• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We're talking about Hooper for God's sake. If he's back you have to assume he's ready. Start him.
Maybe I just thought of bring him back by the bench, don't think Samu's done much to be dropped, first game back off the bench start the next one.

Just an idea... wouldn't be bothered if he starts either.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My only issue with this team u have picked is Hanigan @ 6; somewhat handy Super R player, but not a test starter.

Holloway deserves the 6 jumper, and while Nawaqanitawase is an easy starter, I am certain he will debut from the bench; Wright to play in no. 11..
I don't think Holloway deserves the 6 jersey but much of a muchness also Halloway is the lock backup.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think Holloway deserves the 6 jersey but much of a muchness also Halloway is the lock backup.

If we are really going to be bringing Will Shelton in, our 6 needs to be a hybrid lock/6. I also think Hooper could expect more jumping (with Skill lifting). It doesn't directly impact the Scotland game but if we introduce that player (and bench) now it can only ease the transition later.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
If we are really going to be bringing Will Shelton in, our 6 needs to be a hybrid lock/6. I also think Hooper could expect more jumping (with Skill lifting). It doesn't directly impact the Scotland game but if we introduce that player (and bench) now it can only ease the transition later.

Samu was equal if not our best player across the whole RC & can play anywhere across the back row surely he has to start at least against Scotland

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Samu was equal if not our best player across the whole RC & can play anywhere across the back row surely he has to start at least against Scotland

MS I don't disagree with the idea that we should put forward our best 23 and avoid experimentation. Unfortunately if Will Skelton is to take the field then experimentation is exactly what is on the cards and we would need, I think, to build for it. In that case 6 should be a hybrid lock.

IMO Samu will not displace either Hooper or Valetini. Nor does he fit the hybrid lock/6 scenario. Perhaps Samu to bench in this scenario?

The real question is whether the experiment with Will Skelton is worth that disruption. Maybe held for Italy? I'm not saying it is good, just that it seems to me to be the Skelton option.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
MS I don't disagree with the idea that we should put forward our best 23 and avoid experimentation. Unfortunately if Will Skelton is to take the field then experimentation is exactly what is on the cards and we would need, I think, to build for it. In that case 6 should be a hybrid lock.

IMO Samu will not displace either Hooper or Valetini. Nor does he fit the hybrid lock/6 scenario. Perhaps Samu to bench in this scenario?

The real question is whether the experiment with Will Skelton is worth that disruption. Maybe held for Italy? I'm not saying it is good, just that it seems to me to be the Skelton option.

WS isnt released for the scot game, so its either pistol pete or JH for the 1st test, maybe tp make things work bobby v can play 6 & pete could play 8? they make it work for the brums

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
WS isnt released for the scot game, so its either pistol pete or JH for the 1st test

Yes Will comes in later. I still think that if they desire that to be regular through the EOYT they should be working the 6 role (and the back row generally) knowing that is coming. If Will is just a possible bench or Italy play then stick to our best options.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think when your starting locks are going to be Neville and Frost, Skelton is an absolute must to start.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hogg, Hastings, Redpath, Harris, White, Christie, J Gray, Ashman and Sutherland will all likely be unavailable because the game sits outside the international window.

Skinner, Haining and Crosbie are all starting in Edinburgh's lineup for this weekend so are presumably unlikely to play, HOyland on the bench has a slightly greater chance but I don't think he'll be seen. WHich leaves a lineup of roughly:

Ollie Smith
Darcy Graham
Mark Bennett
Sione Tuipulotu
Duhan Van Der Merwe
Blair Kinghorn
Ali Price

Jamie Bhatti
George Turner
Zander Fagerson
Scott Cummings
Grant Gilchrist
Jamie Ritchie (c)
Hamish Watson
Matt Fagerson/Jack Dempsey

Dave Cherry
Pierre Schoeman
WP Nel
Richie Gray
Jack Dempsey/Matt Fagerson
George Horne
Ross Thompson
Rufus McLean

Perhaps slightly Glasgow biased in terms of starting front row and reserve backs.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
So what does our best XV look like for this game? Is it worth giving Nawaqanitawase a run?

1. Slipper (c)
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Neville
6. Hanigan (although I'd love to see Gleeson)
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Wright/Nawaqanitawase
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Tupou
19. Holloway
20. Samu
21. White
22. Hodge
23. Petaia
Yes it is definitely worth giving Marky a run….

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think you play Hodge on the bench, that gives you injury cover for every position from 10 to 15, allowing you lots of choice for your other bench back. It allows you to pick Lolesio if you want to give him more game time at 10, or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) to try him for impact in the last 20, etc. It just opens up options.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Hoping for this:

1. Slipper (c)
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Neville
6. Gleeson (Throw him into the fire, if he's struggling, get Samu on early)
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Foley
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Tupou