lost to an Italian team with a Kiwi coach… does Crowley even know there’s no cream in a carbonara?

We lost another series to England coached by Aussie Ed…

And we’re about to take on one of the top teams in the world in Ireland, who recently won a test series in NZ… currently coached by an Englishman, and a Kiwi prior…

But Dave Rennie is going to sacrifice his reputation and career putting in a half arsed job for Australia, because?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vintage BR.
We're all entitled to our opinions KOB, but a mere statement of "Vintage BR" doesn't add to any worthwhile discussion. I gave my reasons for my opinion - would you care to reciprocate? Did Noah, perhaps, turn over a lot of ball, drop passes, pass to no-one, kick out on the full in general play? I admit I was looking at his positives rather than negatives so could well have missed some glaring fuckups.

Status
Not open for further replies.