• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That was in 2017 right and then he tore his hamstring off the bone a few weeks later against the Barbarians in Sydney.

It was a real shame... he was killing it in that game as well.

That backrow of Dempsey/Hooper/McMahon was looking pretty deadly at the time.

We've had a few promising 6's test careers cut short with injury...

Daniel Heenan barely lasted one starting test against England in 2006... Hugh McMeniman was always talked up and struggled to get a run.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
like stopping tries ?

I think it is something we sorely need to stop.

Our discipline overall is poor and it's questionable whether giving away a yellow card is better than either just conceding the try or risking that the try might be conceded regardless.

There's a high chance the other team still scores after the yellow card and those sort of actions almost certainly contribute to the referee's perception that we are a poorly disciplined side that needs to be cracked down on.

I don't think there are nearly as many times now where a player commits a professional foul and escapes with only a penalty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fuuuuuuuck... How can this be?!

From a Man-of-the-match performance a few years back - & against the ABs as well - to playing for another nation...

If this is true, then this player has been grossly mismanaged by the ARU and the Wallaby (so-called) brains-trust!

He played 4 more seasons in Australia after that before heading overseas.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it is something we sorely need to stop.

Our discipline overall is poor and it's questionable whether giving away a yellow card is better than either just conceding the try or risking that the try might be conceded regardless.

There's a high chance the other team still scores after the yellow card and those sort of actions almost certainly contribute to the referee's perception that we are a poorly disciplined side that needs to be cracked down on.

I don't think there are nearly as many times now where a player commits a professional foul and escapes with only a penalty.
Maybe it is, but its most likely the coaches asking them to do it more than Wright going off on some tangent like the hysteria around here suggests.

The way people talk about him on this forum is so over the top it's not funny, suggesting that Vunivalu had done enough against Japan to drop Wright. Calling into question his character.... His confrontational and wants to win, but people here would like him to be a good little boy who is nice to everyone, and fits some nice good manners rugby chap.

He was always going to be picked for the tour, and wouldnt surprise me if he started.... Brumbies Mafia and all.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tomkin relax, i dont recall anyone suggesting Vunivalu should tour instead of Wright. Most thought NEITHER to go, on recent performances. nor his character, just his on field performance (and i agree the in house instruction may be to stop the try at all cost , even if a yellow). i'm yet to see a good rugby brain in evidence.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
9k=.jpg

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Calling into question his character.... His confrontational and wants to win, but people here would like him to be a good little boy who is nice to everyone, and fits some nice good manners rugby chap.

images

I don't recall anyone attacking Wright the person, more, questioning how often he's demonstrated his rugby brain or lack thereof.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tomkin relax, i dont recall anyone suggesting Vunivalu should tour instead of Wright. Most thought NEITHER to go, on recent performances. nor his character, just his on field performance (and i agree the in house instruction may be to stop the try at all cost , even if a yellow). i'm yet to see a good rugby brain in evidence.
Wright, more than any other current Wallaby, plays "what's in front of him". His tap and go is an example, and probably should have resulted in a penalty to the Wallabies nearly ten metres further up field for the defence failure to retreat. And is he really at fault for making a move that took him 20 metres or so up field with the defence in some sort of shambles if not one other team mate had the smarts to go with him?

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Wright, more than any other current Wallaby, plays "what's in front of him". His tap and go is an example, and probably should have resulted in a penalty to the Wallabies nearly ten metres further up field for the defence failure to retreat. And is he really at fault for making a move that took him 20 metres or so up field with the defence in some sort of shambles if not one other team mate had the smarts to go with him?
Yes.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Wright could be great. If he lost the aspect of niggle in his game and tightened up his decision making, we have a star. You look at Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), couldn’t make the Tahs 23 at the start of the season, worked on his defence, stopped trying to make every touch a highlight reel play and he’s on the cusp of a wallaby cap.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Ala'alatoa
4.Neville
5. Phillip
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami/Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Topou
19. Frost
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Hodge
Lolesio over Foley for me please.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wright could be great. If he lost the aspect of niggle in his game and tightened up his decision making, we have a star. You look at Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), couldn’t make the Tahs 23 at the start of the season, worked on his defence, stopped trying to make every touch a highlight reel play and he’s on the cusp of a wallaby cap.
Why does he have to lose this part of his game, you could look at it as not taking a backward step... He doesn't have to be a goodie to shoes.

I agree he makes choices on what's in front of him with mixed results, but Im sure the coaching staff are telling him to keep chancing his arm.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Why does he have to lose this part of his game, you could look at it as not taking a backward step... He doesn't have to be a goodie to shoes.

I agree he makes choices on what's in front of him with mixed results, but Im sure the coaching staff are telling him to keep chancing his arm.
Agreed he doesn’t have to be a goodie two shoes. But maybe until his game is mistake free he shouldn’t be getting stuck into the opposition when they make a mistake. Just focus his skills and competitive energy on his own game. I really like him as a player, when he’s on he’s electric and in my opinion the niggle and brain fades are holding him back. He doesn’t have turn away from what’s got him this far, just rein in those parts. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Dammit well I guess that probably means Neville and Frost starting. One of Hanigan or Holloway at 6 with the other one on the bench

Plenty of options to call up - Lukhan, Simmons, both Arnold’s, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) or Wilson as more cover for 6. Guessing Rodda isn’t ready. Luke Jones as well

Status
Not open for further replies.